CD Label - The International Music Company

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

CD Label - The International Music Company

#1 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:03 am

Does anybody know where I can get these companies CDs?

At the station, we have a 20 sets of artists that is fantastic. Each set has 2 CDs in the profile. Everyone from Ellington, Barnet, Lucneford, Krupa etc.

The web site listed on the CDs is:

www.timcompany.com

But that web site no longer works.

The CD numebring has the following:

Charlie Barnet 201916-302

The numbering for the entire set begins

'2019XX-302' where XX is replaced with 01 thru 20

Anyone familiar with these? I'm anxious to get pricing and buy a portion or the entire series for my collection.

Nate Dogg

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:21 pm

They have been discussed several times on this forum, the CDs are more commonly known as "Past Perfect." However, they are a different label than the "Past Perfect" you can find on the web.

The local Half Price Book and regular used stores in Austin have tons of them for $5.98 or less a piece. There are also come cool box sets that are real good values.

Yakov has some sort of contact that told him the are "going away", I am sure he can elaborate more when he notices this new thread.

If there is enough demand, I can go take an inventory and report back about what we have in Austin. I can perhaps buy some of the titles for those interested.

There is also a web store mentioned in one of the threads.

In any case, past threads include...

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... st+perfect

Jerry_Jelinek

#3 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:27 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:They have been discussed several times on this forum, the CDs are more commonly known as "Past Perfect." ....
Are you certain about this? I ask because I emailed our station manager, who bought the set we have at the radio station. He directed me to the ebay person whom he bought the set from. I have a bid on the set right now on ebay. The box set comes in a box looking like this:

I have a few of the past perfect, and I'm certain the past perfect sets are different than this.

But it looks like the 40 CD set is available via ebay for around $50-$60.

From the quality of the 20 or so tracks I've played on the air, this is a tremendous deal.

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:44 pm

Check this thread...

Who can be certain of anything when it comes to Past Perfect/International Music Group/www.timcompany.com

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... highlight=

Jerry_Jelinek

#5 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:48 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Check this thread...

Who can be certain of anything when it comes to Past Perfect/International Music Group/www.timcompany.com

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... highlight=
Interesting. I'll run some comparisons on this 40 CD set versus the individual CDs.

The individual past perfects I have are hit and miss on the quality and the performances.

From my scant random playing of tracks from theis 40 CD set mentioned above, the quality of the 40 CD set seemed much more consistent. That is for the tracks from Charlie Barnet, Jimmie Lunceford, Bunny Berigan and Fletcher Henderson that I have listened to.

I'll post more once I get the set.

kitkat

#6 Post by kitkat » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:16 pm

There's a recognizeable font type on the back jacket and often the inside cover. You'll see things like "Jazz Portraits" and some other names, too with the number inside a little square and the same font. They usually just rearrange the track order from the BBBS, too, when they're selling a single artist. :-) That's what happened w/ my Krupa. But I got lucky on a Hamp CD--it's different from my BBBS CD.

jmatthew

#7 Post by jmatthew » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:42 pm

Amazon has the set for under 50 used and just over 50 new too. I'm in the process of ordering one now, thanks for reminding me that I wanted to get these Jerry. ;)
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

Jerry_Jelinek

#8 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:51 pm

I did look last night at one of my past perfect releases - Coleman Hawkins. The company and web site are the same as this 40 CD set.

Very interesting. Obviously they released things under different names. As Katie mentioned, they also re-arrange tracks to fill out a single CD versus the double CD sets in the 40 CD set mentioned above.

There are more of the individual releases than then doubles. I have a few that I know are not in the big 40 CD set. Releases by Benny Bailey, Kenny Baker, Mary Lou Williams etc.

FYI

Jitters

#9 Post by Jitters » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:06 pm

I bought this set off of Amazon new for $52 and it is fantastic. It just arrived Monday.

Yakov

#10 Post by Yakov » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:12 pm

we've been on this topic... maybe there should be some sort of authoritative sticky...

the "going away" refers to the fact that these are all REMAINDERED and have been dumped on the American market. The single discs include material past the magical 1951/2 break-off point for American works that are PD in Europe -- there's even a set by Wynton Marsalis, as well as plenty of Verve Records material -- which seems to imply that they are fully liscenced recordings but were never intended for American distribution. They are NOT a renewable resource and will certainly disappear soon.

My source on this is Copacetic Comics, which seems to be the only retailer of these discs that will divulge this type of information, as well as the only one selling them online.

http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcom ... mania.html

Note all the "sold out" indications. I think by now more of them have been sold out. They are NOT coming back.

Who knows, maybe there's a stash in the back of a HPB somewhere and they will show up again in ten years. But I wouldn't expect this to be the case.

The various 40 disc sets on the market have been thoroughly discussed here before; do a search. I think the thread is called "good deals." (Sigh... it's not likely that I ever will finish that renovated index page... maybe over winter break...) I don't know anything about these.

I've seen their ten disc sets, and bought a few, but a ten disc set with no discernable organization isn't very useful -- it's just too much randomness. I don't have these CDs in my main collection anymore.

You can be assured that the material on these budget sets is all top notch, real deal stuff, with excellent remastering, session info complete with artists, dates and bizarre typos, and (at least on the single discs) nice packaging and cardboard exterior sleeves that you can cut out and post on your wall. I have a nice little hall of fame wrapping around one of my walls.

One odd thing about the balance on these remasterings is the soloist is VERY LOUD, so for example on the Benny Carter / Oscar Peterson disc, you have to turn the volume way up before you can hear O.P. and the rhythm section, and BC is meanwhile blowing out your neighbor's eardrums. An annoyance that can be ignored at these prices.

I own about 12 or 15 of these discs... the other day I bought the Erskine Hawkins and Fletcher Henderson... excellent stuff...

-yakov.

Jerry_Jelinek

#11 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:41 pm

Yakov, thanks for the update.

I was able to find on music match web site the track listing for the 40 CD set.

For those interested, here is a text file of the tracks and credits at the bottom to some of the artists in the set. Note no track dates or personel are listed in this text file:

http://jelineks.com/Jerry/Misc/Big_Band_Box_Set.txt

Jerry

Yakov

#12 Post by Yakov » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:41 pm

the 40 disc sets are on Amazon with full listings (Big Band Box Set, From Swing To Bop, Edward Kennedy Ellington) and low prices