janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

12bars

janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

#1 Post by 12bars » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:51 am

she has a variety of stuff that ranges from blues to rock. (im talking here about her blues stuff: "one good man", "summer time", "ball and chain".) are these songs blues, or blues-rock? what is the diffrence? for me, the diffrence is whether the rythym section is in the pocket or not. hers definantly lays back.

Nate Dogg

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:12 am

Like Kevin and Greg were saying about Jazz and Blues. Rock would not exist without blues...

Much of the blues in Austin is of the rock blues variety.

As for her danceability, I think you have to look at specific recordings rather than try to classify genres and hybrid genres. For example, there are plenty of Vaughn Brothers (Jimmie and Stevie Ray in all their incarnations) songs that dancers eat up, others don't go over so well. It just depends. You can make similar arguements for many other bands.

Songs that get good feedback
"Cold Shot" - Stevie Ray Vaughn
"Hillbillies from Outer Space" - Vaughn Brothers
"Pride and Joy" - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Austin DJ/dancer Jeramie Anderson has a blues rock band called Morphis that a lot of dancers like

As for, Janis Joplin got her professional start in Austin. I remember that a DJ played one of her songs at ALX and it did not go over well. I think there are other issues with her, other than the rhythm of a particular song. She has a unique voice and some people (including me) are not that fond of it. I just have never been that much of a fan, even though I live in one of her hotbeds.

There is a lot of blues rock that I like to listen and dance to. I would not say that it all "swings" but it is still fun and as scene we dance to those sorts of band at bars all the time.

Drew

Re: janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

#3 Post by Drew » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 pm

12bars wrote:she has a variety of stuff that ranges from blues to rock. (im talking here about her blues stuff: "one good man", "summer time", "ball and chain".) are these songs blues, or blues-rock? what is the diffrence? for me, the diffrence is whether the rythym section is in the pocket or not. hers definantly lays back.
I've never heard a formal definition of blues rock so this is based on what I hear, having listened to a lot of it:

I think of blues-rock as that which is louder and less improvisational than electric blues. The soloing and overall writing are more simplified from electric blues. I don't think of the artists who created it as being strictly one or the other, because there are far too many exceptions. Blues-rock is not simply electrified blues. Electrified or not, Blues is farther back on the beat and what I would think of as more simplistic in structure, but more improvisational in soloing. I would be enclined to think of Janis Joplin as predominantly blues-rock and folk, although depending on who you ask is referred to as a blues singer. Go figure.

Blues-rock is what I would consider most of Eric Clapton's late 60s-70s recordings with Cream and other assorted groups and solo work as most clearly definable as blues-rock. Stuff like "Layla" as well as most of the rest of The Cream of Clapton. Clapton bemoaned the Yardbirds as straying from their blues roots, but pretty much all he has done since then has been in varying degrees is straying from his blues roots. But I always liked Jimmy Page better, who did his straying in the 80s when I was still carrying a Trapper Keeper.

A lot of rock released between the late 60s-mid 70s could be classified as such. Some early Zeppelin is straight-up blues, other stuff is either a mixture of blues and rock, or what I would consider straight-up rock. Some Hendrix could be blues-rock but again, mostly what I would consider either one or the other.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was predominantly blues sprinkled with some blues-rock, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd is more blues-rock than blues.

The White Stripes are either blues--"Stop Breaking Down" off their first album, "Death Letter" off of De Stijl, "Ball and Biscuit" off of Elephant or rock--"Seven Nation Army" and "Hypnotize" also from Elephant. But I don't think I've ever heard a Stripes tune (and I have heard pretty much their entire catalog and quite a few live recordings) that I would consider blues-rock, and nothing I would really want to dance to.

How this relates to dancing is that I wouldn't use blues-rock for dancing, because it's a little simplistic and loud for my tastes. Off the top of my head, some good blues songs that I'd like within what I think you may be looking for:

"Slide Thing" Stevie Vaughan (yes, no Ray) and Double Trouble In The Beginning
"Jelly 292" Jimi Hendrix Blues
"How Many More Years" Howlin' Wolf 20th Century Masters
"Bo Diddley 1969" Bo Diddley The Chess Box (strong Motown Flavor)
"Tail Dragger" Willie Dixon The Original Wang Dang Doodle
"Crawlin’ Kingsnake Blues" John Lee Hooker Boom Boom and other Favorites
"I-75 Boogie" Soledad Brothers Soledad Brothers
"Are You Gonna Go My Way" Lenny Kravitz The Unplugged Collection, Vol. 1

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:39 am

Drew wrote: Blues-rock is what I would consider most of Eric Clapton's late 60s-70s recordings with Cream and other assorted groups and solo work as most clearly definable as blues-rock. Stuff like "Layla" as well as most of the rest of The Cream of Clapton. Clapton bemoaned the Yardbirds as straying from their blues roots, but pretty much all he has done since then has been in varying degrees is straying from his blues roots. But I always liked Jimmy Page better, who did his straying in the 80s when I was still carrying a Trapper Keeper.
Clapton is getting back to his roots with his latest Robert Johnson Tribute album.

He is also doing a big blow out concert at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, I have my tickets. A virtual who's who's of blues/rock/guitar legends will be on hand.

I have GA field seats, tickets are still available in case anybody is interested in going. Right now, two other Austin DJs are in my group (Mary Grabhorn and Peace Chen).

Crossroads Guitar Festival,
June 4-6, 2004

Eric Clapton has announced a three-day Crossroads Guitar Festival to take place Friday, June 4 through Sunday, June 6 at Fair Park in Dallas. This one-time event, created for music enthusiasts around the globe, will raise money for Crossroads Centre Antigua, the treatment and education center founded in 1997 by Eric Clapton.

This unique event at Fair Park will kick off Friday, June 4 with the opening of the Guitar Center Village, coordinated by Guitar Center, the national retailer of musical instruments.

The festival will be the first of its kind to create a unique bridge between fans and musicians through leading guitar manufacturer exhibits and guitar clinics. Attendees will be offered once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to be in an intimate setting as artists give fans the ultimate look into their craft. The Guitar Center Village activities for Saturday, June 5 include live music performances on three stages. SIRIUS Satellite Radio, as a supporting sponsor will host one of these stages and will broadcast from the Festival.

The Crossroads Guitar Festival culminates on Sunday, June 6 with an All-Star special benefit concert at the Cotton Bowl Stadium. The concert, which will begin at 1:00 p.m. and continue through Sunday evening will include performances by Eric Clapton and Doyle Bramhall II, Larry Carlton, Robert Cray, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, David Hidalgo, Eric Johnson, B.B. King, Sonny Landreth, Brian May, John Mayer, Pat Metheny, Carlos Santana, Neal Schon, Hubert Sumlin, James Taylor, Dan Tyminski, Steve Vai, Jimmie Vaughan, Joe Walsh, ZZ Top, Jerry Douglas, John McLaughlin, Bo Didley, Jeff Beck, and Robert Randolph. The extraordinary “house bands” will be none other than Booker T & The MG’s, Jimmie Vaughan’s band and Eric Clapton’s band. Other artists will be announced as details are confirmed.

Drew

#5 Post by Drew » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:32 am

Nate Dogg wrote:
Drew wrote: Blues-rock is what I would consider most of Eric Clapton's late 60s-70s recordings with Cream and other assorted groups and solo work as most clearly definable as blues-rock. Stuff like "Layla" as well as most of the rest of The Cream of Clapton. Clapton bemoaned the Yardbirds as straying from their blues roots, but pretty much all he has done since then has been in varying degrees is straying from his blues roots. But I always liked Jimmy Page better, who did his straying in the 80s when I was still carrying a Trapper Keeper.
Clapton is getting back to his roots with his latest Robert Johnson Tribute album.

I've heard this album, and like some of it. Clapton's From the Cradle released in the mid-90s is also a very good blues album and the traditional acoustic blues on Unplugged is also quite good. But most of his releases since the Yardbirds, save these albums, has oscillated between pop and blues-rock.

I am talking about albums like Journeyman, Pilgrim, and many of his submissions to 90s movie soundtracks such as "Change the World" for Phenomenon.

If you dig the return to traditional blues, check out the White Stripes' B-sides. You will find gems from Son House, Blind Willie MacTell, and some originals. Overall I think they are edgier and truer to the spirit of the blues than much of Clapton's catalog, even on this most recent album and the other two I mentioned earlier.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:31 am

Drew wrote: Image
I've heard this album, and like some of it. Clapton's From the Cradle released in the mid-90s is also a very good blues album and the traditional acoustic blues on Unplugged is also quite good. But most of his releases since the Yardbirds, save these albums, has oscillated between pop and blues-rock.

I am talking about albums like Journeyman, Pilgrim, and many of his submissions to 90s movie soundtracks such as "Change the World" for Phenomenon.

If you dig the return to traditional blues, check out the White Stripes' B-sides. You will find gems from Son House, Blind Willie MacTell, and some originals. Overall I think they are edgier and truer to the spirit of the blues than much of Clapton's catalog, even on this most recent album and the other two I mentioned earlier.
Yeah, I like the White Stripes, but I don't have the more obscure stuff (B-Sides, etc...). I will have to check out those B-sides.

I like Clapton, a lot of his stuff is light rock, far removed from the blues. That being said, I still like it, understanding that it is what it is.

I have a pretty decent Clapton collection and I am sort of on a Clapton kick in gearing up for the concert. I will probably pick up the new album soon.

As for DJing, I have heard some of his duets with B.B. King go over well at a dance or two. Even though, I have not gotten around to playing Clapton at a dance yet. If I did, I can imagine that the Unplugged album would also be a good one to draw from (as has been referenced in past threads).

julius

#7 Post by julius » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:50 am

Nate Dogg wrote:The concert, which will begin at 1:00 p.m. and continue through Sunday evening will include performances by Eric Clapton and Doyle Bramhall II, Larry Carlton, Robert Cray, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, David Hidalgo, Eric Johnson, B.B. King, Sonny Landreth, Brian May, John Mayer, Pat Metheny, Carlos Santana, Neal Schon, Hubert Sumlin, James Taylor, Dan Tyminski, Steve Vai, Jimmie Vaughan, Joe Walsh, ZZ Top, Jerry Douglas, John McLaughlin, Bo Didley, Jeff Beck, and Robert Randolph. The extraordinary “house bands” will be none other than Booker T & The MG’s, Jimmie Vaughan’s band and Eric Clapton’s band. Other artists will be announced as details are confirmed.
Buh.

Wow.

mousethief

#8 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:07 am

TEXAS!!!

This is Fair Park at it's best, as opposed to Texas/OU weekend, where people use the town as a giant urinal.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Drew

#9 Post by Drew » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:23 am

I forgot to add how kick-ass this concert sounds.

Nate Dogg

#10 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:42 am

mousethief wrote:TEXAS!!!

This is Fair Park at it's best, as opposed to Texas/OU weekend, where people use the town as a giant urinal.

Kalman
Yeah, I still can't figure out why it is in Texas. These big shows usually happen in places like L.A, NY, Chicago, and London.

For some reason, Dallas got it. There ought to be a lot of cool combinations and jams. Clapton is supposed to be sitting in with folks throughout the day. Possible pairings include Clapton and BB King; John Mayer with Buddy Guy (they recently did some recordings together); Neil Schon with Carlos Santana (classic Santana); and more.

Now if they could just get Jimmy Page, they would have all three of the legendary Yardbird guitarists (Jeff Beck and Clapton are the others for those unaware of such things).

Nathan

gatorgal

#11 Post by gatorgal » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:09 pm

I envy you Texas people. You all suck. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

12bars

#12 Post by 12bars » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:27 pm

i envy you...

Zev

#13 Post by Zev » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:24 pm

You know there are two Janis Joplin bio-pics in the works. One with Rene Zellweger, the other will have Pink.

I have a hard time enjoying any of her music but her story is pretty compelling. (I haven't heard or seen it but she supposedy turned in a heroin-drenched performance at Woodstock that would make Johnny Thunders proud)

Zev

#14 Post by Zev » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:30 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:...The extraordinary “house bands” will be none other than Booker T & The MG’s...
You mean the Blues Brothers band.

Zev

#15 Post by Zev » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:49 pm

12bars wrote:she has a variety of stuff that ranges from blues to rock. (im talking here about her blues stuff: "one good man", "summer time", "ball and chain".) are these songs blues, or blues-rock? what is the diffrence? for me, the diffrence is whether the rythym section is in the pocket or not. hers definantly lays back.
In Janis' day there wasn't really much distinction made. If anything, it all supposedly came out of the American folk tradition that permeated the alleged San Fransisco Sound. It was all just 'heavy rock".

Speaking of which, also resulted in some "interesting" LPs by some of the blues greats like Electric Mud.