Rhythm

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

MikeD

Rhythm

#1 Post by MikeD » Sat May 15, 2004 1:08 pm

The song Rhythm by Casey McGill....

Is that his own original tune? Or are there other versions of this song?

voilsb

#2 Post by voilsb » Sat May 15, 2004 7:00 pm

Well, I don't know if he wrote it, but he owns the copyright for it.

And Allmusic.com doesn't give a composer for the song.
Brian Voils

Bob the Builder

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun May 16, 2004 3:57 pm

I don't have the sound track, but I was under the impression Casey McGill composed it for the musical "Swing".

Brian

Zot

#4 Post by Zot » Sun May 16, 2004 6:32 pm

Strange. I thought that was one he didn't compose.

What's this one? Anyone got it? Rhythm, by (oddly enough) another band from the 30s called Spirits of Rhythm:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... ri288y052a
"Take the worst of neo-swing and put it together with Glen Miller. The man thinks the Count is someone from a horror flick. Take pity on him and let him play two or three tunes. But be sure you have some errands to run." -- Bill Borgida

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sun May 16, 2004 11:57 pm

Rhythm by Spirits of Rhythm sounds nothing like Rhythm by Casey McGill.

Futhermore, I have Rhythm by Spirits of Rhythm but see no need to pick up Rhythm by Casey McGill. haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

LazyP

#6 Post by LazyP » Mon May 17, 2004 12:41 am

Bob the Builder wrote:I don't have the sound track, but I was under the impression Casey McGill composed it for the musical "Swing".

Brian
No, he composed some new songs for the musical "Swing". But they also used some songs from his album "Jump". This is one of the songs from the album. The album was the reason (or at least one of the reasons) they wanted him and his group for the musical as far as I know.
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

Ron

#7 Post by Ron » Tue May 18, 2004 12:56 pm

It is an excellent song. As is the rest of the CD. It's too bad they they didn't continue to write and release new songs and CDs like that.

Kyle

#8 Post by Kyle » Tue May 18, 2004 1:33 pm

it's good so long as you understand that they are a 'neo' big band, so it has a tendency to sound like that

Ron

#9 Post by Ron » Tue May 18, 2004 1:50 pm

Yes, but like Indigo Swing, Jellyroll, Mighty Blue Kings, and a very few other bands, they weren't so "neo" as to be obnoxious, in my opinion, and they actually wrote good original music. Good. Original. Music.

Kyle

#10 Post by Kyle » Tue May 18, 2004 2:28 pm

Jellyroll - (the band from SF?) Not that great of a band. They did play the songs that were not as popular to remake, but still not that great of a band, and belinda is not a great signer.

MBK- Blues all the way. But, they were a good blues band

Indigo- Classic neo chesse IMO. Especially the first CD. The later CD's took a different angle on neo, but still the 'classic' neo

Casey McGill - Rhythm is a good (for neo) song. Not a lot of Cheese factor, and not a lot of the rompin blaring horn sound of most neo big bands. However, the rest of the stuff borders on the spy vs. spy stuff and whatnot. (this is all from memory, my CD is at home, so I am not listening to it atm) They do have another song that is popular to play, and that fits the classic definition of neo cheese.

Zot

#11 Post by Zot » Wed May 19, 2004 7:34 pm

I thought "Jump" was great when it came out. My musical tastes have since moved on (or back).
"Take the worst of neo-swing and put it together with Glen Miller. The man thinks the Count is someone from a horror flick. Take pity on him and let him play two or three tunes. But be sure you have some errands to run." -- Bill Borgida

jmatthew

#12 Post by jmatthew » Thu May 20, 2004 3:31 pm

I'm a bit dismayed because Jellyroll took Casey's place in the movie version of "Swing" due out this summer. I'm from Portland, so I have to like Casey (and probably would if I were from elsewhere, but I'm new, so we'll see where my tastes go...) but I was very unimpressed with the Demos from Jellyroll's websight. :/
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

GemZombie

#13 Post by GemZombie » Thu May 20, 2004 3:58 pm

So, I remembered that I had ripped someones' Jellyroll CD about 4 years ago after they stopped through SLO and played a gig. Figured I'd listen to it again and see what I thought. Don't know if they've changed since the album I have here (Hep Cats Holiday).

Little too much electric guitar stuff which gives it an obvious sense of neo swing. Pretty much same style as Casey McGill though, so it's a toss up.

I'd say McGill has a bit more energy though. I'd pick something completely different if i were trying to represent true vintage swing.

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu May 20, 2004 3:59 pm

Wow, does this look horrid...

http://www.swingthemovie.com/
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Zot

#15 Post by Zot » Thu May 20, 2004 6:41 pm

Yeah, it does.

But strangely, it's getting a good rating on IMDB, which I usually trust. Maybe we should reserve judgement til we've seen it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358722/