Commonly Mislabeled Songs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

LindyChef

Commonly Mislabeled Songs

#1 Post by LindyChef » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:12 pm

I was thinking about this topic on Yehoodi. So tell me if you've heard track 7 of CD one of this album. What would you identify it as?

Most DJs that I've seen with this song have it labeled as "Hard Times" by Ray Charles, so when I went looking for the song, I was surprised that every version that I found by Ray Charles wasn't the version that I was looking for.

Yes, it is Ray Charles playing on it, but the track is actually a track by saxophonist David "Fathead" Newman .

Any other commonly mislabled songs out there that you can think of?

Shorty Dave

Re: Commonly Mislabeled Songs

#2 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:37 pm

LindyChef wrote:Yes, it is Ray Charles playing on it, but the track is actually a track by saxophonist David "Fathead" Newman.
Depends on what you mean by the word "by". That specific version first appeared on a cd called "Ray Charles introduces Fathead Newman", or something like that. So I guess it can be considered both a "Ray Charles version" or a "Fathead version", and that's why that specific version can be found on both a Ray Charles compilation as well as a Fathead compilation.

I have yet to find another cd by Ray Charles with Hard Times (not to be confused with another song of his called "Hard Times (No one knows better than I)", which is on many other cds), but I have found a few Fathead Newman cds with different versions of that song. There are also a bunch others out there including one by Aretha and one by Houston Person...

One thing that I find interesting about this song is who it's credited to. Paul Mitchell is the dude who actually wrote it, but sometimes Ray is credited as the writer and sometimes Fathead is credited as the writer. I think they're credited just because they're the ones that made it popular.

I find the same thing to be true with Easy Does It. My understanding is that Sy Oliver wrote it, but sometimes Basie gets the credit.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:46 pm

I don't think this is a mislabeled song at all. Ray Charles has this recording of "Hard Times" on several collections of his Atlantic recordings, including Blues + Jazz.

Of course this is a popular song title, so thus there are probably many different compositions with the same name.

Jesse

LindyChef

#4 Post by LindyChef » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info Dave and Jesse ... that makes things a whole lot clearer.

trev

#5 Post by trev » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:21 pm

Someone made a compilation for me that had "Night Train" by Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. It was actually "Happy Go Lucky Local", but I can understand the mistake.

Matthew

#6 Post by Matthew » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:03 pm

Not quite as bad, but seeing "Dark Rapture" changed to "Dark Rupture" online makes me think about some kind of horrible medical accident. Fun song, too.