Hardcore RAP

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

scratchy

Hardcore RAP

#1 Post by scratchy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:00 am

What the hell, this is what the Inner is city is busting out too,
and this is what the "new" dances are being inspired by.

This is where you'll find African American Venacular dance in full force, not the US open.

alot of tunes refer to dancing, especially Crip walking, " get your walk on" being one of them.

Because of the Language , I recomend playing it only in 18 and over events.

But outside the USA it's all good...

scratchy

#2 Post by scratchy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:52 am

Snoop dog comes to mind as being smoooooooth as it gets...

Dr Dre can lay down some serious beats...for dancing feet...

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:18 am

If Crip walking is any representative of the nature of current African American Vernacular dance, that's pretty sad. Of course, I don't know jack about what the new dances are. But I haven't seen very many lately that are as inspiring as lindy hop.

Maybe I'll play some Busta Rhymes this weekend at Cafe Savoy and see what happens. That guy is hilarious.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

scratchy

#4 Post by scratchy » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:15 am

yedancer wrote:If Crip walking is any representative of the nature of current African American Vernacular dance, that's pretty sad.

well, I cannot make anyone enjoy something. But as someone who enjoy's an african american artform I find it Ironic to be negative about something that has evolved in the same manner as the one you enjoy.

yes, as "sad" as it is too you, it is a great representation of whats going on in the inner cities today and has been for years. and done well, Like any dancing.... it's amazing.
yedancer wrote:Of course, I don't know jack about what the new dances are.
So then why bash what you don't know about? It's a basic step that can have different styles. which you can improvise on, allowing for a full usage of Venacular movement. It can be a Very simular vein to Apple Jacking or Be Bop dancing with Charleston, enough that you can easily combine it all.

yedancer wrote: But I haven't seen very many lately that are as inspiring as lindy hop.
well , ofcourse, thats what we do and thats the music we like. But how long did it take for the mainstream to like it? We where the ones saying "Thats Sad" at that time because we couldn;t understand it.

look at us now, enjoying that same Inner city dance that is 70 years out of date as if the energy just stopped then. Man, the Ghetto has never stopped producing talent and art like we wouldn't beleive, it just never really gets exposed, the only reason C-walking got exposure is because Schools started to Ban it, making it illegal to do on Campus(hahah just like the Charleston!!!) so it became attractive to every suburban white kid in the country. Now, because of the ease of what I guess I'd call some of the basic steps and the ability to improvise it is certainly another chapter in the dancing vocabulary which goes along with a certain type and tempo music. Most "Hip Hop" in which Uprocking or B-boying is too fast for it, but alot of the slower "Rap" such as Snoops stuff is what it is done to, so C-walking has it's purpose and fills in that Gap of music.
Where do you live? If you don't mind going out some night here in South Central LA after hours I'll show you another side of Life and street dancing that will make what "our scene" does look embarresing.

shortyjul

#5 Post by shortyjul » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:07 pm

In college (back in the late 80's), I got into loft music of the late 70's-84. It predated house and was far more influenced by vernacular jazz. It kicked ass and the music I loved and listened to tended to cross barriers of race, sexuality, etc. Check out DJs Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan.

Some info from them can be found on http://www.jahsonic.com/DJs.html - kind of a cool site - even if it IS Belgian. :)

I am also a HUGE fan of Afrika Bambaata.

In Houston, I was talking to Kwikstep, who was down there teaching hip hop, and he said that was the music HE and other b-boys were most influenced by. He also was able to validate the whole jazz tie-in. I have no idea how a non-dancing white girl at a rural Ivy League school ever got into that music, but it was cool to sort of see it come full-circle for me 15 years later.

shortyjul

#6 Post by shortyjul » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:24 pm

oh p.s. "enter the wu-tang" kicks butt.

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:43 am

scratchy wrote: well, I cannot make anyone enjoy something. But as someone who enjoy's an african american artform I find it Ironic to be negative about something that has evolved in the same manner as the one you enjoy.
First off, it's not logical to say that I should enjoy something just because it evolved in the same manner as something else I enjoy. Wine and Cognac both come from grapes, but in the end, they're vastly different. Just because I like wine doesn't mean I should automatically like cognac.

I never said I didn't like it, I just said it was sad. That's because the dances I see seem so simplistic. But again, I haven't been any clubs in south Central LA, so I guess I don't really know much about what's happening in the hot spots.
scratchy wrote: It's a basic step that can have different styles. which you can improvise on, allowing for a full usage of Venacular movement. It can be a Very simular vein to Apple Jacking or Be Bop dancing with Charleston, enough that you can easily combine it all....
That makes sense. I guess what I don't understand is what do you combine it into? It seems like it just fits into free-form bouncing to a beat, or choreography. At least, that's what it seems like most people do (in my limited exposure).

Like most popular dances, I'm sure the modern AAV dances are like everything else. There are some truly innovative dancers who make their dance an art. And then, there's everyone else who does it because it's cool, and have such limited creativity that they can only copy the easiest steps.
scratchy wrote: that will make what "our scene" does look embarresing.
Hahaha. You don't have to compare "our scene" to anything to make it look embarassing. I think it frequently does that on its own. Just observe the expressions on the faces of outsiders when they watch people dance. Their jaws drop when the experts bust out, but when the average person is dancing, the outsiders often have this look on their face that says, "what is THAT?"

As for where I live, it's San Diego, so maybe I'll take you up on your offer sometime.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#8 Post by yedancer » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:15 pm

Or maybe the real issue is that I'm secretly jealous because I don't know how to do any of the modern African American Vernacular dances.

Damn my lack of creativity!
-Jeremy

scratchy

#9 Post by scratchy » Fri May 02, 2003 7:33 pm

yedancer wrote:
scratchy wrote: well, I cannot make anyone enjoy something. But as someone who enjoy's an african american artform I find it Ironic to be negative about something that has evolved in the same manner as the one you enjoy.
First off, it's not logical to say that I should enjoy something just because it evolved in the same manner as something else I enjoy. Wine and Cognac both come from grapes, but in the end, they're vastly different. Just because I like wine doesn't mean I should automatically like cognac.

I never said I didn't like it, I just said it was sad. That's because the dances I see seem so simplistic. But again, I haven't been any clubs in south Central LA, so I guess I don't really know much about what's happening in the hot spots.
I just said that cause what you posted to me read degrogatory. I understand you comparison to grapes, But cultures tend to deserve a little more respect then where your favorite drink comes from.

I really enjoy dances that evolved from challenging one another. unlike Ballroom or west coast swing It doesn;t take a "judge" to say who wins, anyone watching can see who does what...

coreyj5

#10 Post by coreyj5 » Fri May 16, 2003 2:52 pm

Wutang does kick butt. So does blackalicious.

yedancer

#11 Post by yedancer » Fri May 16, 2003 3:08 pm

scratchy wrote:I just said that cause what you posted to me read degrogatory. I understand you comparison to grapes, But cultures tend to deserve a little more respect then where your favorite drink comes from.

I really enjoy dances that evolved from challenging one another. unlike Ballroom or west coast swing It doesn;t take a "judge" to say who wins, anyone watching can see who does what...
Didn't mean to be derogatory.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about a dance being challenging. That's why lindy hop appeals to me. It just seems like a lot of the modern dances aren't that challenging, but that may be because I don't know enough about them and haven't seen them in their element.

Interestingly (and this is completely true), I had a dream last night in which I was trying to learn how to C-walk, but no matter how much I practiced I couldn't keep from looking like a dorky white guy.
-Jeremy

SirScratchAlot

#12 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat May 17, 2003 8:04 pm

yedancer wrote:
scratchy wrote:I just said that cause what you posted to me read degrogatory. I understand you comparison to grapes, But cultures tend to deserve a little more respect then where your favorite drink comes from.

yedancer wrote:[
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about a dance being challenging. That's why lindy hop appeals to me. It just seems like a lot of the modern dances aren't that challenging, but that may be because I don't know enough about them and haven't seen them in their element.
Yea, now you know the turn offs to Groove and why it's acually in the same vein as west coast swing and Carolina shag. Lindy Hop is one of those couples dances that can reflect the element of challenge or battle.
yedancer wrote:[
Interestingly (and this is completely true), I had a dream last night in which I was trying to learn how to C-walk, but no matter how much I practiced I couldn't keep from looking like a dorky white guy.
yea, I hear ya...but in 50 years it will be all broken down and workshops will be givin by white dudes all across the world.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

yedancer

#13 Post by yedancer » Sat May 17, 2003 10:45 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:Yea, now you know the turn offs to Groove and why it's acually in the same vein as west coast swing and Carolina shag. Lindy Hop is one of those couples dances that can reflect the element of challenge or battle.
You say that as if I wasn't aware of that already.
-Jeremy

SirScratchAlot

#14 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sun May 18, 2003 5:13 am

yedancer wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:Yea, now you know the turn offs to Groove and why it's acually in the same vein as west coast swing and Carolina shag. Lindy Hop is one of those couples dances that can reflect the element of challenge or battle.
You say that as if I wasn't aware of that already.
naw, I'm just talking to you publically....to draw others in .... :lol:
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

yedancer

#15 Post by yedancer » Mon May 19, 2003 1:11 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:I hear ya...but in 50 years it will be all broken down and workshops will be givin by white dudes all across the world.
Sweet! I guess I have a future as a hip-hop dance instructor after all!
-Jeremy