Jesse and Candy's Jitterbug Central

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

GemZombie

#1 Post by GemZombie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:34 pm

I thought I'd post about this here because you all might be amused by our DJ plan for the first night:

My wife and I are starting up a new once a month(ish) dance venue in SLO, and since the local Cal Poly Swing Club also put together a workshop that weekend (inviting Neil Figuracion to teach), we decided to start the venue this weekend in order to let workshop attendies have a place to dance.

For our "Pre-opening" night we have put together something quite unique. Candy and I will have a DJ battle, but this will be no ordinary battle. Candy will be DJing directly from true 78 RPM records (using slightly modern equipment that does indeed give great sounds). This is a true vintage treat, and I'm already convinced she'll kick my butt because she has some great tunes on those 78's that I've not been able to find on CD.

So if you folks are looking for something to do this weekend, maybe head on into SLO, and check out the dance and/or workshop. For pre-opening night only I may just allow folks who travel more than 60 miles to get in free. If you can't make it, keep it in mind and maybe plan a future trip to SLO that will include a night of dancing.

Details as follows:

Jesse and Candy's Jitterbug Central:
- December 3rd, 9:00 - Midnight
- $5 (Free if you attend the CalPoly Swing Club Workshop)
- DJ Battle: Candy '78 RPM' Gearhart vs. Jesse 'Hi-Tech' Gearhart
- Guest DJ: Neil Figuracion
- American Dance Studio - 3195 McMillan Ave, San Luis Obispo

- Starting January the venue will begin a fairly regular once a month schedule and include a second room dedicated to another style of dancing, with that room changing each month (Possibilities include a Blues Room, Balboa room, Ballroom, Salsa... whatever the demand is for).