outkast

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

outkast

#1 Post by Yakov » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:50 pm

"love hater" is the 2nd track on andre 3000's "the love below," and it's actually honest-to-goodness swing, although the drummer plays in a bomb-dropping boppish style and there are two sections that briefly switch to a hard rock waltz. musically, it's certainly problematic (why does andre always insist on singing above his range?), but rhythmically, it would be decent for dancing.

i might play it at the end of a night, just for fun.

i would also like to play "Roses" sometime, it could be fun, i would fade out the way-too-long section at the end "crazy bitch, crazy bitch, crazy bitch"

-yakov

Downeastdancer

#2 Post by Downeastdancer » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:37 pm

question: would you play the "explicit" version or the "clean" version?
"Take A Train!"

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:21 am

well, if i'm playing it in the first place, i'd probably play the explicit version... "i know you like to think your s#!t don't stink" isn't terribly vulgar, in my estimation... i mean it's not sexual or misogynistic, it just uses an old expression to get a point across. but like i said i'd fade out the "crazy bitch" stuff at the end, mainly because it goes on too long

caab

#4 Post by caab » Wed May 19, 2004 7:57 am

I played Hey Ya the other night at a dance and everyone loved it. It took a minute for them to get out of the booty groove and into the swing groove, but it worked and it was loads of fun to see the non-dancers in the bar perk up and pay attention...and do a little dancing themselves...

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Wed May 19, 2004 8:07 am

The lindy folks here in So Fla like "Hey Ya" and the WC folks like "I Like the Way You Move".

Still haven't listened to the whole CD yet.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

ScottieK

#6 Post by ScottieK » Wed May 19, 2004 1:10 pm

"The Way You Move" is one of our Chicago Steppers favorite's to dance to at the end of the night.

I played "Roses" this week and it went over well.

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:15 pm

ok, so this will show how out of date I am, but I have a collection of the 2004 grammy nominees - I really like Outkast's "The Way You Move" which is on there, plus the other stuff I've heard from them I like.

At Frye's last night there were 3 Outkast CD's - one from '94, one from '96, one from '98. If you were only going to buy one CD which is the best - what is their newest one?

thanks!

ScottieK

#8 Post by ScottieK » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:59 pm

The newest one is 2004. It's a double CD named "Speaker Box/The Love Below" I'd opt for that one as it has the songs we've been refering too.

Nate Dogg

#9 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:22 pm

ScottieK wrote:"The Way You Move" is one of our Chicago Steppers favorite's to dance to at the end of the night.

I played "Roses" this week and it went over well.
I was wondering how "Roses" would go over. Being that is so politically incorrect.

Very funny song though.

Yakov, the end is the best part of the song :lol:

wheresmygravy

#10 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:16 am

Nate Dogg wrote:
I was wondering how "Roses" would go over. Being that is so politically incorrect.

Very funny song though.

Yakov, the end is the best part of the song :lol:
I like to play it at late night dances. You will probably hear it from me Friday Night actually...

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:23 pm

ScottieK wrote:The newest one is 2004. It's a double CD named "Speaker Box/The Love Below" I'd opt for that one as it has the songs we've been refering too.
thanks!

Swifty

#12 Post by Swifty » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:49 am

I don't get it, you want to play "Roses" at a swing dance? I couldn't even imagine how to dance to that song in that context, regardless of the lyrics.

Just to clarify, you're talking about this song, right?

wheresmygravy

#13 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:57 am

Swifty wrote:I don't get it, you want to play "Roses" at a swing dance? I couldn't even imagine how to dance to that song in that context, regardless of the lyrics.

Yep, that's the one, But I only play it at late night, blues type dances. I wouldn't play it at a main dance.

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
Swifty wrote:I don't get it, you want to play "Roses" at a swing dance? I couldn't even imagine how to dance to that song in that context, regardless of the lyrics.

Yep, that's the one, But I only play it at late night, blues type dances. I wouldn't play it at a main dance.
The westies are eating that stuff up right now, I heard that song played by a westy DJ. as a matter of fact, Im liking the westy music these days alot more then the Groovers. Groovers play into that caberate sit down Jazz way to much, westys are and have made the Jump to hip hop, although its slower tempos , its a ball to dance to.

The Song, Bombs over Bagdad is perfect for Lindy Hopping. Video tape yourself. Take out the Audio and slip in Jumpin at the woodside...no difference. lolol
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet