[Answered] Gotta Be This or That, Ames Brothers

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

rcgldr

[Answered] Gotta Be This or That, Ames Brothers

#1 Post by rcgldr » Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 am

I've heard this a few times, but at this particular venue, the playlist is automated, and the crew that works there during the dance hours doesn't know the music, just how to start / pause / stop the playlist. Song title is Gotta Be This or That, and the vocals are from male group, but with deeper pitch voices than the Sammy Kaye version. There are a couple of DJ's that visit this venue occasionally, but they haven't been there recently.
Last edited by rcgldr on Sun May 25, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lipi

Re: Gotta Be This Or That - male vocal group - not Sammy Kay

#2 Post by lipi » Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 pm

I can't help you with a male vocal group version, but Benny Goodman recorded it in 1945 with a single male vocal, and it's pitched slightly lower than the Sammy Kaye (if the YouTube version of the Sammy Kaye recording I found is to be trusted). Even if it's not the one you're looking for, it's a good one. Slam Stewart takes a great bass solo, Red Norvo takes a vibes one.

You can find it (three takes) on the Classic Columbia and Okeh Benny Goodman Orchestra Sessions (1939-1958) Mosaic set.

Benedikte

#3 Post by Benedikte » Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 am

There is a version by Basie and Delta Rhythm Boys: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... 802&sr=8-1. Maybe that's the one?

rcgldr

#4 Post by rcgldr » Sun May 25, 2014 2:50 am

One of the DJ's showed up and it turns out the song was done by the Ames Brothers. It had some of the other swing DJ's stumped.