*OPEN* Song ID needed from Herrang 2007

Trying to identify a song? Here's the place!

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

subst

*OPEN* Song ID needed from Herrang 2007

#1 Post by subst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Me again. Same questions. :)

Song #1
One night (Herrang 2007) Mohan played a song with a chorus like "Skit 'em back, skit 'em back, skit 'em back". I even came to Mohan and asked the name of the song - I should have better asked how it is spelled. :)
Can anyone recognize it?

Song #2 (the impossible one)
On tuesday of the 4th week (still about this year's Herrang) there was a fantastic jam in the library that lasted for about 2 hours. Todd was DJing. Most of the songs didn't have any lyrics (typical for fast tempos) but some did.

The song I'm talking about also did have some lyrics - a couple of verses as far as I remember. The only words I remember are something like "sitting by the fire".
Two more things: the song had a very distinctive bass line and a very simple opening (one instrument for 2 eights, as I remember).

Yeah, the next day I tried to ask Todd about that song but he couldn't tell me the name of it - I gave him too little information..

I *really* want to find out the name of the song. :) Can anyone help me? Although I do think that it is impossible. :)

Haydn

Re: song ID [two more songs]

#2 Post by Haydn » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:30 am

subst wrote: Song #1
One night (Herrang 2007) Mohan played a song with a chorus like "Skit 'em back, skit 'em back, skit 'em back". I even came to Mohan and asked the name of the song - I should have better asked how it is spelled. :)
Can anyone recognize it?
It could be 'Skin 'Em Back' by Skeets Tolbert & His Gentlemen of Swing available on this CD

subst

#3 Post by subst » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 am

Haydn wrote: It could be 'Skin 'Em Back' by Skeets Tolbert & His Gentlemen of Swing
And it definitely is. :) Thanks a lot!

subst

#4 Post by subst » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:41 pm

subst wrote: Song #2 (the impossible one)
On tuesday of the 4th week (still about this year's Herrang) there was a fantastic jam in the library that lasted for about 2 hours. Todd was DJing. Most of the songs didn't have any lyrics (typical for fast tempos) but some did.

The song I'm talking about also did have some lyrics - a couple of verses as far as I remember. The only words I remember are something like "sitting by the fire".
Two more things: the song had a very distinctive bass line and a very simple opening (one instrument for 2 eights, as I remember).

Yeah, the next day I tried to ask Todd about that song but he couldn't tell me the name of it - I gave him too little information..

I *really* want to find out the name of the song. :) Can anyone help me? Although I do think that it is impossible. :)
Not even a clue?
Maybe somebody has also seen that jam? Jonas?

I can't even find a general direction to start searching. :)

Jonas

#5 Post by Jonas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:35 am

subst wrote:
subst wrote: Song #2 (the impossible one)

Not even a clue?
Maybe somebody has also seen that jam? Jonas?

I can't even find a general direction to start searching. :)
Nope, sorry. Didn't spend too much time in there while the jam was on. The sound volume was cranked up so high I just couldn't stand it even with my protective ear plugs inserted, no matter how good the dancing was.

A general direction to start searching would be early-to-mid-1930's washboard bands, like the Washboard Rhythm Kings and the Georgia Washboard Stompers. I remember Todd playing one of GW Stompers' versions of "Tiger Rag" sometime late during the jam, right before I was to take over in the booth. I also noticed the washboard sound in many other great songs he spun during his sets in the library.

/Jonas