[Answered] Mack the Knife, Ella Fitzgerald

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

wheresmygravy

[Answered] Mack the Knife, Ella Fitzgerald

#1 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:23 pm

Someone a couple of years ago, before I was DJ'ing, played a song, either Mack the Knife or Dukes Place, with Ella, Sarah Vaughn, and one other vocalist. It was a live recording. I thought it was a great little novelty version and one of the vocalist even did an impression of Louie Armstrong.

Ring any bells?

Thanks!

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:01 pm

there's that live at newport cd with Ella, Carmen, and Billie although i don't think they sing together. i think on the "i can't give you anything but love" the vocalist imitates other singers.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:13 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:there's that live at newport cd with Ella, Carmen, and Billie although i don't think they sing together. i think on the "i can't give you anything but love" the vocalist imitates other singers.
That song is being played this month on Solomon's Yehoodi Guest DJ show (I Can't Give You Anthing But Love). If you are curious to check it out.

Nathan

Shorty Dave

#4 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:00 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:there's that live at newport cd with Ella, Carmen, and Billie although i don't think they sing together. i think on the "i can't give you anything but love" the vocalist imitates other singers.
The Vocalist who sings that is Ella. And the whole cd is great! (But sorry, Jerry, I don't think this is what you're looking for)

wheresmygravy

#5 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:32 pm

Shorty Dave wrote: The Vocalist who sings that is Ella. And the whole cd is great! (But sorry, Jerry, I don't think this is what you're looking for)
Does she do an impression of Louis Armstrong in it? I may have just thought it was different singers. I will find it and see if thats the one I am thinking of.

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:48 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote: The Vocalist who sings that is Ella. And the whole cd is great! (But sorry, Jerry, I don't think this is what you're looking for)
Does she do an impression of Louis Armstrong in it? I may have just thought it was different singers. I will find it and see if thats the one I am thinking of.
Ella does impressions of Louis Armstrong and Rose Murphy on this live recording of "I Can't Give You Anything But Love", also singing a verse as herself. She's quite convincing with all three. ;) It's one of my favorite Ella tracks, and as Dave says, the whole cd is great!

For more info: At Newport

Jesse

swingshiftmusic

#7 Post by swingshiftmusic » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:31 pm

I believe the song you're looking for is Ella doing Mack the Knife on her birthday in Berlin. The albmu is "Ella Fitzgerald's Birthay Concert", At least it was 15 years ago..... The novelty aspect is great, because she forgets the word to the song, but doesn't stop singing.

Dan Baker

kennly

#8 Post by kennly » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:21 pm

swingshiftmusic wrote:I believe the song you're looking for is Ella doing Mack the Knife on her birthday in Berlin. The albmu is "Ella Fitzgerald's Birthay Concert", At least it was 15 years ago..... The novelty aspect is great, because she forgets the word to the song, but doesn't stop singing.

Dan Baker
I believe you're right, this is the song where Ella imitates Louis...Also, you can find it on the Ken Burns Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald CD, which might be the more affordable option...

Greg Avakian

#9 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:52 pm

Actually, Ella imitates Louis Armstrong on quite a few live recordings; for a couple of years it was a regular part of her shows. She also does Janis Joplin...! :D