Swing and Soul 2008 Dec 12th - 14th

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

tackieannie

Swing and Soul 2008 Dec 12th - 14th

#1 Post by tackieannie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Registration is OPEN!!!!

Peter has given a quick break down of the weekend, read below!

For those who are new to Swing & Soul or couldn't make it last year, here is a little background on the event, how it went down last year, and why we are doing it again. (for those who know about Swing & Soul, feel free to skip the following, potentially overly-sentimental paragraph - for those who want more info check out the "about" page on our website: http://swingandsoul.com/about.html)

When we first dreamed this up, we always hoped for this to be an annual event, but there is no guaranteeing that kind of thing nowadays. I think I speak for everyone when I say the event was flat out exhausting to put on. It is surprising how much of my time I spent just trying not to accidentally double-click while DJing off my laptop. But in the talk we had on Sunday afternoon, hearing peoples' stories of how they had connected to this music and how it had changed their lives, I began to have a clearer picture of what the event was. My friends who were teachers were so happy to attend an event where they could just step into the enjoyment of their own dancing, with no job to do besides getting their groove on. And my friends who just love to dance were so happy to have a whole weekend where there were no competitions, just lots of dancing and classes that were low-key and just for fun. And I heard from almost everyone I talked to that they felt less separation at Swing & Soul than they did at most big events - that dancing to this music that was so familiar and awesome, but also off the beaten path just a little bit for your average swing dancer, really put everyone on a more level playing field where people had to create a new dance every song with each new partner.

So with that being said, we are proud to invite everyone back to the ATL in 2008 for another weekend-long celebration of soul. We have a new venue, some new guests, and some new surprises, but still the same great team that brought you Swing & Soul last year. If you missed it the first time, don't miss it again, we promise that this event is going to be something special. Here is some of the cool stuff to expect at Swing & Soul this year:

Dancing Friday, Saturday, & Sunday from 8pm until the wee hours of the morning
Midnight soul food buffet on Friday & Saturday (with bomb ass fried chicken and vegetarian food too)
Amazing special guests including:

• Popin' Pete - Legendary popper from the Electric Boogaloos (google him - you will see the deal)
• Rob Bowman - Grammy award-winning author of Soulsville U.S.A. the Story of Stax Records
and back by popular demand...
• Mama Yeye - this time bringin' live (as opposed to robot) drummers for a class and performance

In addition to all of the happy fun party times we are gonna have a bunch of classes on Saturday and Sunday during the day. Here is a preliminary list of some of the classes we will be offering this year at Swing & Soul, complete with world famous dancers and instructors, and terrible puns (see if you can spot the pun!):

• Soul-o Routine with Steven Mitchell
• Hip Hop with Popin' Pete
• Party Line Dances
• Slow Dance with Steven & Tena
• African Dance with Mama Yeye (with LIVE drummers)
• Peter & Manu's Magical Mystery Ride
and...
• Several hours of Swing & Soul classes - our take on how to swing dance to this soul music

We will have talks by Rob Bowman & Popin Pete as well as performances by Popin' Pete and Mama Yeye along with some surprises that you will have to show up to enjoy. And in addition to all of the above, just like last year, we will have some of the best swing dancers in the world in attendance, ready to get their groove on all weekend.

We are really excited about some of the changes we have made this year but we expect that same good feeling to be there once again. So if you have a love of music that is full of soul then you belong at the Swing & Soul party. Get on down to Atlanta, GA: December 12-14, 2008 and let loose and satisfy your soul.

-Peter & the Swing & Soul team (Manu, Tena, & Steven)

tackieannie

#2 Post by tackieannie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:55 am

Can we talk a minute about Popin Pete? This man is a freakin LEGEND!

Think of any current dance icon and I guarantee you Pete has worked with them or taught them.

Here is a bit of little known trivia for you that will blow your mind. Just listen to Suga Pop (Electric Boogaloos) talk about Pete and Michael Jackson in this YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvurA6CR ... re=related

Register today! www.swingandsoul.com

tackieannie

#3 Post by tackieannie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 am

Check out the latest from Peter!

Hey all check it out, for Swing & Soul this year I made up a line dance and I am going to post it on the Swing & Soul website so folks can learn it before the event if they want so they can bust it out with confidence at Swing & Soul (and anywhere else they feel like it). It's called "Give it to Me" and it goes to Rick James's jam, "Give it to Me Baby." Check out the first chunk here (please excuse my terrible video skills):

http://swingandsoul.com/index.html

There are two more parts and I will post a new part each Friday for the next 2 weeks. Enjoy the dance! I hope to see all of you in Atlanta this year!

-P

Swing & Soul 2008, December 12-14, Atlanta, GA

tackieannie

#4 Post by tackieannie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 am

Swing and Soul will have some of the best dancers in the world in attendance! Our Special Soul Soldiers confirmed thus far:

Sylvia Sykes
Nina Gilkenson
Ramona Staffeld
Naomi Uyama
Todd Yannacone
Andy Reid
Marie Mattson
Jessica Lennartson
Ramiro Gonzalez
Micheal Roberts
Laura Glaess
Caitlin George
Mickey Pedroza
Rebecca Lynn Sweet
Erica Berg
Micheal Kielbasa

Go to www.swingandsoul.com to register!

tackieannie

#5 Post by tackieannie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 am

Parts 2 and 3 of the S&S line are out!

Ok everyone, part 2 is up on the website and we are coming to you live from Skye's Manhattan rooftop - check it:

tackieannie

#6 Post by tackieannie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 am

Here is part 3 and some updates from Peter. Don't forget that the last day for early registration is November 16! www.swingandsoul.com

A couple Swing & Soul updates for you all:
First off, check out the info on our featured speaker, Rob Bowman, an expert on all things Stax. He is a professor at York University and has written countless liner notes along with this amazing book (which you should pick up):

Soulsville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records
http://www.amazon.com/Soulsville-U-S-St ... 692&sr=8-1
Read more about Rob Bowman here:
http://swingandsoul.com/robbowman.html

The Soul Sessions schedule is up too so take a look at what's gonna be happening and remember we'll have a couple sessions Friday night so be there if you can!

Finally, check out part 3 of the Swing & Soul line dance on the website:

This time Naomi and Ramona are helping me out along with Andy Reid on camera duty and Marty Klempner providing moral support. They'll all be there this December and you should be too.

-P

tackieannie

#7 Post by tackieannie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am

AT DOOR PRICING

There will be limited a la carte admission to the Swing and Soul Party sold at the door. These passes can only be purchased prior to entry. No pre-sales will be done. The cost will be:

Friday Night Pass: $50. Which will include admission to soul sessions, main dance, the after-hours dance and the Soul Food Buffet.

Friday After-Hours- 1:30am-5:00am $20 Admittance only after 1:30am. Dance Only
Saturday All-inclusive Pass: $65. Which will include all daytime soul sessions, admission to the main dance, after-hours dance and Soul Food Buffet.

Saturday After-Hours - 1:30am-5:00am: $25 Admittance only after 1:30am. Dance only.

Sunday All Inclusive Pass: $45 Which will include all daytime soul sessions, admission to the main dance and the after-hours dance.

Sunday After-Hours: 1:30am-5:00am: $15 Admittance only after 1:30am. Dance only.

OR register for the full weekend pass below and save a ton of cash!
It's still not too late to register!
http://www.swingandsoul.com/register.php

Special Friday Night Blues Class

Hey all!

It's just around the corner until Swing & Soul time and after our last meeting it sounds like we have had a lot of requests to do a class on our take on the Blues. Sooo, you asked for it, you've got it. Friday night Steven and the gang will lead everyone through an hour of our take on the music, the dance, and the feeling of the Blues. You'll have plenty of chances to work it out to blues songs all weekend long at Swing & Soul, so don't miss this chance to hear from Tena, Peter, Manu, and of course Steven. Check out more info on the Blues class and the rest of the Soul Sessions schedule along with all sorts of info on special guests, performances, and the new Swing & Soul line dance for 2008 which you can learn on the website at www.swingandsoul.com. Hope to see you there!

-Peter & the Swing & Soul team