Hustle: the Westie's Bal

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#16 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:25 am

To those who are posting names of proven hustle songs, thanks. This is helpful, I have lots of hustle music, I just don't recognize it as such. I can mark some of the songs and tag them as hustle in case the rainy day comes where I need to fulfill a hustle request.

Nathan

CafeSavoy

#17 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:To those who are posting names of proven hustle songs, thanks. This is helpful, I have lots of hustle music, I just don't recognize it as such. I can mark some of the songs and tag them as hustle in case the rainy day comes where I need to fulfill a hustle request.

Nathan
And if you have any Drizabone (e.g., Real Love) or Anastacia (e,g., I'm Outta Love), or M People (e.g., Moving on Up) you're set. A good crossover song might be something like US3 "Cantaloup (Flip Fantasy)". And if you want to go old school, you could play Lou Rawls "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine".

This side up

Hustle

#18 Post by This side up » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:41 am

Groovy,

I began my obcession with music in the 50s .I was hustle dancer and DJ in the 70S in NYC and Boston and then SF . I still have alot of music I can share it with others who are serious .Hustle was HHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE in the 70s .Lots of good solid music.Dance was crazy crazy popular then....
I was listening to some older hustle last night

In my collection I haveTeddy Prendergast,O Jays,10% ,Double Exposure,Sylvester (the best ),First Choice,Tramps,Madeline Eastman ,The Miracles,Many ,many Dj singles (Lp with just 1 song)

Anyway.....................

This side up

Hustle is to West Coast as Bal is to Lindy ?????

#19 Post by This side up » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 am

Hustle is to west coast as bal is to lindy

Not even close . And to some of the other posters,Hustle is not only 120 bmp I have lots from 80 or 90 to 140 bpm and there were are as many kinds of hustle as swing. east coast, NY,Latin ,west coast ,basic 6. 3 count ,
,and for all those rhymically challenged ballroom

anyway.....

jacques_g

Re: Hustle is to West Coast as Bal is to Lindy ?????

#20 Post by jacques_g » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:08 pm

This side up wrote:Hustle is to west coast as bal is to lindy
Could that be because Bal's basic is 1,2,3 & and Hustle is & 1,2,3 ?

jflanger

#21 Post by jflanger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:39 pm

In the Stanford U. dance scene, hustle is usually measured as anything with 100-120bpm with a constant kick beat...preferably with the standard rock music 1-3 beat. This seems pretty consistent with what I've heard played at the local hustle night whenever Arte Phillips from NY is in town to teach private lessons (the guy's awesome...dances 45 minute sets straight through).

Some favorites from around here:

Murder on the Dance Floor--Sophie Ellis Bextor
Escapar--Enrique Inglesias
Lucky (Techno Remix)--Bif Naked
Billie Jean--Michael Jackson
Moving On Up--M People
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy--Big and Rich (beware the cheesiness factor. We're quirky around here)

By inference, I'd imagine the following tunes would probably be reasonable too, since they're also rooted in a 1-3 bass-snare beat with an ongoing hi-hat:

Hella Good--No Doubt
Flashdance--Irene Cara (if you slow it down a bit and bask in the 80s cheese factor)
Canned Heat--Jamiroquai (aka the Napoleon Dynamite song)
This is Your Night--Amber

I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on this though. I'm sadly not superb at being a human Pandora. :)

Toon Town Dave

#22 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Lucky remixed? Ugh. The original is 3/4 time and great change of pace for a waltz. I don't think I'd want to hear it remixed to be suitbable for hustle.

jflanger

#23 Post by jflanger » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:57 pm

It's used here as a "training wheels" hustle song, precisely because the waltz-time helps beginning dancers get hustle's six-count rhythm ingrained.

dnquark

#24 Post by dnquark » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:33 pm

^^ I just have to point out how absurd this sounds to anyone who hasn't learned dance at Stanford (and it makes so much sense to those who have).

To keep this thread on topic, my all-time favorite hustle is a (mostly) instrumental remix of Madonna's Nothing Really Matters. A good, but *real slow* hustle is Lisa Stansfield's All Around the World (which I first heard from Rayned before hearing it at a hustle dance, actually). Cross-over songs include the already mentioned Cantaloop Flip Fantasia and Tom Jones' Sex Bomb.