[Answered] Ram Session, Cozy Cole

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

junglekid

[Answered] Ram Session, Cozy Cole

#1 Post by junglekid » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:20 am

Hi there,

I vaguely recall there's a thread specifically for song IDs, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, in Herrang last year (2003) Manu played a track while DJ battling that I got a broken snippet of from a video:

http://www.caneable.com/scrt/manu.html

What is that track? It rules. I've checked through all the main vibe players stuff I could easily find: pretty sure it ain't Hamp or Milt Jackson. Jury's still out on Red Norvo and Teddy Charles... but it's stumped me. The trumpet soloist sounds identifiable too and the bowed bass + singing at 1:42 is quite distinctive. Just after that they restate the main theme.

Tom

Greg Avakian

#2 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:41 am

Why not ask Manu?

Any possibility it's Slim & Slam? Vibes, unison bass/scatting...

Major Holly does the "Bass and vocals" thing too, but I don't know him well at all...

Anyway, it's a hot track!
Last edited by Greg Avakian on Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djstarr

#3 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:34 pm

Kevin Tamura gave me a tip about telling Slam from Major Holley - (hope I get this right) Slam sings an octave above the bass while Major Holley sings in unison with the bass. Given this, I'd vote that the bassist on Manu's track is Slam.

I do have Major Holley on a Roy Eldridge album......and the track sounds similar to what they do on Little Jazz and the Jimmy ryan all-stars...

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:33 pm

plus major holley didn't play with slim

slim only played with people whose name sounded good with his name, like "slim and slam" and "slim and bam" never "slim and holley"

Greg Avakian

#5 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:31 pm

Yakov wrote:plus major holley didn't play with slim

slim only played with people whose name sounded good with his name, like "slim and slam" and "slim and bam" never "slim and holley"
??? Please note seperation by paragragh...

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:43 pm

it sounds more like a Lionel Hampton session, maybe Lionel Hampton and the Just Jazz Allstars which included Slam Stewart.

Spuds

#7 Post by Spuds » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:39 pm

Neat tune.

I'd love to take credit for it but I'm afraid it's not in my book. Is it possible that Mohan or another DJ played it? I know my stuff very well and I have no idea what song that is.

It may be Mohan's. :?:

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:50 am

How come Mohan's not on the board? (at least I don't think he is). I enjoyed his music in Herrang and would be interested in hearing his perspective on our various topics.

main_stem

#9 Post by main_stem » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:11 pm

It's definitely Slam. It's definitely Slam. As for who it's by my guess is Don Byas. The playing and arrangement is very similar to stuff I have by him. Heck I might even have the song. I'll have to investigate when I get home.

Cheers,
Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

junglekid

#10 Post by junglekid » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:50 am

Spuds wrote:Neat tune.

I'd love to take credit for it but I'm afraid it's not in my book.
Oh damn. In the video, you're standing on stage, bopping around the dj battle podiums and looking very dj-esque.

I thought I was getting there with some sessions Red did with Slam, Diz and Bird along with a few others in 1945. But I'm stumped again.

Tom

main_stem

#11 Post by main_stem » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:16 am

SO it wasn't on anything I had by Don Byas, but then again that's not much. I also looked at Cozy Cole, since Slam worked with himin similar group arrangements. Unfortunately that didn't go anywhere either.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:44 am

Wow, you even stumped Rayned.

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:16 am

Ha - Rayned might have the best guess. The clip is from a different part of the song, but I think it might be Central Ave Breakdown from Lionel Hampton and the Just Jazz All Stars:

Amazon Link

Ryan

#14 Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:29 pm

Central Ave Breakdown was my guess after listening to it last night. Anyone actually have the All-Stars album to confirm?

Greg Avakian

#15 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:29 pm

Ryan wrote:Central Ave Breakdown was my guess after listening to it last night. Anyone actually have the All-Stars album to confirm?
That was my first thought, but I listened to it and the ending is completely different.

Good news: CA Breakdown is a hot tune that I have never played and I will now (might edit out the drum solo, but I haven't listened to it enough to know). It's much better than the version on the "Tempo & Swing" album.

"Kaba's blues" is nice too.