Ruth Gaylor

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Rodmann2

Ruth Gaylor

#1 Post by Rodmann2 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:15 am

Hello. My name is Rod and this is my first post. I'm a huge Big Band fan with almost 1,000 rare 78's from the 20's-50's and about 200 Big Band CD's. I'm also into Soul-Jazz like the 1960's and 70's recordings of Roy Ayers, Normon Connors and Dee Dee Bridgewater. I just found out about this wonderful forum today and I can't wait to get started!

Does anyone have any information on an excellent vocalist named Ruth Gaylor that sang with the Hudson-DeLange, Mitchell Ayres, Bunny Berigan, Teddy Powell and Hal McIntyre Orchestras?

I've been a fan of her work for years, particularly the excellent sides that she recorded with Hal McIntyre & His Orchestra in the mid-40's. Miss Gaylor sang the best versions of 'I'm Making Believe', 'I Didn't Know About You' and 'My Funny Valentine' that I've ever heard in my life!

I've searched and searched the internet for years looking for information about her but I've found nothing. Does anyone know if she's still living? Is there a website where I can find out more about her? Is there a compilation of her work that's available somewhere? Does she have an email or home address where I can write her? Please feel free to share any information that you have about this very underrated singer.

When I listen to Ruth Gaylor's recordings it almost brings tears to my eyes that she is not more well known. Thanks in advance for any information or comments that anyone can share about her.

Kyle

#2 Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:48 pm

glad to see you made it :)

Kyle

#3 Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:49 pm

this is SPP from JiveJunction

Rodmann2

#4 Post by Rodmann2 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:40 am

Hey Kyle. Thanks for letting me know about this forum. I can talk about my favorite Big Band singers and recordings all day if someone will listen to me! LOL.

This forum seems a little deserted now. I hope that it picks up. I bet it's un when the members are actually participating. :)