Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#61 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Barbara Morrsion's debut CD from the early 90s was added yesterday
http://www.emusic.com/album/Barbara-Mor ... 14846.html

sdswingr

#62 Post by sdswingr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Just downloaded this..

Django Reinhardt, Stéphane Grappelli & Quintet Du Hot Club De France.

If you are into Gypsy jazz it is a great comp...

http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Dja ... 86804.html

Nate Dogg

#63 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16 pm

In the past few weeks, some albums from a label called "Drive Archive" have been added. I am not that familiar with the label, looks like a lot of classic swing recordings, probably recordings that appear elsewhere. In general, there is a lot of classic swing turning up, from obscure labels.

Because of the Black and Blue additions, I have already gone through my monthly allocation plus a booster pack this month. If anybody has any thoughts on Drive Archive (or any of the other classic swing labels for that matter), feel free to chime in (some of you have been).

Classic swing is not my focus as a DJ. I think I should own more, if for no other reason to be have a more well rounded library. Part of the problem is that so many classic swing CDs all look similar on the surface, and you never know what you are getting unless you listen to it first. Since, I am not an expert, any advice to help avoid duplication, poor remastering, etc... is appreciated. If anybody is willing to help cull out the albums on eMusic worth downloading, it would help me, as well as, numerous other DJs like me, who would like to have more music from the era, but, classic swing is never at the top of our "wish list." Listening to the 30 seconds samples myself is only of limited usefulness.

Yes, I know I can do a lot of research, etc... But, some of guys see these albums and know instantly if they are worth downloading or not.

Nathan

meadtastic

#64 Post by meadtastic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:43 pm

tough call nate. it's pretty fun to find a good classic song almost nobody has, and it's pretty easy to doctor a song a bit to cut down the noise.

emusic is pretty easy to navigate.

what i do is find the user profile of djs i like and listen to what they've downloaded. i.e. go up to a dj and say "hey what's your name on emusic? what you been downloading?" then you go on emusic, search for them and look at the d/l tab.

sdswingr

#65 Post by sdswingr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Hmm, maybe a thread with our emusic names?

Haydn

#66 Post by Haydn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:16 am

There's lots of good early jazz by all sorts of people on an album called Vintage Jazz

Haydn

#67 Post by Haydn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 am

Nate Dogg wrote:In general, there is a lot of classic swing turning up, from obscure labels ... If anybody is willing to help cull out the albums on eMusic worth downloading, it would help me, as well as, numerous other DJs like me, who would like to have more music from the era ...
You could have a look at these:

Berry Story by Chu Berry

Classics 1937-1939 by Lionel Hampton

The Band That Plays The Blues by Woody Herman

Dance With His Nbc Orchestra by Teddy Hill

The Transcription Performances 1935 by Claude Hopkins

Spike Hughes by Spike Hughes

Record Session '39-'42 by Harry James

Swing & Blues Louis Jordan by Louis Jordan

Together by Frank Sinatra With Tommy Dorsey

Jumpin' For Joy by Teddy Wilson

They are all on the European HEP, Retrieval or Epm Musique labels, and I think they are available worldwide on eMusic. In my opinion, the best sound quality is normally found on the original label (such as Bluebird, RCA, Sony, Decca etc), which means buying the CD. Sound quality on most of these is quite good though :)

gazzini

emusic and production

#68 Post by gazzini » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:53 pm

I totally agree that emusic does offer a great range of big band swing which I recently used at the glenn miller swing festival this year, I also suggest that you look out for any swing on the disky label and i am currently trying to find the remaster who worked on some of there compliation material as the production was so great with amazing dynamics... so will update you.... anyway it may be a good idea if other people can share paid sites info to download swing????

Nate Dogg

#69 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Telarc titles have started to show in recent weeks. Nothing too noteworthy (correct me if I missed something). Mostly, classical titles, but there are a few good jazz titles on Telarc that would be worth downloading if they were added.

Among the new albums, there is a novelty song of note if you want it, Tony DeSare did a cover of Prince's Kiss.

Nate Dogg

#70 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 pm

A few of the "Swingin' To" CDs are on eMusic, not sure how long they have been there.

Discussed in the worst song ever thread
http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... on&start=0

A few DJs in the thread said "Truckin" from the Grateful Dead CD is not bad, they have played it

lipi

#71 Post by lipi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:19 pm

o.k., i've bought into the whole "albums not available anywhere else" thing and signed up, but the ui is driving me nuts. two questions:

is there a way to view a list of all tracks by a particular artist? i don't want to click through the albums one by one. there's the "popular tracks" list at the bottom right of each artist page, but no full list that i can find.

what is the sorting criterion (and can i change it) for the results returned by a search? for example, if i search for "mary don't you weep", i get three pages of results, which appear unsorted. "shirley caesar" is on the list five or six times, in five or six different places.

Nate Dogg

#72 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:51 am

As far as I can tell, you just have to dig through the albums or the lists as you described them. I don't know of any tricks. They UI had evolved over time, but it is still somewhat album oriented.

Haydn

#73 Post by Haydn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:29 am

lipi wrote:o.k., i've bought into the whole "albums not available anywhere else" thing and signed up, but the ui is driving me nuts. two questions:

is there a way to view a list of all tracks by a particular artist? i don't want to click through the albums one by one. there's the "popular tracks" list at the bottom right of each artist page, but no full list that i can find.
I don't think you can list all tracks by artist. The eMusic database seems to work by album, not by track.

For example, you can see all albums by Fletcher Henderson -
http://www.emusic.com/artist/MP3-Download/10562177.html

As you probably know, you all also list all tracks, for example 'King Porter Stomp' -
http://www.emusic.com/search.html?mode= ... mp&x=0&y=0

- but I don't think you have any control of the sorting of these, and they don't appear to be in any particular order.

One useful method I have found is to search within a particular label I like.

Say you're looking at the HEP label -
http://www.emusic.com/label/HEP-Records ... 30598.html

- by clicking in the bottom left of the page, you can choose View All 'Albums' -
http://www.emusic.com/browse/l/b/-dbm/a ... 598/0.html

- and then sort by 'Artist Name (A-Z)' -
http://www.emusic.com/browse/l/b/a/b/0- ... 598/0.html

The user interface and search options could be improved, but I still find eMusic very useful. You can hear samples of almost every track, and the Download Manager makes downloading fast and simple.

Haydn

#74 Post by Haydn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 am

There's an album called 'No Name Jive' by the Casa Loma Orchestra which is new on eMusic. Lovely 1930s music with good sound quality -

http://www.emusic.com/album/Casa-Loma-O ... .html?cs=1

Check out the tracks 'Swing Tonic', 'Malady in F' and 'Zig Zag' on this album :)

lipi

#75 Post by lipi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:17 pm

thanks haydn -- the searching by label and sorting by artist is pretty useful.