Eddie Condon

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Eddie Condon

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:59 pm

Eddie Condon, is a person I've had on my list of stuff the get more of. I keep hearing about him, and was reminded againn today.

Barnes & Noble have a huge set of Live 1944 - Town Hall Concerts, Vol. 1 - 11, as well as some other very interesting CD's. Are they any good?

What would you recomend from Eddie Condon?

djstarr

#2 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:33 am

I was at a Trad Jazz concert and the guy there selling CDs had a bunch of Eddie Condon - he recommended Bixieland/Treasury of Jazz --- two LPs that have been combined into one CD. Great great CD - songs of all tempos all with the nice chicago lilt to it. Really nice mid-tempo version of Louisiana that I've been playing a lot lately.

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:42 am

I don't have much but I love everything I have. In fact, right now, I'm listening to The Classic Sessions on JSP.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

main_stem

#4 Post by main_stem » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 am

My personal favorite is Midnight in Moscow/The Roaring Twenties Lots of great music on this disc.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

lindyholic

#5 Post by lindyholic » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:09 am

main_stem wrote:My personal favorite is Midnight in Moscow/The Roaring Twenties Lots of great music on this disc.
That's good, I have that and really enjoy it. The JSP box set is also really good.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:09 pm

i just got Dr. Jazz Vol. 1 from daedalus books during their sale (still going on). it's very good. some chatter (like on the townhall concert discs), but i kind of like that.

phantom dancer

#7 Post by phantom dancer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 pm

Bob, I own a few of the Eddie Condon Town Hall CDs & LPs released on Jazzology. They are excellent. Complete b'casts. High quality audio & liner notes. One 2CD set I have though, early in the series, is marred by not being individually tracked and being remastered in such a way as to produce sharp audio artefacts in the background. But it doesn't get in the way of the music. The LP version of the same CD is fine.

You can get all 11 2-CD volumes, new or used, at my online store and you'll be doing swing on community radio a favour at the same time

Cheers
Greg
The Phantom Dancer. Swing & dance from live 1920s-50s radio. Tuesdays, 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney & 2ser.com. Presented by Greg Poppleton since 1985!