[Answered] Blues In Hoss' Flat, Count Basie

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dogpossum

#1 Post by dogpossum » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:59 am

I wasn't sure whether I should start a new thread for this or not, but...

The other night I heard a DJ play a really great version of "Blues in Hoss's Flat". It was definitely Basie playing, was live and a bit more uptempo than the usual version you hear. It had that whole 50s Basie thing going on as well.

Could someone please let me know where I could find it? It was really neat and I'd like to steal that DJs' thunder and overplay it 'til I get lynched.

subst

#2 Post by subst » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 am

dogpossum wrote:The other night I heard a DJ play a really great version of "Blues in Hoss's Flat". It was definitely Basie playing, was live and a bit more uptempo than the usual version you hear. It had that whole 50s Basie thing going on as well.

Could someone please let me know where I could find it? It was really neat and I'd like to steal that DJs' thunder and overplay it 'til I get lynched.
I guess it was "Blues In Frankie's Flat" from Basie's Golden '58

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 am

dogpossum wrote:The other night I heard a DJ play a really great version of "Blues in Hoss's Flat". It was definitely Basie playing, was live and a bit more uptempo than the usual version you hear. It had that whole 50s Basie thing going on as well.
IMHO, the essential live version of "Blues In Hoss' Flat" is by Count Basie from Live In Antibes 1968. This is the version I most often go to when DJing.

Of course if you don't already have Basie's Golden '58, you must have it as well. Another essential New Testament Basie album, though I don't like that version of "Blues In Hoss' Flat" on it quite as much.

Jesse

subst

#4 Post by subst » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:49 am

JesseMiner wrote: IMHO, the essential live version of "Blues In Hoss' Flat" is by Count Basie from Live In Antibes 1968. This is the version I most often go to when DJing.
Very nice version indeed. Sounds a little bit "softer" than "Golden '58" - and I actually like that. :)

Thanks Jesse!

J-h:n

#5 Post by J-h:n » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:00 am

Pretty farfetched, since you said it was definitely Basie, but there are a couple of versions on a couple of George Gee live albums as well, and they do sound very NT-Basie-esque.

None of them is exactly uptempo, though; I think the fastest is on the "Swingin' Away!" album, and it has George shouting rather unmistakably all over it.

Nah... not likely.

dogpossum

#6 Post by dogpossum » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Thanks, doods - that's the action I'm after.

And if you guys say I have to have those albums, well then, there's only one thing I can do...
:D

Toon Town Dave

#7 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 pm

My favorite is "Frankie's Flat" from the 1998 John Anson Ford Amphitheatre concert featuring an 89 year old Lionel Hampton, still swingin'! There's no sample on allmusic but the track is on iTunes.

KattenPejst

#8 Post by KattenPejst » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:37 pm

While we are on the subject of Blues in Hoss and song id, does anyone know which version of the song that is used in the film Errand Boy where Jerry Lewis mimes to the song:

http://swingjazzblues.blogspot.com/2007 ... d-boy.html

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:24 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:My favorite is "Frankie's Flat" from the 1998 John Anson Ford Amphitheatre concert featuring an 89 year old Lionel Hampton, still swingin'! There's no sample on allmusic but the track is on iTunes.
How's the rest of the album? Nice line up of performers.

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:59 am

There's 2 parts to the concert, Hamp played the 2nd half. It's good but like a lot of live stuff, the cuts are a little long for DJ'ing. It's a little pricey, I'd just cherry pick off iTunes.

CountBasi

#11 Post by CountBasi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:51 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Toon Town Dave wrote:My favorite is "Frankie's Flat" from the 1998 John Anson Ford Amphitheatre concert featuring an 89 year old Lionel Hampton, still swingin'! There's no sample on allmusic but the track is on iTunes.
I have a version of this off the album 'Duke Ellington Meet Count Basie : First Time!'

The track title is listed as 'Blues In Hoss Flat (Blues in Frankie's Flat)' - which is why your posting caught my eye. I love this version but it doesn't end cleanly - the musicians just seem to decide to finish independently of each other :lol:

I'll try and find yours on iTunes and compare. I'd love a DJ-able version of mine (with a cleaner ending, either a clean fade out or a proper finish).
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

CafeSavoy

#12 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 pm

CountBasi wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
I have a version of this off the album 'Duke Ellington Meet Count Basie : First Time!'

The track title is listed as 'Blues In Hoss Flat (Blues in Frankie's Flat)' - which is why your posting caught my eye. I love this version but it doesn't end cleanly - the musicians just seem to decide to finish independently of each other :lol:

I'll try and find yours on iTunes and compare. I'd love a DJ-able version of mine (with a cleaner ending, either a clean fade out or a proper finish).
There are decent versions on Basie's "Golden '58", "Fresno California April 24, 1959". and "Live in 1958 and 1959"

Capt Morgan

#13 Post by Capt Morgan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm

CafeSavoy wrote: There are decent versions on Basie's "Golden '58", "Fresno California April 24, 1959". and "Live in 1958 and 1959"
...and who says nothing ever happens in Fresno?

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Capt Morgan wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote: There are decent versions on Basie's "Golden '58", "Fresno California April 24, 1959". and "Live in 1958 and 1959"
...and who says nothing ever happens in Fresno?
It still doesn't. That was the last time.