Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Albert System

New York City Balboa Festival- Feb. 24- 26

#1 Post by Albert System » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:49 am

THE NEW YORK BALBOA WEEKEND!!
Friday to Sunday, February 24-26, 2006
www.nycbalboa.com

EVENT PURPOSE:
BUILDING A BALBOA COMMUNITY HERE IN NEW YORK CITY!

A Word or Two from the Organizer- Michael Ingbar-Fiftynites

This past April, I attended my seventh Balboa weekend, this one in San Diego called the "Balboa Rendezvous" run by Joel and Alison Plys. It's a fun weekend. I've attended this event both years it was run.

Joel offers the "Rendezvous Raffle" each year. All attendees can enter the raffle. The winner gets Joel and Alison to come to their city for FREE for a weekend of classes. The idea is to make learning Balboa affordable and to get the community really inspired and wanting to learn the dance. Last year Austin, Texas won.

The winner pays for airfare, food, lodging, a venue, the DJ?s and the bands. I entered and I won.
So, Joel and Alison are coming to NYC!

We are also featuring a dance on Saturday, Feb. 25 co-sponsored by Hopswingjump Productions with the Boilermaker Jazz Band at the Children's Aid Society on Sullivan St. www.hopswingjump.com

This is a tentative schedule: WATCH HERE FOR UPDATES for possible location changes!
(Note: Classes are in ONLY Balboa and Bal Swing. There will be no Swing, Charleston, Shag, WCS, or Peabody Classes. Just Balboa. They are progressive. One class builds on the previous. Be sure to go to all of them.)

FRIDAY NIGHT at Sandra Cameron Dance Center:

7 PM - Registration Opens
7:00-8:00 PM - Instructors Summit - Building a Balboa Community in New York City
8:00-9:00 PM - DJ Summit "It's not about the BPM"- All DJ's, musicians, or anyone that is interested in what makes a song good to Balboa to is invited. This is free to registered AND non-registered people.
8:00-9:00 PM - Absolutely Totally Beginner basic class.
9:00-1:00 AM - DJ'ed Balboa dance practice

SATURDAY at You Should Be Dancing

Registration Opens at 11:00 A.M
11:30 AM -1:00 PM - Mastering Transitions ? your key to Balboa and Bal/Swing success
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM - LUNCH
2:00 PM - 3:30 PM - Lollies
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM - Throwouts

SATURDAY NIGHT - Vintage Dance! At the Children?s Aid Society Auditorium

9:30 PM to 1 AM Dance to the Boilermakers Jazz Band, the most popular band in the country for Balboa dancing. Dress Up in your best Vintage Get Up for largest ever number of Balboa dancing at one time ever seen in the History of the World (should we invite Guinness?) in New York City!!! There will also be a performance by the New York City Balboa Team!!

SUNDAY at Dance Manhattan

11:30 AM -1:00 PM - Pure Balboa ?Keep that close connection
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM - LUNCH
2:00 PM - 3:30 PM - Crossovers
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM - Putting it all together

SUNDAY NIGHT

Dancing from 8 PM to ?. Possibly a DJ'ed dance, possibly a band. Who knows? Where? We don?t know yet!