Battle of the DJs - HJDF/Swing City

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#46 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:59 pm

Shorty Dave wrote: I also heard the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale.
Yeah, but you can't make love to a bridge...

main_stem

#47 Post by main_stem » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:34 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote: I also heard the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale.
Yeah, but you can't make love to a bridge...
I'm sure some have tried. YUCK!
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Mr Awesomer

#48 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:18 pm

Last time I checked, Frankie Manning is but one man. It's almost a shame so many dancers are overlooked because so much focus is placed upon him.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

Re: who's going to win?

#49 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:05 am

Nate Dogg wrote:I thought the concept sounded silly to begin with. Now, I really feel that way. How many songs can you play in 15 minutes, 3 - 5 songs. The rules above sound goofy.
That was my initial reaction, but I'm turning the other way. Although I wouldn't want it to become a regular thing, it is an interesting twist. You just need to understand that the point is not to develop a rhythm or flow, yourself, but to try a out-do the others in your selections, in part by distinguishing yourself from them by playing something different than everyone else plays.
Nate Dogg wrote:If we were to do a similar contest locally, I can tell you that certain DJs would not have a chance regardless of their performance, simply because other DJs have more friends.

I just hope the winners/losers of this event don't take the results too seriously.
I agree with this point completely.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

grapevine

#50 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:34 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Just curious what the "grapevine" is. Janice? Nicole? If we're gonna get all in a hussy over grapevine, then...

At the end of the evening, whoever ends up "winning" will have played much more than 15 minutes worth of music. This I heard from Janice and Nicole. So I'm just wondering what grapevine you're talking about.
Ummmmmmmm - please don't spank me......the grapevine is exactly that - gossip from someone who heard something from someone who heard something from someone who actually might be involved in the event. Since I didn't hear it directly, I don't feel comfortable quoting any sources.

No one who is actually a contestant in the battle who reads this board regularly (three who are moderators) has confirmed that this will be the format.

Despite that, we have gotten a lot of fun and interesting discussion from the arm-chair thread, so I'm glad I posted.

I'm also glad that I'm attending so I will not have to rely on the grapevine for what actually happens during the battle. The more I think about what "Harlem Jazz" is, the more excited I am to be at the event.

Brenda

djstarr

#51 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:42 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
djstarr wrote: The other interesting thing about the schedule is that the Harlem night tour (i.e. bar hopping) starts at 9 on Sat. and the Battle of The DJ's starts at 10......coincidence? I think not...
Please excuse my ignorance; I'm really confused by this comment. Should the Harlem night tour be during the day instead? Or should it be Fri night or Sun night during one of the live band events? I don't think I get your point.
I assume you will be there? Let me buy you a drink Saturday!

I was only trying to make a joke - based on the comments about the winner of the battle being determined more by luck and friendliness to the crowd than actual skill. I was just thinking the crowd might be a lot more friendlier to the DJ's after coming in from the Harlem night tour......

Shorty Dave

#52 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:48 am

djstarr wrote: I assume you will be there? Let me buy you a drink Saturday!
Twist my arm!

Swifty

#53 Post by Swifty » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:40 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Do you call the below "strict guidelines"?
Fair enough, maybe they're not strict. Regardless, any guidelines whatsoever are going to change some of the DJs approach from their norm. I'm just saying that I'm not counting on using this competition to help me decide who's a better DJ.

djstarr

#54 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:43 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:
djstarr wrote: I assume you will be there? Let me buy you a drink Saturday!
Twist my arm!
Since we haven't met and you don't have a picture posted I think you will have to find me this weekend - or if you know any of the Seattle dancers that will be there (we have one of our star teams performing!) have them point me out.

Looking forward to saying hi to people on this board who will be in Harlem!

Zot

#55 Post by Zot » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:02 am

Just wanted to say I got a kick out of meeting all the DJs in the Battle. Loved everything that was played.

I definitely wish we had more time to build a set, but I was happy just to be part of the acction really. The battle definitely brought out some fantastic stuff from everyone, and even though the venue sucked pretty badly, the atmosphere in there was electric. A great achievement. I can't say enough about what a terrific time I had on the weekend.

djstarr

Congrats to all!

#56 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:26 am

I really really enjoyed myself this weekend --- I thought all the music was great and it was nice to here such diverse sets. And it really made the tight venues bearable!

I'm DJ'ing at the Century in Seattle this Wednesday, and I would like to play music that I heard this weekend -- I got some of the songs, but some stuff I didn't know.

I was wondering if the DJ's who battled could post their playlists for the battle pretty please? I think everyone would be really interested in what was played.

Thanks!