[Answered] High Tide / I Ain't Mad At You, Count Basie

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

[Answered] High Tide / I Ain't Mad At You, Count Basie

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:43 am

I heard one time a version of THAT'S ALL that was really really really hardcore and kickin'... there's the Count Basie version on Complete RCA Victor, but the one I heard was much stronger, like late Lionel Hampton Orchestra or Wynonie Harris, etc. The band says I AIN'T MAD AT YOU! (ending on a high note on "you") and YOU AIN'T MAD AT ME! (or maybe DON'T BE MAD AT ME!) and each time, the solo singer shouts "That's all!" in a kind of whiny voice sort of. Anyway does anyone recognize what I'm talking about?

-yak.

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:36 pm

Basie's early versions of this chart is actually called High Tide, and he has recored a few different versions. I have 3, and they all sound quite different. Two are off the The Count Basie Story [Proper] album

I've got another version on a french record label. I'll have a look for it later.

Brian

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:46 pm

http://home.t-online.de/home/themenschmidt/hank1.htm
http://home.t-online.de/home/themenschmidt/mad.ht1/

High Tide* / I Ain't Mad At You (Basie - Green - Rutherford) Count Basie 15May45. Taps Miller, vocal. * You may wonder what "High Tide" has to do with it: "High Tide" and "I Ain't Mad At You" were recorded and published together in 1945. These are actually two tunes put together. It became a long number (5:18 )! In later performances the tunes were separated, though there are always hints at the other one.

High Tide Count Basie 9Oct45
High Tide Boyd Raeburn Dec45, with Britt Woodman (note 1)
I Ain't Mad At You Count Basie 22May47. With Taps Miller, vocal; Paul Gonsalves.
High Tide Count Basie Royal Roost 18Sep48, with Clark Terry, Paul Gonsalves. Scat vocal by Clark Terry?

The music of Hank Cinq recalls the mad leaps up and down of Basie's "I Ain't Mad At You", rec. 22May47 by Count Basie & His Orchestra with Paul Gonsalves, a bebop novelty with Taps Miller's scatting. The tempo is MM = 132. It goes like this: "I Ain't Mad At You [up] - You Ain't Mad At Me [down] - and that's all!". It was sung by the whole band in unison, the voices bending over into falsetto for the high B-flat. The use of a figure followed immediately by its inversion makes it a conjuration or a formula of exorcism. Let me call it the "up-and-down formula", which in music is commonly called a call-and-response pattern. It can be understood as a typical laconic Basie settlement of a quarrel. The lyrics state clearly that a situation had to be cleared up.

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:30 pm

ah yass, that's the one i'm looking for. basie after all. thanks.