[Answered] John Brown's Body, Monty Alexander

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JeremyLewis

[Answered] John Brown's Body, Monty Alexander

#1 Post by JeremyLewis » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:31 pm

You played a Monty Alexander song at ALX this year that had at 5 people up at the DJ booth by the end of it. I think I heard you say it was off the "Alexander The Great" LP- is that right? What was the song name? And how'd you get the LP/ who put it on CD for you?

Really enjoyed your stuff by the wauy,
Jeremy Lewis

(Officially my first post to Swing DJ's)

main_stem

#2 Post by main_stem » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:46 am

I could tell you but I won't steal Kevin's thunder.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

KevinSchaper

#3 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:34 pm

Here it is on AMG

I actually heard about it from Sylvia Sykes.. she told me about having it in the 60's and wearing it out.. it took a few months, but I eventually found a copy. (two actually, and one got lost in the mail)

There's actually a sealed copy online right now for $40, which is only a little more than I paid for my sorta dingy copy.

Shorty Dave

#4 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:50 pm

Jeremy! Wassssuuuupppppp?

Indeed, kudos once again to Kevin for one of those very rare moments where seemingly none of the other DJs heard that song, *and* we all loved it and came running to the booth after it was over to find out what the hell it was. I don't know if I even thanked my partner! LOL!

Ron

#5 Post by Ron » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:07 pm

From my notes I found that Solomon Douglas played a track off that album at the St. Louis blues exchange. And its unavailable on CD, I can't even find it used! Which are the good tracks?

KevinSchaper

#6 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:25 pm

yeah.. he gave me a track from Swingmatism that I couldn't use or play in public, so I gave him the JBB track, meaning to apply the same rules, but I think I forgot to clarify.. :)

there's another track or two with similar builds and falls and changes and stuff, but the melodies & rhythm aren't nearly as nice.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Since the actual song title was never mentioned, and the AMG link is dead, anyone want to complete this one?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

lipi

#8 Post by lipi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:22 pm

It's "John Brown's Body", track 1 of the LP "Alexander the Great" by Monty Alexander. There's another thread about this very album: http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... 0965d7940e

There's still no CD release. There's a Monty Alexander boxed set with the same title, but it doesn't contain that LP. I've almost ordered it, oh, maybe three times now, hoping that the included version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is similar.