Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

outkast swings again

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:38 am

from Rolling Stone Oct 2005:
OutKast
Idlewild
Out December 6th

"It's like an OutKast record on film," says Big Boi of the soundtrack to the rap duo's new musical film, tentatively titled Idlewild. Set in the Depression-era South, the movie, which will be released in theaters on January 6th, follows the story of a struggling musician (played by Andre 3000) and a lovable Lothario (Big Boi). "Since it's in the Thirties, we didn't want to use too many synthesizers and keys," says Big, who adds that the duo mined its vault of unreleased and unfinished tracks for the album. The first single, "Idlewild Blues," is a jazzy romp loaded with drum stomps, muffled trumpets and piano; Dre gives his best Cab Calloway impersonation, and Big flips his hallmark spitfire rhymes. "It's a juke-joint jam," says Big. "I don't know if you can categorize it as a rap song."

( http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7683874 )

Nate Dogg

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:04 am

Yeah, I saw that, I was thinking about posting it, but you beat me to it.

Pretty curious if something danceable shows up on the album.

Nathan

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:22 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Pretty curious if something danceable shows up on the album.
My guess would be that it's all "danceable."
Will it be "danceable" to you?
Well, I suppose that may depend on how many white folk you're surround by at the time.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

SirScratchAlot

#4 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:10 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:Pretty curious if something danceable shows up on the album.
My guess would be that it's all "danceable."
Will it be "danceable" to you?
Well, I suppose that may depend on how many white folk you're surround by at the time.
hehehe
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:57 am

I don't get the joke
Anyway, here are some pictures from the movie that look pretty awesome:

trev

#6 Post by trev » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:37 am

More pics here: http://www.blackfilm.com/20051028/featu ... wild.shtml

Anyone know the dancers?:

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:06 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417225/fullcredits

But no dancer listing. Looks like it is incomplete as to cast credits so far.

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:11 pm

I'm seriously excited about this one... hope it comes out this summer (when I'm living back in the States temporarily)

Yakov
(Israel)

Yakov

#9 Post by Yakov » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:47 pm

if you're trying to track down info on the dancers, you can start with this IMDB discussion thread (probably requires login):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417225/board/nest/33641526
("My girl DanielleP. is a swing dancer in the movie")

official trailer is at http://www.idlewildmovie.net/
the music in the second half of the trailer is "Idlewild Stomp," the theme song. It's pretty uptempo, with a strong two-beat -- would be great for charleston.

-y.

trev

#10 Post by trev » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:14 pm

This movie (Idelwild) is out soon (at least here in Canada, not sure about elsewhere). I had a listen to the soundtrack and it was very interesting. While the tracks are not really "swinging", there is a definate jazz influence: everything from Cab Calloway style call and response to trumpet elements and jazz singing. You could even DJ a few of the tracks at dances if you were brave and your scene is particularly open minded. A hiphop/jazz hybrid for the postmodern age!

Looking forward to the film, I thought the preview looked awesome, particularly the jazz/lindy snippetts.

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:15 am

trev wrote:This movie (Idelwild) is out soon (at least here in Canada, not sure about elsewhere). I had a listen to the soundtrack and it was very interesting. While the tracks are not really "swinging", there is a definate jazz influence: everything from Cab Calloway style call and response to trumpet elements and jazz singing. You could even DJ a few of the tracks at dances if you were brave and your scene is particularly open minded.
Yes. I applaud the effort, but the Outkast song someone played off the soundtrack last week was rather strongly into the "novelty" category for me, as I suspect it would be for many people. Not as bad as Marilyn Monroe swing, but not much better.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

lipi

#12 Post by lipi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Not as bad as Marilyn Monroe swing
though i'm willing to accept that as bad, too, you likely meant marilyn manson.

la musette

#13 Post by la musette » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:26 am

I bought a few songs of iTunes for a dance on Friday and they went over pretty well- I played Idlewild Blue and PJ & Rooster. They both have a heavy beat to them and they made for some nice funky lindy.

I just saw the film last night, and I was kind of disappointed, especially by the dance scenes. There were numerous times that the sound editing was screwed up, so that dancers would do hits just before the drums did. The singer (Angel/Sally) is not a good lip syncher or actress (that bad southern accent- "oh piana playa!" :roll: ). I liked the scenes of dancing in the club okay, but the last couple of numbers that involve the grand piano I just felt like the choreography was boring and the camera angles did not take advantage of the geometry of the set.

Ah, but all the other 6 dancers I went with liked the movie. *shrug*

I still love the songs I bought. :D

trev

#14 Post by trev » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:03 pm

I saw the film last night and I liked it a lot. I guess it's easy for us to poke holes in it, but I enjoyed the fusion of ideas. Just don't go in expecting an authentic period piece.