Minnie the Moochers Wedding Day

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Kyle

Minnie the Moochers Wedding Day

#1 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:30 pm

Question:

I thought that Minnie the Moocher was one of Cab's signature songs, is that true?

I then made the assumption that Minnie the Moochers Wedding Day was his too, is that true?

However, I am seeing more and more versions of Wedding Day by more and more artists. Why? and Why am I not seeing as many versions of Minne the Moocher by these artists.

Is there no connection between the two songs? Is the Wedding song an answer to Cab's song, similar to 1oclock and 2oclock jump?

Any and all information is kindly requested.

Swifty

#2 Post by Swifty » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:53 pm

Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler wrote it for Cab in the early 30's as a follow up to "Minnie the Moocher."

Jimmie Lunceford recorded "Minnie the Moocher is Dead" in 1939/40

djstarr

#3 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:54 pm

I played "Minnie the Moocher's Wedding Day" last night [on Henry Red Allen's "Ride, Red, Ride" with Horace Henderson orchestra] - a tune I rarely spin so I think it's funny this post is here --- the hive mind is starting to transcend the web site! lol

I was tempted to follow it up with Cab's "Minnie the Moocher", but didn't since no one who was there (except for maybe Travis) would have gotten it.

There doesn't appear to be an obvious connection as far as style between the two songs; at least One O'clock and Two O'clock jump are connected musically.

Soupbone

#4 Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:12 am

djstarr wrote:I played "Minnie the Moocher's Wedding Day" last night [on Henry Red Allen's "Ride, Red, Ride" with Horace Henderson orchestra] - a tune I rarely spin so I think it's funny this post is here --- the hive mind is starting to transcend the web site! lol
I used that version of that tune in the Invitational J&J at the All Bal Weekend this year. I dig Horace's version.

Edited to add: Hey Brenda -- drop me an email. I sent you one through your delphi profile, but I don't trust that system to know that you actually got it!
Gary

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:55 pm

For a second there, I thought this was Yehoodi and this thread was about one of the Moochers (Ithaca) getting married. :shock:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com