[OPEN] Work Song

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

penguin

[OPEN] Work Song

#1 Post by penguin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 am

I'm trying to remember who the artist is on the version of Work Song that **everyone** plays.

Any suggestions?

lipi

Re: [OPEN] Work Song

#2 Post by lipi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 am

Need more information. "Everyone" plays different things in different areas of the world.

Nina Simone and Oscar Brown Jr. both have been played a lot over the years. There's also a Sammy Davis Jr. one with Count Basie that's slightly slower.

penguin

#3 Post by penguin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:27 pm

It's an instrumental version, probably about 130 bpm, heavy on the horns. That's all I've got to go on from memory, aside from remembering it being very common in multiple locations.

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:51 pm

There's always the original from Nat Adderley's "Work Song" album, but it's closer to 150 bpm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmXbiD3Jog

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm

The versions I used to play most often when DJing regularly were:
- "Work Song" by Oscar Brown Jr. - Sin & Soul [140 BPM]
- "Work Song" by Ernie Andrews & Cannonball Adderly - Live Session [156 BPM]
- "Work Song" by Benny Golson - That's Funky [130 BPM]

The first two versions are great but vocal numbers. The Benny Golson recording is instrumental and horn-heavy but not super well-known, so I am not sure if that is the version for which you are search.

Slightly related: I am not sure why I didn't regularly spin Nina Simone's great version of "Work Song" [130 BPM] from Four Women: The Complete Nina Simone On Philips!

Also slightly related: do DJs even still play "Work Song" at dancers, or is this simply a walk down memory lane enjoying the nostalgia of the early-2000's "groove" years?

Jesse

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

JesseMiner wrote: Also slightly related: do DJs even still play "Work Song" at dancers, or is this simply a walk down memory lane enjoying the nostalgia of the early-2000's "groove" years?
I'm not sure I'm much of a representative sample, but I still play Nina's every now and then. It's been a while since I've played the Oscar Brown Jr. one.

The Ernie Andrews & Cannonball Adderley version I don't recall hearing before. (You know Cannonball's brother Nat wrote it, right? And Oscar Brown added the lyrics, I believe.)

Now that I've listened to the Benny Golson one, I've *definitely* heard it before, but it may have very well been back when you DJ'ed regularly in the area. :) Or maybe it wasn't even at a dance. Dunno. Anyway, it had completely slipped my mind.