What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

hooloovoo

International Lindy Hop Championships! -- Aug. 22-24, 2008

#1 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 am

Save the date!!

International Lindy Hop Championships

August 22nd-24th, 2008

This will be a competition not to be missed!

Few tidbits:
Head Judge: Sylvia Sykes
Instructors: Andy Reid, Nina Gilkenson, Heinrick Stillman,
Joanna Ericsson, Naomi Uyama, Todd Yannacone, Peter Strom,
Ramona Staffeld, Mattias Lundmark, Hannah Zetterman
Band: Boilermakers!

Hotel located one mile from Reagan National Airport! Free shuttle to hotel.
Shops, restaurants and subway system (Metro) directly next to hotel
ILHC rate of only $95/night

Stay tuned for more details!

Tena, Nina and Sylvia
International Lindy Hop Championships
http://www.ILHC.com

hooloovoo

#2 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 am

So, why the fancy new competition weekend?

Tena Morales, Nina Gilkenson, and Sylvia Sykes have played a part in organizing, judging, competing, or sitting around talking all night at almost every major swing ever. So why start a new swing competition weekend? To combine all their talents to create a high-quality international competition weekend that gives back to the community.

ILHC will strive to hold passionate contests open to the highest talents of swing-era dancing from around the world, and include loud bands and the sorts of DJs that make you ask them what song they just played. They will strive for a structure of judging and contests that will inspire yells, clapping, and the true hallmark of a great competition weekend, flying sweat.

Registration opening soon. Visit www.ilhc.com

hooloovoo

#3 Post by hooloovoo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:37 pm

ILHC: I Love Hoppin' Competitions

$13,000 in prize money.
Perhaps the most surprising thing about this event is how a Lindy Hop competitor could actually win big money at this event. You might have enough left over to pay for a kippy belt.

The Spirit of Lindy, not the spirit of anger and bitterness.
It's the goal of ILHC to hold competitions fostering the spirit of the early swing-dances, based on joy and friendly support; you know, the healthy kind.

Up-and-coming competitor?
Don't worry about being muscled out of competition finals by champion dancers-champion divisions will be separate.

Judge for yourselves.
Not literally. However, ILHC is honored to bring in some of the finest judges -and dancers-- in the history of Lindy Hop, including Steven Mitchell, Elliot Donnelly, Sylvia Sykes, Nick Williams, and more.

Charleston, Cabaret, Team, Juniors, Jack and Jills, Showcase.
If you have a skill, aside from playing spoons, there's a chance for you to show it. Okay, even if you play spoons.

Balboa Lover?
We have Sylvia Sykes heading up a team of Balboa judges as well as nationally known Balboa DJs to create first-rate Balboa competitions-a strictly and a champions.

Street cred.
Do well in an ILHC comp, you can claim, rightfully so, that you're an International Lindy Hop Champion.

Register at www.ilhc.com

trev

#4 Post by trev » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Street cred.
Do well in an ILHC comp, you can claim, rightfully so, that you're an International Lindy Hop Champion.

So what makes it international? Is it team USA vs team Sweden etc, or will it change countries each year, or is it just that anyone can enter?

hooloovoo

#5 Post by hooloovoo » Sun May 18, 2008 11:29 am

trev wrote:
Street cred.

So what makes it international? Is it team USA vs team Sweden etc, or will it change countries each year, or is it just that anyone can enter?
Anyone can enter. There are no restrictions based on non-American citizenship. Teams and competitors from all countries are welcome! :D

hooloovoo

#6 Post by hooloovoo » Sun May 18, 2008 11:29 am

ILHC

10 Reasons To Sign Up For ILHC Right Now.

10. Famous lindy hopper Steven Mitchell will move from judging people on the sidelines for free to being an official judge.

9. Lindy Showcase, Lindy non-aerial showcase, three strictly lindy comps, jacks-and-jills, Charleston, team, cabaret, Balboa, juniors.

8. It's in a hotel, which means 95% of the events can be attended while drinking beer in a bathrobe.

7. Balboa competitions with ACTUAL balboa music and ACTUAL champion Balboa judges, captured in the wild forests of Southern California.

6. If anyone knows how to run an event, it's Tena Morales. If anyone knows how to run a competition, it's Sylvia Sykes. And if any one knows how to run back and forth between them in three-inch heels all weekend, it's Nina Gilkenson.

5. Separate Champions divisions means up-and-coming dancers won't have to compete with the people they just took a private lesson from.

4. Laugh and cry with Peter Strom and Nicole Freidman, your Sonny and Cher-style MCs for the weekend.

3. Special rates for international dancers!

2. Classes from some of the finest talents in Lindy Hop and solo dancing!

1. Early bird registration ends May 31. The event is now roughly the price of half a tank of gas.

hooloovoo

#7 Post by hooloovoo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:59 pm

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATES TO ILHC

1. The team competition will now take place 5 p.m. Sunday.
2. There will be a 30% increase in badassness for the weekend.
3. The pro-am is no longer a Jack and Jill. It is now a standard pro-am. Contestants choose their own music.
4. Marty Klempner will not be allowed to remove clothing during the contests.
5. All of Friday's dance competitions are moved back a half hour. (9:30pm Strictly Lindy Open Prelims; 10:30pm Strictly Balboa Prelims; 11:30pm Lindy Hop Classic; 12:30am Strictly Balboa Finals 1:30am Solo Charleston 5:00am Ballroom Closes)
6. The Strictly Balboa contest finals will be in spotlight format.
7. The Champions Jack and Jill is now an invitational Jack and Jill. Dancers will be decided by the organizers. The $20 sign-in fee will go towards the Lindy Hoppers Fund.
8. Organizers are still trying to decide if rock-steps will be allowed in competitions. If you have a strong opinion in this matter, register for ILHC today. www.ilhc.com.

www.ilhc.com

KattenPejst

#8 Post by KattenPejst » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am

hooloovoo wrote:ILHC

7. Balboa competitions with ACTUAL balboa music and ACTUAL champion Balboa judges, captured in the wild forests of Southern California.
What do you mean by "actual balboa music"? Do you have any requirements on what "balboa music" is? I'm curious.

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 pm

KattenPejst wrote:

What do you mean by "actual balboa music"? Do you have any requirements on what "balboa music" is? I'm curious.
The ILHC marketing campaign seems to be pretty light hearted and tounge in check. I'm sure that goes for that particular statement as well. I'm guessing it probably stems from complaints of Balboa contests featuring music that was simply fast, and didn't really have that Balboa "feel." Looking at the DJ lineup I'm sure they'll make good on their claim.

I don't think anyone has really ever done a good job explaining (in words) exactly what makes a song "Balboa music." You just know a song can be dumped in that bucket when you hear it... it just has that certain "feel." I always default to Teddy Powell's Jamaica Jam as a prime example of what that "feel" is.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

KattenPejst

#10 Post by KattenPejst » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Oh, I see. Yeah. I missed that when I read too fast.

I agree, I can't define it by words either but I know when a song is suitable for balboa when I hear it. That certain "feel"...

tackieannie

#11 Post by tackieannie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:03 pm

This update just in from the powers that be!

Sheraton Hotel room block is good until July 23rd!

Price is only $95 a night. We sold out of Sunday night's room block last week and I got hit with calls that the regular price of a hotel room was over $250! We were able to get a block increase for that night but we most likely will not get another increase.

If you plan on staying in the hotel BOOK NOW!!!

hooloovoo

#12 Post by hooloovoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:
KattenPejst wrote:

The ILHC marketing campaign seems to be pretty light hearted and tounge in check. I'm sure that goes for that particular statement as well. I'm guessing it probably stems from complaints of Balboa contests featuring music that was simply fast, and didn't really have that Balboa "feel." Looking at the DJ lineup I'm sure they'll make good on their claim.

I don't think anyone has really ever done a good job explaining (in words) exactly what makes a song "Balboa music." You just know a song can be dumped in that bucket when you hear it... it just has that certain "feel." I always default to Teddy Powell's Jamaica Jam as a prime example of what that "feel" is.
Exactly. Thanks Reuben!

In the past, at competition weekends that have multiple styles of swing dance competitions (ie. Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, etc.), the Balboa competitions have seemed to fall a little bit by the wayside--in music, judging, and general run.

So, ILHC is trying it's best to provide a balboa competition that will have a good reputation among the balboa dancers.

hooloovoo

#13 Post by hooloovoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

The International Lindy Hop Championships

A friendly reminder to bring "it" to the competition in August.

* Lindy, Balboa, Solo Charleston, Cabaret, and plenty of other competitions will possibly require you to bring an extra carry-on of "it."

* For those using specially-discounted international ILHC rates, remember to declare "it" when entering the country.

* It has been noted by several of your peers that they will bring "it" so much that the only way they will be able to get rid of "it" is to shovel all of "it" into your underwear. To retaliate, simply sign up to compete at ILHC, and pack a bigger shovel.

* Bringing it all weekend can be tiring. You will probably need a hotel room in which to regroup, hang and iron your "it," and a place to shower off the residue involved with bringing "it." Please remember that the discount prices for hotel rooms ($95/night) is good only until July 23rd.

http://www.ilhc.com

hooloovoo

#14 Post by hooloovoo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 am

IMPORTANT ILHC UPDATES!

1. Our hotel is close to capacity, so get a room soon.

2. Skye Humphries and Marie Nahnfeldt Mattsson have been added to our instructor line-up, adding to both the coolness and the blondeness of our staff.

3. There are only a few spots left for follows in the advanced Jack and Jill. And remember, payment must be received for both weekend pass and competitions to ensure spot.

4. The price for weekend passes goes up July 30th.

5. We are almost one month away. If you have not practiced, found a partner, or begun learning the Lindy Hop, now would be the perfect time to start.

6. Marty Klempner is now allowed to take off clothing in a competition, but only in a division that allows trick steps.

7. The Invitational Jack & Jill will feature 24 of the best dancers in the world. You won't want to miss it.

hooloovoo

#15 Post by hooloovoo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:09 am

Less than two weeks away!

Online registration will close at Midnight Monday August 18th.

All mail-in registration payments must be received by Thursday August 14th.

Don't forget that you can check the status of or change your registration online through our website at www.ILHC.com

Due to a hotel error in regards to our web link to ILHC's hotel block, the hotel has extended the discount price of $95 per night until August 15th.

If you want to book a room, then, try calling the hotel directly at 703-486-1111, or Sheraton's toll free line, 866-716-8115. Tell them you want the International Lindy Hop Championship rate. They should still give you the $95 rate, but only King beds are available.

If they balk, then call the hotel and ask to speak to Michelle Busch (Sales Manager) and give her all your information and she will book the room for you. If that doesn't work, then contact Tena Morales at tenailhc@gmail.com and she will personally address the issue.

We're almost there!
www.ilhc.com