[Answered] Alva's Baby Blues, Walter T Higgs

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

omsuperhoops

[Answered] Alva's Baby Blues, Walter T Higgs

#1 Post by omsuperhoops » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5BooCG_28

its only the first song...I cant tell who it at all....bluesy'er tune...

thanks guys!
Last edited by omsuperhoops on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haydn

Re: bluesy er westie song...

#2 Post by Haydn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 am

omsuperhoops wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5BooCG_28

its only the first song...I cant tell who it at all....bluesy'er tune...

thanks guys!
Haven't got a clue about that one I'm afraid. Definitely blues or WCS style music, so it might be hard to get an answer here.

omsuperhoops

#3 Post by omsuperhoops » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I know bro, it was a hail mary...is there an equilvalent of swingdjs for westie or blues groups?

you guys are my only source if I cant figure a song out...

J-h:n

#4 Post by J-h:n » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

So many bands like that, and so many, many songs... They may be mentioning the title at 0.38, but I can't really figure it out. Elbows Faded Blues? Surely not.

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Alva's Baby Blues is what he said, by Ray Sharpe. Here's another video featuring Mario Robau:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50FUohEQNow
There's also a video of Myles and Tessa improvising to it. It shows up on lots of westie music top-n lists and forums.

I hadn't heard of Ray Sharpe. I don't can't find the album or compilation the recording can be found on. Wikipedia confirms that he's from Texas which I expected from his sound. It doesn't seem that he has a regular band. He's bounced around with a lot of the bands in the 60's have most of his success as a songwriter although he's played with some big names. His discography doesn't list the song. It's live so perhaps it's a bootleg recording.

omsuperhoops

#6 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 pm

In the last month two songs I have been searching for years have been answered because of this forum, this new one just gives me a new song to hunt for, thanks so much for the info bro! my hunt begins...

omsuperhoops

#7 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:Alva's Baby Blues is what he said, by Ray Sharpe. Here's another video featuring Mario Robau:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50FUohEQNow
There's also a video of Myles and Tessa improvising to it. It shows up on lots of westie music top-n lists and forums.

I hadn't heard of Ray Sharpe. I don't can't find the album or compilation the recording can be found on. Wikipedia confirms that he's from Texas which I expected from his sound. It doesn't seem that he has a regular band. He's bounced around with a lot of the bands in the 60's have most of his success as a songwriter although he's played with some big names. His discography doesn't list the song. It's live so perhaps it's a bootleg recording.
FOUND IT under Walter T Higgs - Alva Baby's Blues!

Thanks bro!

Toon Town Dave

#8 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 am

Ah, Walter T Higgs on harmonica. I like. His harmonica is nice and laid back, great tone and punctuation, a very Sonny Boy Williamson meets James Cotton inspired sound. Seems like he usually plays with a decent but unremarkable band, that's unfortunate.

omsuperhoops

#9 Post by omsuperhoops » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:09 pm

ive slowly been getting into James Cotton mainly due to what I hear from that harmonica, do you have anymore suggestions on where Hig's rocks out?