*OPEN* Five Guys Named Moe

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CountBasi

*OPEN* Five Guys Named Moe

#1 Post by CountBasi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

I heard a version 2 weeks ago playing in the background in an antique shop. Long story why I didn't ask shop assistant about it.

It was definitely not a Louis Jordan version - those are all way faster than this one.

This one sounded like the Mills Brothers backed by musicians. I've no idea WHO it really was though, that's just about the best description I can give.

The tempo was relaxed, as I say, more than the Louis Jordan versions, but not down at 120-130. It also had a slightly more 2-beat feel than 4-beat. Perhaps somewhere around the 'Jump Session - Slim & Slam' tempo and rhythm.

Definitely not from the past 20-30 years.

The song was definitely Five Guys Named Moe.

Any ideas for the performers?
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

trev

#2 Post by trev » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 am

I did some poking around and couldn't find anything that met your description. Could it have been Louis Jordan playing with a group on something like an AFRS broadcast?

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 am

How about this one?
"Five Guys Named Moe" - The Jumping Jivers - Hey Louis! A Salute to Louis Jordan (alt URL with personnel list at In&Out Records)

CountBasi

#4 Post by CountBasi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:01 am

"Could it have been Louis Jordan playing with a group on something like an AFRS broadcast?"

Possibly but there are so many of those to go through - how to easily and quickly check them?

"How about this one? "Five Guys Named Moe" - The Jumping Jivers... "

Not that one - the tempo is a tad tooo laid back on that but more than that, the feel is all wrong. The one I heard is much more 2 beat-y, Mills Brothers-y/Slim Slam/Three Peppers.

Thanks!
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am

When you say it sounded like the Mills Brothers - do you mean there were multiple voices singing at the same time? Guitars as the most prominent instrumental sound?

To me, this song generally sounds kind of like the Mills Brothers / Slim & Slam / Cats & The Fiddle - I mean, at least compared to Louis Jordan's more wailing-horn-filled stuff.

So I'm not sure what might make it sound "more" Mills-Brothers-ey. Any ideas?

CountBasi

#6 Post by CountBasi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

"do you mean there were multiple voices singing at the same time?"

Yes

"Guitars as the most prominent instrumental sound?"

Yes, though not the only instrument in the entire recording

I listened again (to make sure I was not going mad) to the Jumping Jivers version you suggested. There is way too much brush/drum and the horns are coming in all too invasive and confrontational to my dance ears.

The Five Guys Named Moe I heard was very much more like this style :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAl8Ykc4sI

Hope that helps :) and thanks again for your pursuit.

Haydn

#7 Post by Haydn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 pm

CountBasi wrote: The Five Guys Named Moe I heard was very much more like this style :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAl8Ykc4sI
Late 40s early RnB style then ...

CountBasi

#8 Post by CountBasi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:43 pm

and no wailing!