[Answered] Bugle Call Rag, Glenn Miller

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Re: Who does a song called "Uselessly Fast"?

#16 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am

hepcat72 wrote:I was in a fast Balboa Competition once at Balboa Rendezvous a few years back. For the last song, the DJ played a tune called "Uselessly Fast". Does anyone know who it's by? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Rob
What lead you to believe that that was the title of the song and not someone's categorization / description?

Haydn

#17 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Haydn wrote:
turin wrote: the song Doug used was Bugle Call Rag by Glenn Miller, the version which he used was off the "In the Mood with" Album.
Have you got a link to a sample of this?
Is it the one on this album? Now, that is fast. (NB: When a band like Glenn Miller's played a number like this, would it have been a 'showpiece' number for the band rather than for dancing, in contrast to numbers like 'In The Mood' which were designed for dancing?)

turin

#18 Post by turin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Just Itunes it. It isn't very rare. I don't know of any sites that offer clips except Amazon, and I couldn't find one there...

turin

#19 Post by turin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Haydn wrote:
Haydn wrote:
turin wrote: the song Doug used was Bugle Call Rag by Glenn Miller, the version which he used was off the "In the Mood with" Album.
Have you got a link to a sample of this?
Is it the one on this album? Now, that is fast. (NB: When a band like Glenn Miller's played a number like this, would it have been a 'showpiece' number for the band rather than for dancing, in contrast to numbers like 'In The Mood' which were designed for dancing?)
That's it. It was a bunch of nonsense. The crowd couldn't keep time, and the song was indeed "uselessly fast".

Go doug.

Jonas

#20 Post by Jonas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 am

The fastest song I have is a version of "Ride, Red, Ride" from 1935 by the Mills Blue Rhythm Band off of the "1933-1936" Retrieval album. It clocks in at almost 400 bpm, then they "half time" it at sub-200 bpm every now and then. I don't play it that often...

Eyeball

#21 Post by Eyeball » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 am

Jonas wrote: "Ride, Red, Ride" from 1935 by the Mills Blue Rhythm Band
Hot platter! :D

hepcat72

#22 Post by hepcat72 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:20 am

Eyeball wrote:What lead you to believe that that was the title of the song and not someone's categorization / description?
I probably wasn't paying 100% attention, though I spoke to Doug on the phone on Friday and he said that he introduced it as "Uselessly Fast". He did confirm that he believed it was a tune by Glenn Miller, but off the cuff, he couldn't remember the title. I'll bet turin (Is that you Kevin?) is right.

Rob

Eyeball

#23 Post by Eyeball » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:47 pm

hepcat72 wrote:
I probably wasn't paying 100% attention, though I spoke to Doug on the phone on Friday and he said that he introduced it as "Uselessly Fast". He did confirm that he believed it was a tune by Glenn Miller, but off the cuff, he couldn't remember the title.

Rob
Good one! :lol: