janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

Re: janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

#16 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 pm

Zev wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:...The extraordinary “house bands” will be none other than Booker T & The MG’s...
You mean the Blues Brothers band.
No, not exactly, Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn were in the the Blues Brothers band. I don't think Booker T. Jones played in the Blues Brothers Band.

Nathan

GemZombie

#17 Post by GemZombie » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:33 pm

Don't think Booker T and the MG's are the blues brother band.

Nate Dogg

#18 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:46 am

GemZombie wrote:Don't think Booker T and the MG's are the blues brother band.
The bassist and the guitarist are in both bands (Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn).

I think the most accurate statement is the two members of Booker T and the MGs are also in the Blues Brothers Band.

Anyway, this is sort of a silly side issue, anybody can do a quick internet search if you really want to know the history of Booker T and the MGs/Donald Duck Dunn, Blues Brothers, etc...

They are going to be a great backing band at the concert. You can't use everybody's bands, the day would be nothing but short sets and set changes, so using house bands is the way to go. However, I imagine a few acts like ZZ Top will play by themselves, without a house band, since they are trio to begin with.

Nate Dogg

#19 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:52 am

One more Booker T comment,

In my scene, the dancers love "Green Onions" I think half the DJs play it from time to time.

Nathan

Zev

Re: janis joplin and blues vs blues/rock

#20 Post by Zev » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:15 am

Nate Dogg wrote: No, not exactly, Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn were in the the Blues Brothers band. I don't think Booker T. Jones played in the Blues Brothers Band.

Nathan
Of course you're right, I was just trying to take the piss.

(You know the Blues Brothers were pretty reviled by purists everywhere when they first came along.)