[Answered] One O'Clock Jump, Benny Goodman

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

One O'Clock Jump

#1 Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:45 pm

Okay, been wondering for a while where this comes from. I downloaded it back in the day, and I've never heard the version again elsewhere. It was attributed in the ID3 tag to Goodman with no other information, but who knows with downloaded music.

Can anyone tell me what album this comes off of? Or at least who did it?

http://www.cps.com/klg/mp3/OneOClockJump.mp3

julius

#2 Post by julius » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:18 pm

that track is a bit puzzling because it's like they're trying to sound like the Basie band, but it just seems a little bit off in some respects. the piano intro doesn't have quite the right Basie staccato touch, but the piano riffing at 1:12 does. the first sax solo is clearly trying to channel Lester, but the sound quality and massive reverb indicates to me that the song was recorded after Lester had died. the clarinet is not virtuosic enough to be Benny in my opinion, plus I don't think Benny would give himself only 12 bars.

you want to know what i'm guessing? woody herman.

awesome track though. hope somebody can ID it.

JesseMiner

Re: One O'Clock Jump

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:36 pm

kitkat wrote:Can anyone tell me what album this comes off of? Or at least who did it?

http://www.cps.com/klg/mp3/OneOClockJump.mp3
This is most definitely done by Benny Goodman and found on An Anthology of Big Band Swing (1939-1955) (Decca).

Jesse

julius

#4 Post by julius » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:52 pm

funny. i own that CD.

so much for my judgment.

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:12 pm

julius wrote:funny. i own that CD.

so much for my judgment.
:lol:
So how do you guys like it? Would it be a one-song buy, especially if I already had decent versions of many of those songs, or are there a lot of great recordings on it?

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:46 pm

Here's Reuben's review of it from Jive Junction:
Giving a taste of 37 big bands from the original Swing era, and a few cuts of some of those bands in the post Swing era, make this two-disc compilation a gem. Opening with Duke’s 1931 recording of “Rockin’ in Rhythm” and ending with Benny Goodman’s polished 1955 recording of “One O’clock Jump,” you can expect everything in-between to be nothing but great as well. A lot of the major bands of the time are touched on, as are a number of the incredible, lesser known ones. Tiny Bradshaw and his version or “The Darktown Strutters’ Ball,” for example, as well as Jay McShann with “Swingmatism” are bands that have unfortunately all but been forgotten. Teddy Powell with “Jamaica Jam” and Lucky Millinder and his cut of “Savoy” are also bands that will blow you away even though you probably have never heard of them before. If you are new to this music, this is a wonderful start to a good dance music collection. Once you get your hands on this album, you can take the names you find and go off searching for complete albums by all these great artists. Happy hunting. -Reuben Brown .
Check out the entire review for his ratings of listenability, danceability and sound quality.

A few songs on there that I dig:

Blues In The Groove - Jan Savitt (193 bpm)
Dunkin' A Doughnut - Andy Kirk (174 bpm)
Fish Market - Roy Eldridge (125 bpm)
Jamaican Jam - Teddy Powell (218 bpm)
Okay For Baby - Benny Carter (196 bpm)
One O'Clock Jump - Benny Goodman (186 bpm)
Savoy - Lucky Millinder (162 bpm)
Swingmatism - Jay McShann (175 bpm)

Definitely a solid album for you to pick up.

Jesse

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:45 am

I really really like that compilation. I'm with Jesse, I would hardly consider it a one-song purchase.

kitkat

#8 Post by kitkat » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:57 am

Yeah, CDUniverse's audio server was a little less busy this morning than last night, so I finally got to listen to clips.

Just made my purchase--$11.99 with shipping & handling. I told myself no CDs for more than $5 per disc, since I don't have a job and won't until winter break at least...but I couldn't help myself once I heard it.

Lindy Bomb

#9 Post by Lindy Bomb » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:21 pm

That Anthology is amazing. It's worth the money, and since it's a double CD set you're not too much over your "no more than $5 a cd" rule. Seriously, every track on this is good. You can't go wrong with it.

kitkat

#10 Post by kitkat » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:39 pm

Squeeee

I stuck the first CD into my stereo...started to listen to some tracks...skipped through...
Stuck the second CD in. Tried to listen to other stuff. Skipped through.

Listened to the whole darned thing of my favorite recording of "One O'Clock Jump," now legitimately mine. :D

But yes, those other tracks I sampled seem pretty good too.

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:34 am

Sorry...gonna have a few over the next week as i get time to go through unmarked CDs from friends...

Song