The Big Band Arrangers

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

#16 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:39 am

Thanks Yakov for the info.

I want to warn all the dance DJs that based on the discography, I would venture most will be dissapointed in this set.

The arrangers presented are an excellent example of arranging for jazz bands. More than 50% of the tracks will not be dance numbers.

Just a heads up on this.

GemZombie

#17 Post by GemZombie » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:Thanks Yakov for the info.

I want to warn all the dance DJs that based on the discography, I would venture most will be dissapointed in this set.

The arrangers presented are an excellent example of arranging for jazz bands. More than 50% of the tracks will not be dance numbers.

Just a heads up on this.
Are you kidding? I looked over that list and well over 50% of that is danceable. (Even so, at 50% that means almost 50 tunes are dancable, and for $21-24 that's a bargain). The last disc (which is usually the case in almost any proper box) is the least danceable of the set as it obviously features music that moved away from Swing, Swing pop, and Early Jazz.

My only complaint is that I already own a good 70% of the songs on that set that are dancable.

This looks like a great box set. Have I mentioned how much i love Proper Box sets. I own about 20 of them now.

CafeSavoy

#18 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:13 pm

GemZombie wrote:
Are you kidding? I looked over that list and well over 50% of that is danceable.

[snip]

My only complaint is that I already own a good 70% of the songs on that set that are dancable.

This looks like a great box set. Have I mentioned how much i love Proper Box sets. I own about 20 of them now.
Are you sure over 50%? There's a lot of Stan Kenton in that list. ;-) But i agree that there is a bunch of duplication. And quite a few sweet songs too.

Yakov

#19 Post by Yakov » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:35 pm

for anyone who's posting on this thread, it'll probably be worth it for the booklet/presentation alone.

GemZombie

#20 Post by GemZombie » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:45 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
GemZombie wrote:
Are you kidding? I looked over that list and well over 50% of that is danceable.

[snip]

Are you sure over 50%? There's a lot of Stan Kenton in that list. ;-) But i agree that there is a bunch of duplication. And quite a few sweet songs too.
Heh, the first two discs are well over 50% as I recall.