For Dancers Only! A Lindy Hop Compilation

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#31 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

mousethief wrote:Dave has a right to be defensive about a comment that was not directed at the music, but instead, at a person who was not directly involved.
Perhaps, but he was being defensive about other things as well... things he has no control over (personal taste.)
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#32 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Yes Dave you're being far to sensative. As you said, you were expecting critisim from people, people who clearly have different tastes in music then you, so why should it bug you they don't like it?
It doesn't bug me one bit, Reuben, and any criticism was not what I was being sensitive about. (Lord knows if one is sensitive about criticism, they should stay the hell away from swingdjs.com!) What I was maybe being sensitive about - as I thought I made clear in the above post but apparently I didn't - was Falty's comment about daddies (Greg's, mine, or anyone else's).

(But while we're at it, thanks for clarifying that you based some of your decision not to buy the cd because of the artists on the cd, which include Jay McShann, Clark Terry, Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, Joe Williams, Buck Clayton, Bobby Hackett, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, Ralph Sutton, and many others. I'll make sure to not include those guys if I ever make a compiliation that I hope you'll buy :) )

Mr Awesomer

#33 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:44 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:Jay McShann, Clark Terry, Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, Joe Williams, Buck Clayton, Bobby Hackett, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, Ralph Sutton, and many others. I'll make sure to not include those guys if I ever make a compiliation that I hope you'll buy :)
Thanks... though you can include McShann in his younger years.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#34 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:00 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote:Jay McShann, Clark Terry, Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, Joe Williams, Buck Clayton, Bobby Hackett, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, Ralph Sutton, and many others. I'll make sure to not include those guys if I ever make a compiliation that I hope you'll buy :)
Thanks... though you can include McShann in his younger years.
But no young buck clayton (so exclude early basie) and no early vic dickenson (so exclude "Blanche Calloway (1933-1936), Claude Hopkins (1936-1939), Benny Carter (1939), Count Basie (1940), Carter again (1941), and Frankie Newton (1941-1943)") . no problem.

mousethief

#35 Post by mousethief » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:08 pm

Saucer of milk in Swinging Music, please.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Mr Awesomer

#36 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:10 pm

You don't highlight one musician among a 15+ piece orchestra as you would when they head up a small group in their later years. You would list it as Claude Hopkins and His Orchestra... not Vic Dickenson w/Claude Hopkins and His Orchestra. Nice try though.

PS. I have some young Buck heading up his own group. Don't care for it.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#37 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:23 pm

GuruReuben wrote: PS. I have some young Buck heading up his own group. Don't care for it.
Do you have Classics 1945-47?

Yakov

#38 Post by Yakov » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:25 pm

PS. I have some young Buck heading up his own group. Don't care for it.
really? i thought it was pretty crunk

but seriously folks... who was the nominal leader of the KC 5 and KC 7 sessions? those are unquestionably brilliant, and he's on thar

Mr Awesomer

#39 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:30 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
GuruReuben wrote: PS. I have some young Buck heading up his own group. Don't care for it.
No, I've got another disc though that's Buck Clayton's Big Four and Eight... all from 46 I think.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#40 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:32 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
No, I've got another disc though that's Buck Clayton's Big Four and Eight... all from 46 I think.
Yeah, i have a couple of those and i mostly agree with you about them. Just curious about the Classics because it had different songs and some interesting side men.

Greg Avakian

#41 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:00 pm

mousethief wrote:Dave & Co.

Here's a better question:

What DIDN'T make it onto the list that ya'll uncovered that stands out in your mind(s)? What got edited out that you would spin?

Kalman
I looked for my original notes, but I didn't keep them. There were a lot of songs to go through! Part of the fun was sitting at David's aparttment just listening to album after album.
I think David, Manu, Jesse, Rayned and Steve boiled it down to about 65 songs. From there, we all e-mailed in with comments and I do remember that there were some songs I liked better than some others that made it onto the CD. I'm sure that other people felt the same and that just shows what an amazing collaboration of different tastes and ideas went into this.

----------------
Having listened to the whole CD this weekend, I have to say I am really happy with it. I can't personally say I'm 'proud' of it or take much credit, because I did very little work, but as a regular old DJ, I am very glad I have this CD to use and I'm very grateful to the people who did do all the real work.

I think one of the things that makes this CD so great is the "happy" vibe of the music. I know that I look for this kind of stuff for public events like "Lindy in the park" because it is engaging for the general public, fun to listen or dance to, and it won't kill you on concrete. :D Even though the vibe is not that of a "late night" CD, there are a couple of slow songs that still have an upbeat energy and are definitely not westie-esque.

What's also nice is that, unlike most "swing" compilations, many of the songs would never have been heard by Lindy Hoppers just because of the obscurity of the Chiaroscuro label. That, and of course Manu's incredible editing skills: A few of the songs were really long and you would never know it from just listening to the CD.

-----
PS:
I didn't mean to imply that David did all the work in my previous post. He definitely wanted to do this for a while and he had a lot to do with getting the ball rolling, but so many people from Yehoodi and Jellyroll worked on this project. It is truely just an amazing collaboration.

And also, maybe this doesn't even need to be said, but just to be upfront and clear: David and Hank had no idea that they each had a mutual friend in George (my dad). My dad did absolutely no work on this CD at all.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Yakov

#42 Post by Yakov » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:13 pm

oh wow -- this wasn't mentioned up front -- that these are special shortened mixes of the songs! that makes this disc unique!

Ron

#43 Post by Ron » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:47 am

I just ordered it, and I'm looking forward to listening to it. I can't wait to get a CD of songs compiled by Lindy DJs, songs I mostly don't have, songs that have been edited for danceability. (Even though I don't DJ much anymore.)

mousethief

#44 Post by mousethief » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:57 am

Give it about 6 months Ron.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

GemZombie

#45 Post by GemZombie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:04 pm

I'm still waiting to here clips. Though I've heard of most of the artists, I can't say I've heard all of those songs, or at least I don't know if I have.

After I listen to the clips, I may buy the disc. I think the idea is great... sorry if my BPM preference seems like i'm being close minded... i just know that i like to dance faster, so why not throw some good fast tunes (if you can) into the mix?