Immediate Encores

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mike

Immediate Encores

#1 Post by Mike » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:13 pm

What do you think of immediate encores, when a band immediately starts playing again right after they are done? Do you cut them off while DJ'ing or do you let them play? I find that generally speaking, people get confused as to why there is still music playing when the song has already finished. However, I also find that the band on the recording almost always reserves their best for this encore... So in my eyes (ears), the encore is the real ending that I want to hear. But when these encores are played, most dancers will either (a) wander around confused, (b) say "what, there's more music?", or (c) upon completion of the encore, say, "wow, that was a really short song." :)

I have a feeling that in a live performance there wouldn't be so much of a problem, because I think dancers are more attentive to what the musicians are trying to do when they are actually there in person. On recordings though, I think for dancers there are general expectations about how a song is supposed to begin and end, and if that formula is broken, people get confused.

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:32 pm

Good question. I wouldn't call that an "encore," but, on second thought, I understand what you mean. More of a false ending.

I suspect that it would depend on the song, the vibe in the room, who is present (i.e., how they would respond), and the like. There's no hard-fast rule. For instance, if the encore comes at 6:24, then the song is probably already too long, and I would generally either end it before the encore or begin it (fade in or find a key "kick it" spot at the beginning of a paragraph) in the middle of the song. But then there's a live version of "Blues for Stephanie" by Basie where the song hits a false ending after 6 minutes, then continues after about ten seconds of roaring applause that is so loud you don't hear when the song restarts. But, as you said, the remainder of the song really digs into the rhythm.

Usually, I just let the "confusion" run rampid. No big harm. I have also shouted out a sort of nonsense, audible cue (like George Gee does in his recording of "Splanky" at a big break near the end of the song to rise from the break into the next paragraph), even though it sounds a little silly in hindsight. (My voice carries, so they usually can hear me.) Or just grab the mike and, with the right timing, say something quick like, "ohhhh, it's not over yet..." Sounds dorky, but being silly or dorky is often a trick of the trade.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mark0tz

#3 Post by mark0tz » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:25 pm

A good example is "Sassy's Blues" on Sassy Swings the Tivoli. Actually just about every song on there the Kirk Stuart trio starts hammering away after the main song has ended, and usually at a much faster tempo. Without fail for any of these false encores I'll quickly fade them out or cut them off completely. Gets in the way imho... the song's over, time to move on.
Mike Marcotte