[Answered] St. Louis Blues, Ella Fitzgerald

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jonas

[Answered] St. Louis Blues, Ella Fitzgerald

#1 Post by Jonas » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 am

It's been a long time since I had a mid tempo song new to me hit me like the one the Lindy Hoppers Dozen used for their ILHC 2011 routine.

Maybe it's because the routine was really nice as well.

It sounds like a radio broadcast version of St. Louis Blues with Ella Fitzgerald singing. I can't really hear what the announcer is saying at the end, maybe something about "the Depot" (the venue of the broadcast?).

Fellow dj's, help me, what is it and where can I buy it?

Dgroove

#2 Post by Dgroove » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

At a very quick search, the song does come up on You Tube, very nice quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzLQKLGrC78

I have not double checked (at work), but perhaps this album has it?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/in-the-groove-r473080

- Dhruv

dogpossum

#3 Post by dogpossum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Finally, I can answer one of these! Oh, this is my FAVOURITE song !

It's Ella Fitzgerald and Her Famous Orchestra, recorded live at the Savoy (I think it's what was Chick Webb's Orchestra). It's not hard to find at all. The song is 'St Louis Blues', recorded in 1939 and you can buy it from this brilliant album Ella Fitzgerald In The Groove

This song NEVER fails to please dancers. I LOVE it. There's a lot of really great stuff on that album - do buy it![/img]

philippecrhk

#4 Post by philippecrhk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:28 pm

This is indeed a fantastic song that I like to play as our dancers respond well to it. It has musical complexity for the advanced dancers as well as a driving rhythm for newer dancers . We can hear that Ella is enjoying herself as she is cheering the band . One of my top 5 favorite radio recordings.

Jonas

#5 Post by Jonas » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Thank you!

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 am

Yeah - great high-energy song and great CD. I think it's an afternoon broadcast from the Savoy. There's also a CD on the HEP label which has Ella's band at the Savoy. It's called Live at the Savoy 1939-40

dogpossum

#7 Post by dogpossum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Haydn wrote:Yeah - great high-energy song and great CD. I think it's an afternoon broadcast from the Savoy. There's also a CD on the HEP label which has Ella's band at the Savoy. It's called Live at the Savoy 1939-40
YEAH!

I'm all SQUEE over this stuff. To me, this is the best sort of lindy hopping music. Amazing big bands, live in crowded dance halls.

Brian Amrine

Re: St. Louis Blues, Radio Broadcast? (ILHC 2011)

#8 Post by Brian Amrine » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:02 pm

The music used by the dance team (Lindy Hopper's Dozen) has been skillfully edited from the original version, probably in the interest of choreography. I wonder if there is any way to get this (edited version) other than by extracting the noisy soundtrack of the video.

lipi

Re: St. Louis Blues, Radio Broadcast? (ILHC 2011)

#9 Post by lipi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Brian Amrine wrote:The music used by the dance team (Lindy Hopper's Dozen) has been skillfully edited from the original version, probably in the interest of choreography. I wonder if there is any way to get this (edited version) other than by extracting the noisy soundtrack of the video.
I'm confused by this post. It seems to me that it's pretty obvious what the three ways are of getting the edited version:
1) ripping the noisy one from video, like you already mentioned
2) tracking down one of the Lindy Hopper's Dozen and asking if they still have it
3) editing it yourself (or having someone do it)

Are you (passively) asking whether anyone here is able to help with 2 or 3?

For 3, I recommend you download Audacity (http://audacityteam.org/), import the track as a wav file (or other supported lossless format), and have at it! You'll learn a bunch of cool things in the process, and it's not as difficult as it seems (it just takes time to fiddle with all the buttons sufficiently to get nice, smooth transitions). Good luck!