Kermit Ruffins

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Kermit Ruffins

#1 Post by Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:37 pm

I've heard two songs I've never heard before playing on Tony Quach's Yehoodi show today, both by Kermit Ruffins. They are moderate-tempo high-energy swinging tunes that I just totally dig. Anyone play him?

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:51 pm

I'm a little surprised you never heard of him. "Wake Up Nessie" made the rounds as a Stormy-Monday/Wade In the Water-like overplayed song last year, particularly here in Austin after he played it during the Exchange.

Great song, but I have the impression it's a one-hit-wonder. I also play a version of "This Little Light of Mine" with some kids singing the whole song as a goof, but I haven't found anything close to the quality of "Wake Up Nessie" in the three CDs I have by him.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:52 pm

I love Kermit Ruffins. The two songs Tony has included in his Yehoodi Radio show are "Wake Up Neesie" and "When I Die, You Better Second Line" off of the album Big Easy. This is a great album, and I actually turned Tony onto it during a trip to Amoeba (it was highly recommended to me by several people to begin with). I play both of those songs fairly regularly myself, and there are plenty of other great cuts on the album as well. Haven't really checked out any of his other albums yet though.

Jesse

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:58 pm

Lawrence wrote:I'm a little surprised you never heard of him. "Wake Up Nessie" made the rounds as a Stormy-Monday/Wade In the Water-like overplayed song last year, particularly here in Austin after he played it during the Exchange.

Great song, but I have the impression it's a one-hit-wonder. I also play a version of "This Little Light of Mine" with some kids singing the whole song as a goof, but I haven't found anything close to the quality of "Wake Up Nessie" in the three CDs I have by him.
The album came out before the first Lindy Gras in 2003. I think every DJ there bought the album, a few dancers actually went to a Kermit Ruffins show on the Thursday before the Exchange.

That would explain why so many DJs played it, at least in Texas.

It may have been played earlier, but that was when it really starting gettin some attention, at least in my circles.

Colin often plays Kermit's version of "If You're a Viper" from one of his earlier albums.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mousethief

#5 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Lindygras rulz.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Ron

#6 Post by Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:42 pm

Well, it just goes to show how out of touch I am with the national scene these days. But that's OK. If I start playing a song that's new to me and new in San Diego, it doesn't really matter if its overplayed elsewhere, it's new here, usually.

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:20 pm

"Wake Up Nessie" was one of Serg's favorites upon returning from LindyGras. I loved it. Still do.

Diggin' DJ Tony's show as well.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:49 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:The album came out right before the first Lindy Gras in 2003. I think every DJ there bought the album, a few dancers actually went to a Kermit Ruffins show on the Thursday before the Exchange.

That would explain why so many DJs played it, at least in Texas.
Actually, Bill Borgida played it at the 2002 Austin Exchange before MG3 played Sunday night. It hit everyone at the right time, and then the band picked the song up and finished it, making it even more memorable. That dance made my top ten ever.

As for being out-of-touch, Ron, I said it was surprising, not that there is anything wrong with getting a life... outside of the dance scene. I'm with you there, buddy. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

BigCash

#9 Post by BigCash » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:58 pm

A'hem... :)

Kermit rocks!

It has been torture not hiring him for our exchange, and believe me I've wanted to. But he's a bit too hard to manage, and a bit risky for an exchange... but who knows. Maybe one year.

I have just about every CD that has Kermit on it.. and since I try to only DJ local music, he get's a lot of play. All four CDs offer plenty of songs worth spinning. I think his latest, (Big Easy) offers more of a modern swing feel, but if you like Trad... his earlier three rock.
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

Ryan

#10 Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:32 pm

With no disrespect to Kermit and that whole "variety" thing...

Just hire any bands with Duke Heitger and Evan Christopher involved for every single night of Lindy Gras instead.

BigCash

#11 Post by BigCash » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:54 am

Yah Duke and Evan are amazing... :)

But New Orleans has soooo many more musicians.

ActuallyI'm in the middle of booking banks for LG2005 right now.
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

Ryan

#12 Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:23 pm

By the way Keith... ever thought of doing a live recording of Duke's Band at Lindy Gras? Something to think about. I talked to Duke and Evan about it last year and they said they had never recorded a live album. They sounded interested. I for one would by a copy of that in a heartbeat.

gatorgal

#13 Post by gatorgal » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:18 pm

Then I'd mug Ryan for his copy. Seriously tho, great idea.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#14 Post by djstarr » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:04 pm

BigCash wrote:A'hem... :)

Kermit rocks!

It has been torture not hiring him for our exchange, and believe me I've wanted to. But he's a bit too hard to manage, and a bit risky for an exchange... but who knows. Maybe one year.

I have just about every CD that has Kermit on it.. and since I try to only DJ local music, he get's a lot of play. All four CDs offer plenty of songs worth spinning. I think his latest, (Big Easy) offers more of a modern swing feel, but if you like Trad... his earlier three rock.
KEITH! Hire him next year! Or for at least part of late night or something. I went up to Vaughan's last Thursday to listen to him and I found him really awesome.

And thanks to Jim W. for steering me to buy "Big Easy"; I'm going to play "On the Sunny Side of the Street" off of it on Sunday. I think Kevin Tamura may be the only DJ in Seattle who plays Kermit and Kevin is too busy riding his bike these days to DJ much, so I'm going to take up the Kermit helm ;-0

fredo

#15 Post by fredo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Sorry Brenda, I play Kermit too. :)

He was at Southwest Lindyfest last year and did a great job.