DJing other scenes

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

#16 Post by Roy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:10 pm

nocturne wrote:
All of my early industrial stuff was ripped off at a DJ gig, so things like Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy are missing from my collection
i would be freaking pissed, that is my favorite kind of 80s. if anyone ever stole my 80s industrial, and i found them....they would die.

so you have not re-added that to you collection?
It happened after I stopped DJing, around 1994. My roommates were throwing a party and invited a whole bunch of people, some people we didn't know. Someone who knew someone showed up and was told he can DJ part of the night. He had a bunch of records. Trusting me, left all my records behind the DJ booth. A few days later i was putting away records that were out of place and I noticed my Sisters of Mercy was missing. I then went through all of my records and most of my indusrtiral was missing, maybe about 20 records total. (He did miss the 12" of Collapasing New People/Fad Gadget, which I sold a few years later for $50.00 to t a house DJ who wanted to sample it into house music). We tried to track down anyone who was with that DJ, but we had no luck figuring out who they were or who knew them. I never DJed alternative 80's again and my musical tastes were changing so I never replaced them.

But I guess I did learn something. I don't trust my cd's in a booth with DJ's I don't know. And I keep a close eye when other thumb through my collection, I'm afraid someone going to take a few and I won't notice until a few days alter.

nocturne

#17 Post by nocturne » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:19 pm

ahhh, i love fad gadget.
i would have killed someone if i ever found my fad gadget missing.

do you still have any FG records left?
Vote Funkstörung. Grammy Winners.

caab

Re: DJing other scenes

#18 Post by caab » Sun May 02, 2004 2:10 pm

nocturne wrote:i'm curious as to how many of you DJ in other scenes, and does this effect how you feel about DJn big band [or groove, or whatever it is you play for people to "swing" dance too]?
do you prefer to DJ other scenes?
I used to host the ska show for the campus radio station when I was in college. Because I had more "DJ experience" than the other kids in the scene here, I became the swing DJ...but more than just picking songs and putting CDs in. Hosting any show requires a good deal of research (which helped knowing where and how to look for things when it was time to look for swing), knowing what's new, what's classic, different styles within the genre and knowing every possible artist...I would have people call the station, just to test me and see if I knew who someone was and if I had it in my collection. I don't find this as much with the swing scene, it's less about the competitiveness and more about the dancing. Of course, after finding this site, I can see some of the competitiveness I used to see when I was hosting the ska show. I guess with swing I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm also one of the few people in town taking the initiative to learn more. I find DJing swing more rewarding because I know exactly who is listening and if they enjoy it--I can see them on the dance floor. I didn't get as much of that at the radio station, sitting in a room by myself with equipment and a phone.