Christina Aguilera "Back To Basics"

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Christina Aguilera "Back To Basics"

#1 Post by Yakov » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:52 am

I like the MTV song, "Ain't No Other Man", even though it's pretty repetitive... but i read that one of the two discs of the new album is all-acoustic, so perhaps something there is genuinely danceable. Or maybe something on the electronic half is good for the dancefloor. Verdict? This is the first time I've been interested in an "X"tina release... seems like horny jazz is having a sort of revival in popular hip hop/dance/pop music, with "Bridging The Gap", "Idlewild" and now "Back to Basics..." , and probably others

LindyChef

#2 Post by LindyChef » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:44 am

I have it and the "acoustic" album is very over-produced. There's only one song on there that's anywhere near playable and that is only for blues dancing, "Nasty Naughty Boy."

wspeid

'Candyman' & 'I Got Trouble'

#3 Post by wspeid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:00 pm

If things go according to plan when I DJ our scene next Thursday I'm going to spin Christina's 'Candyman' (172 bpm) with its Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy gone dance mix sound as an experiment. I've also got 'I Got Trouble' (92 bpm) with its artificial staticy pops and cute cheap speaker sounding vocals right on the heels of some Louis Jordan that has an incredibly similar sound.

I really wanted to play Nasty Naughty Boy but our scenes still a bit too southern bible belt to handle anything that risque. So I'm going with Janet Klein's 'How Could Little Red Riding Hood?' instead and tossing in the new Maxwell/Mosher 'Have You Had Enough?' as a thumbing of my nose to call it even.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bill

wspeid

I Got Trouble, Nasty Naughty Boy

#4 Post by wspeid » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:52 am

I tossed in 'I Got Trouble' just before the announcements at tonight' set in case it bombed and the floor stayed packed. In fact, I had 3 people run over to all ask me what it was and couldn't believe it was Christina.

I didn't get around to playing Candyman because all my traditional stuff of the same tempo was really working. However, I closed the night with Nasty, Naughty Boy and got all the wall huggers out onto the floor with the stragglers and had a couple of the quiet girls walk up to me afterwards to shyly whisper, "that was certainly some song" before running off.

So, they worked for me.

Bill

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:19 am

This seems like a new low in the life of a 'swing' dj.
Last edited by Eyeball on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eyeball

Re: Christina Aguilera "Back To Basics"

#6 Post by Eyeball » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:20 am

Yakov wrote:... seems like horny jazz is having a sort of revival in popular hip hop/dance/pop music..........
What is "horny jazz"?

Eyeball

Re: 'Candyman' & 'I Got Trouble'

#7 Post by Eyeball » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:25 am

wspeid wrote:If things go according to plan when I DJ our scene next Thursday I'm going to spin Christina's 'Candyman' (172 bpm) with its Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy gone dance mix sound as an experiment. I've also got 'I Got Trouble' (92 bpm) with its artificial staticy pops and cute cheap speaker sounding vocals right on the heels of some Louis Jordan that has an incredibly similar sound.
Oh, isn't that cute. Fake old timey record popping noises and tinny speaker sounds. Good old Baby Jane.

Did you guys run out of real swing music to play?

We can all chip in and send you some stuff if times are hard.

If not, you should simply be arrested.

Hahahahaha......................gotta love the backwoods.......

Hail, Loggins!

lipi

#8 Post by lipi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:52 pm

o.k., quiet down there. no need to be a complete jerk.

wspeid, what kind of place was this? how large, level of dancers, etc.? i think it's good you tried -- and had success.

Haydn

Re: Christina Aguilera "Back To Basics"

#9 Post by Haydn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:21 pm

Eyeball wrote:What is "horny jazz"?
Presumably jazz with prominent brass sounds.

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:57 pm

lipi wrote:o.k., quiet down there. no need to be a complete jerk.

wspeid, what kind of place was this? how large, level of dancers, etc.? i think it's good you tried -- and had success.
Oh, so its fisticuffs you want, is it? Alright then.....

Why congratulate someone for perverting the names of swing music and swing dance?

wspeid in hs enthusiasm and/or thoughlessness sent more hoey stuff out to people in the name of "Swing".

It's got to stop, I tell you. It's got to stop!

You may not care about quality or reputation or why there are so many people out ehre who thing swing music and swing dancing is for dorks...but some people do....though not you, it would seem....whoever you are.

(is this Gwen?)

julius

#11 Post by julius » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:00 pm

If, as is obvious, the "Other Music" forum doesn't interest you, why read it?

Eyeball

#12 Post by Eyeball » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:03 pm

this subject came up on antoher forum and was a source of interest and amusement to many, including myself. that's why.

wspeid

#13 Post by wspeid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:27 am

Lipi,

It was our local weekly dance. Small room for about 30 dancers. Everything I'd been playing had been very traditional standards and some newer artists like Janet Klein and the Parlor Boys who play in very traditional styles... so I thought it might be interesting to push the envelope with a cutesie thumb in the eye.

The coolest thing was the transition from an actual old recording that had subtle white noise to the syntheticly produced new white noise. It had some people fooled at first and in fact, 3 or 4 people thought it was original period. Even more amusing was playing Maxwll/Mosher's "Have you Had Enough", which is merely new political protest lyrics to an Squirrel Nut Zippers earlier hit. Very amusing here in this military town!

Obviously, some purists don't approve of playing anything after 1940 and would throw Bill Elliot, Lily Wilde, and old time Lou Rawls in the trash along with this cutesie wink back in time... but then again a lot of my sets are about humor or ironic juxtapositions that make some people laugh and smile as they dance. I have a real tought time with people who want to turn a dance into some holy period piece that must remain forever untainted by new sounds. Its supposed to be fun.

Bill

Haydn

#14 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 am

wspeid wrote:Lipi,

It was our local weekly dance ... I thought it might be interesting to push the envelope with a cutesie thumb in the eye. ... I have a real tough time with people who want to turn a dance into some holy period piece that must remain forever untainted by new sounds. Its supposed to be fun.

Bill
It's the other people who have a problem. It's great that you're trying some different music and good to hear you're getting such a positive reaction from the crowd.