Test drive the new look AMG

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Test drive the new look AMG

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:54 pm

Went on to http://www.allmusic.com this morning and it looks very different from last night.
Give the new interface a test drive. See that you think?
Last edited by Bob the Builder on Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinSchaper

#2 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:01 pm

I think lazy people who code to one browser suck.

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:06 pm

Waiting for www.allmusic.com... (on a 3mps connection.)
Reuben Brown
Southern California

funkyfreak

#4 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:15 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:I think lazy people who code to one browser suck.
Good god, what are they thinking? It's not like there's anything they used there that COULDN'T be cross compatable... Lazy indeed.

-FF

Kyle

#5 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:47 am

looks great

too bad you guys are computer geeks who just CANT use IE

main_stem

#6 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:13 am

Kyle wrote:
too bad you guys are computer geeks who just CANT use IE
IE is a bug filled piece of shit that leaves it's users vulnerable to viruses. But, don't take my word for it.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure ... 65,00.html

http://slate.msn.com/id/2103152

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... p/22103407

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/0 ... index.html
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Kyle

#7 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:46 am

oh, I know all about that. not a concern for me at work, my IT department covers that.

but, the site today is so packed with visitors, i keep getting timed out!

i think ill register tomorrow

main_stem

#8 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:57 am

Wow this site was some of the worst mark up I've seen in a long time. There are over 75 errors in Their CSS (I stop counting there were just too many). It's not valid XHTML. (Sad)

What's really sad is that the design isn't complex, and it would be easy to make this site accecible to all browsers. Hell VH1 has a more complex and robust site that is acceccible to all browsers.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:22 am

The new interface looks great at first glance, but right now the pages are loading like molasses. I'll have to wait until the traffic dies down or they get a faster server running to really check it out. The site was running slowly before this overhaul, and it seems kind of silly to do a major upgrade like this that will only take up more server resources if they aren't going to majorly beef up the server as well, especially allowing for more concurrent database connections.

I agree that it is very frustrating as a Firefox (Mozilla) user to come across a site like this that I use on a regular basis only to find they've decided to not support my browser choice - a choice that is becoming more and more prevalent. This is an uncommon practice among major sites these days, makes them look unprofessional and will only hurt them in the long run.

Jesse

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:40 am

Kyle wrote:too bad you guys are computer geeks who just CANT use IE
It's not a matter of can't. It's a matter of simply using a better brower... and I'm a non-computer geek who uses Firefox cause it's much more user friendly and efficient. IE is for grandma to check her email and look up recipes.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 am

As someone who's studied html/css and other various standards, and have developed for multiple browsers i have to comment.

IE is a fine browser... however all the issues that have been brought about it are pretty much true. It's design makes it inherintly a security risk.

Any good web designer will know the standards and how to make things work on almost all browsers. It really doesn't take that much work. So boo to allmusic if they've hired a half-wit designer who won't do the research.

As for the look of the new site interface, i have to say it's much better.

main_stem

#12 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:38 pm

GemZombie wrote:As someone who's studied html/css and other various standards, and have developed for multiple browsers i have to comment.

IE is a fine browser... however all the issues that have been brought about it are pretty much true. It's design makes it inherintly a security risk.
Don't make me laugh.
Windows Explorer vs Standards

On a recent project I spent 3 day hacking my CSS to accomodate for all the bugs in IE.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Kyle

#13 Post by Kyle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:45 pm

last i heard, 85% of the population used IE

any new stats saying that Firebird is coming up?

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:31 pm

main_stem wrote:
GemZombie wrote:As someone who's studied html/css and other various standards, and have developed for multiple browsers i have to comment.

Don't make me laugh.
Windows Explorer vs Standards

On a recent project I spent 3 day hacking my CSS to accomodate for all the bugs in IE.
Then i don't know what you're talking about.. i've done lots of CSS code that works just fine on IE and the rest. It doesn't take excessive work to get them all to be compatible. I'm not saying it obeys all the standards, and some of them are admittedly quite frustrating, but it hasn't been a headache to make things work.

main_stem

#15 Post by main_stem » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:06 pm

GemZombie wrote: Then i don't know what you're talking about.. i've done lots of CSS code that works just fine on IE and the rest. It doesn't take excessive work to get them all to be compatible. I'm not saying it obeys all the standards, and some of them are admittedly quite frustrating, but it hasn't been a headache to make things work.
You are one very lucky man then.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon