Musicians' tomb created in New Orleans

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Musicians' tomb created in New Orleans

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:38 pm

I think this, in addition to being cool, is a great way to promote classic swing.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/24/musici ... index.html
AP, via CNN.com wrote:NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Lloyd Washington was a member of the legendary Ink Spots from 1945 into the late 1960s, but when he died in June his family couldn't afford to bury him. For months, his ashes were kept in a box at the Ernie K-Doe Mother-in-Law Lounge.

Thanks to another family of musicians, Washington now has a clearly marked tomb -- and so will other musicians, rich or poor.

Descendants of jazz pioneer Isidore Barbarin, who died in 1960, granted the Friends of New Orleans Cemeteries, a preservation group, the right to use six of the 18 vaults in the family mausoleum. Each vault can hold multiple urns or boxes of ashes.

The new resting place is called the New Orleans Musicians Tomb.

After a brief ceremony Saturday, two porcelain angels and a silver and black urn housing Washington's remains were placed in the tomb, which also holds the remains of drummer Lucien Barker and trumpeter Charles Barker -- both descendants of Barbarin.

"This is the beginning of something big," said Paul Barbarin, 73, who with his sister, Marie Barbarin Baptiste, granted use of the tomb.

"People are going to start doing what we're doing. Believe me, they're going to start doing it because there are so many (musical) greats coming out of New Orleans and they need a place to rest," Barbarin said.

Soupbone

#2 Post by Soupbone » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:23 pm

Anyone know why there isn't a true Jazz Hall of Fame in N.O..... or elsewhere for that matter?
Gary

BigCash

#3 Post by BigCash » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:59 am

Soupbone wrote:Anyone know why there isn't a true Jazz Hall of Fame in N.O..... or elsewhere for that matter?
There are plenty of jazz museums and preservation organizations, but no 'hall of fame'.

Not sure why, however when I think of the Rock n Roll hall of fame, I invision a large scale Planet Hollywood kinda thing, so I'm in no realy hurry for a Jazz Hall of Fame.
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:05 pm

Maybe our friends at Clear Channel will build it for you - after they take over Jazz Fest.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."