New Release/Re-issue thread

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#46 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon May 23, 2005 11:04 pm

main_stem wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:I am not endorsing this album. I thought it would be fun to post it though.

Billboard, 5/5/05

Veteran singer/songwriter Paul Anka tackles the music of a younger generation on his new album, "Rock Swings." Due June 7 via Verve, the 14-track set features Anka's orchestra-backed interpretations of everything from Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" and Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger."

Released earlier this year internationally (even reaching No. 1 on the German album chart), the set also includes covers of Oasis' "Wonderwall," Van Halen's "Jump," the Pet Shop Boys' "It's a Sin," the Cure's "Lovecats," Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face," Lionel Ritchie's "Hello," Spandau Ballet's "True" and Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven."

Anka will be on tour in North America throughout the rest of the year, with a new round of dates set to begin May 29 at Harrah's in St. Louis.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
This has to be as good as Basie's Beattle Bag and Basie Does Bond. :evil:

The album is getting buzz on several MP3 Blogs.

Tonight, they were playing "Black Hole Sun" at Barnes and Noble. It is a Verve release, so it will be on iTunes and other MP3 sites. So, this is probably not going to end up being a terribly obscure CD when all is said and done. The album will get a U.S. release on June 7th.

I have downloaded five tracks from Rock Swings from blogs.
Blackhole Sun
Jump
Hello
Love Cats
Wonderwall

Unlike Richard Cheese, New Morty Show, Recliners, Pat Boone; some of the tracks are very danceable, in a groovy, Bobby Darin/Rat Pack way.

Of the five tracks that I have heard, "Hello", "Jump", and "Blackhole Sun" are all danceable (However, you have to edit out the first 93 seconds or so of "Black Hole Sun"). Also, "Hello" kinda lacks energy. "Love Cats" is latin. "Wonderwall" is too loungy, lacks a steady tempo.

"Jump" works the best of those songs I have heard. I predict that it is going to get picked by some swing DJs, to the dismay of some DJs/dancers on this board. Blackhole Sun will also get some play, since it appears to be the single.

I am going to play "Jump" at the Fed on Thursday, test it out.

Nathan

Bob the Builder

#47 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:28 am

link

Artie Shaw
The Artie Shaw Story
Label: Properbox
Cat No: PROPERBOX85
Format: 4 CD Set
Genre: Jazz
Barcode: 805520020855
Release Date: 11/07/05
This is a Proper Partner Scheme release
Artie Shaw led some of the classic big bands of the Swing Era and maintained a consistently innovative approach to making music throughout his career. A virtuoso clarinettist whose technique surpassed that of the "King of Swing", Benny Goodman, Shaw was self taught in the arts of playing and also arranging. His first big band contained a string quartet, but this line up did not find commercial success so it was jettisoned in favour of a more conventional setup. Hits such as "Frenesi" and "Begin The Beguine" followed along with sides cut by Shaw's band-within-a-band, the Gramercy 5.

At the height of the success, Shaw split the band, but was to return with new lineups in subsequent years which included a stellar array of soloists including Roy Eldridge, Hot Lips Page, Zoot Sims and many others. This 4 CD set presents the best across all of Shaw's varied output and contains a booklet telling his colourful story - the story of a musician who never seemed quite satisfied with the uses his vast talent was put to.

Pocail

#48 Post by Pocail » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:01 am

Hi, We just received the re-edission of :

Artistes : Thad Jones & Mel Lewis
Titre : Live at the village vanguard
Etiquette : EMI (BLUE NOTE)

Check also The new Charlie Parker:
Rétrospective 40-53 (3 CD) for 30$ Can.
Etiquette: Sagajazz

I'm the manager in Jazz-Blues and world music in a record store (Archambault) in Montreal. I'll try to give you other re-edission comming in in July & August.

Daniel

Pocail

#49 Post by Pocail » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:20 am

There's re-edition of 'Three suites' from Ellington that's out since May 2005.

Here are some more details on the album:

Review

One of Duke Ellington's most delightful adaptations of another composer's material is his reworking of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite" into jazz; this version is a classic and well worth treasuring. Ellington's reworking of Grieg's "Peer Gynt Suites" (including "In the Hall of the Mountain King") and his tribute to John Steinbeck ("Suite Thursday") are also among his better extended works, really utilizing the unique tones of his distinctive sidemen. Highly recommended.

djstarr

#50 Post by djstarr » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:52 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:Image

link

Artie Shaw
The Artie Shaw Story
Artie Shaw led some of the classic big bands of the Swing Era and maintained a consistently innovative approach to making music throughout his career. A virtuoso clarinettist whose technique surpassed that of the "King of Swing", Benny Goodman, Shaw was self taught in the arts of playing and also arranging. His first big band contained a string quartet, but this line up did not find commercial success so it was jettisoned in favour of a more conventional setup. Hits such as "Frenesi" and "Begin The Beguine" followed along with sides cut by Shaw's band-within-a-band, the Gramercy 5.

At the height of the success, Shaw split the band, but was to return with new lineups in subsequent years which included a stellar array of soloists including Roy Eldridge, Hot Lips Page, Zoot Sims and many others. This 4 CD set presents the best across all of Shaw's varied output and contains a booklet telling his colourful story - the story of a musician who never seemed quite satisfied with the uses his vast talent was put to.
Ok, so this doesn't come out until November, but I'm wondering if I should buy it. I feel I'm short in Artie Shaw, I own "The Very Best of", "Gramercy 5", and "1939 Radio Transcriptions". Anyone care to make a recommendation based on pre release info?

Nate Dogg

#51 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:09 pm

Diana Krall will release "Christmas Songs, Featuring the Clayton/Hamilton Jazz Orchestra" on November 1st .

Bob the Builder

#52 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:46 am

djstarr wrote:
Bob the Builder wrote:Image

link

Artie Shaw
The Artie Shaw Story

Ok, so this doesn't come out until November, but I'm wondering if I should buy it. I feel I'm short in Artie Shaw, I own "The Very Best of", "Gramercy 5", and "1939 Radio Transcriptions". Anyone care to make a recommendation based on pre release info?
DJstar. This album is now out. Remember only the US put the Month/Day/Year. The rest of use go Day/Month/Year.

Here you go link

B

JesseMiner

#53 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 am

During the required SFLX Amoeba trip, I picked up Putamayo's recent release Swing Around The World. There are some pretty cool tracks on it.

Jesse

lipi

#54 Post by lipi » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:14 pm

ahhhhhhh! thank you for posting that, jesse.

a friend had told me about the album, and i couldn't for the life of me remember the label name. better now.

Pocail

#55 Post by Pocail » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:36 pm

I played the Cool Crooners song and Moanin' from Peterson on the Putumayo Album...They love to dance to those.

Check these re-editions:

Boy Meets Girl: Sammy Davis, Jr. & Carmen McRae on Decca
This Is Ernie Andrews
Elle Fitsgerald: Hello Dolly (With her version of Can't buy me love)

There's also a tribute to Rockabilly by B. Setzer (Rockabilly Riot Vol.1)
Coming out Tomorrow
Swing one swing all, come swing in Montreal!

Matthew

#56 Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:08 pm

Bette Midler just released Bette Midler Sings the Peggy Lee Songbook. I listened to some of the previews. To me, they sounded like rehashed versions of songs that are already overplayed. You may think differently, though, so it's worth checking out.

Matthew

#57 Post by Matthew » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:20 pm

JesseMiner wrote:During the required SFLX Amoeba trip, I picked up Putamayo's recent release Swing Around The World. There are some pretty cool tracks on it.

Jesse
I just received this for Christmas, and I'm enjoying "Gypsy Fire" by a French group, Romane. There are also two tracks by Italian groups - funky tracks with decidedly Italian sounds. Fun stuff.

Campus Five

#58 Post by Campus Five » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:45 pm

Romane is the name of the guitar player, not the group.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Matthew

#59 Post by Matthew » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:13 pm

Hmmm...that's true. I hadn't noticed it, because most of the others are groups, and I was going by the back cover. Fun track.

Nate Dogg

#60 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:45 pm

Nina Simone Sings the Blues [Expanded Edition]

All Music Guide review
Review by Thom Jurek

Nina Simone Sings the Blues, issued in 1967, was her RCA label debut, and was a brave departure from the material she had been recording for Phillips. Indeed, her final album for that label, High Priestess of Soul, featured the singer, pianist, and songwriter fronting a virtual orchestra. Here, Simone is backed by a pair of guitarists (Eric Gale and Rudy Stevenson), a bassist (Bob Bushnell), drummer (Bernard "Pretty" Purdie), an organist (Ernie Hayes), and a harmonica player who doubled on saxophone (Buddy Lucas). Simone handled the piano chores. The song selection is key here. Because for all intents and purposes, this is perhaps the rawest record Simone ever cut. It opens with the sultry, nocturnal, slow-burning original "Do I Move You," that doesn't beg the question but demands an answer: "Do I move you/Are you willin'/Do I groove you/Is it thrillin'/Do I soothe you/Tell the truth now/Do I move you/Are you loose now/The answer better be yeah...It pleases me..." As the guitarists slip and slide around her husky vocal, a harmonica wails in the space between, and Simone's piano is the authority, hard and purposely slow. The other tune in that vein, "In the Dark," is equally tense and unnerving; the band sounds as if they are literally sitting around as she plays and sings. There are a number of Simone signature tunes on this set including "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl," "Backlash Blues," and her singular, hallmark, definitive reading of "My Man's Gone Now," from Porgy and Bess. Other notable tracks are the raucous, sexual roadhouse blues of "Buck," written by Simone's then-husband Andy Stroud, and the wooly gospel blues of "Real Real," with the Hammond B3 soaring around her vocal. The cover of Buddy Johnson's "Since I Fell for You," literally drips with ache and want. Simone also reprised her earlier performance of "House of the Rising Sun" (released on a 1962 Colpix live platter called At the Village Gate). It has more authority in this setting as a barrelhouse blues; it's fast, loud, proud, and wailing with harmonica and B3 leading the charge. The original set closes with the slow yet sassy "Blues for Mama," ending with the same sexy strut the album began with, giving it the feel of a Möbius Strip. Nina Simone Sings the Blues is a hallmark recording that endures; it deserves to be called a classic. The 2006 expanded edition by Legacy features utterly gorgeous, remastered sound, and includes a pair of bonus tracks; there is a second version of "Do I Move You," and a fine version of Willie Dixon's "Whatever I Am You Made Me," released as a single in 1969. David Nathan wrote a fine liner essay, and the set includes the original liner notes written by Sid McCoy.

AMG Pick
1 Do I Move You? Simone 2:46
2 Day and Night Stevenson 2:35
3 In the Dark Green 2:57
4 Real Real Simone 2:21
5 My Man's Gone Now Gershwin, Heyward 4:16
6 Backlash Blues Hughes, Simone 2:31
7 I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl Simone 2:32
8 Buck Bryan, Stroud 1:52
9 Since I Fell for You Johnson 2:52
10 The House of the Rising Sun Price 3:53
11 Blues for Mama Lincoln, Simone 4:00