Rhythm

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#31 Post by mousethief » Tue May 25, 2004 3:06 pm

Doncha wanna fancy car?
Doncha wanna caviar?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

GemZombie

#32 Post by GemZombie » Tue May 25, 2004 4:58 pm

mousethief wrote:Doncha wanna fancy car?
Doncha wanna caviar?

Kalman
Admitting I actually know this song, the lyrics are:

Don't Want no Fancy car,
Don't want no caviar
don't wanna be no movie star...

All sung with a sufficiently growling and annoying voice that would cause all animals within a mile radius to howl until your ears bleed.

funkyfreak

#33 Post by funkyfreak » Wed May 26, 2004 3:18 pm

Ugh.

We used to have a pair of instructors who would use that song for a "promotional demo" at local dances....

...The. Same. Song. Every. Single. Time.

-FF

djstarr

#34 Post by djstarr » Thu May 27, 2004 2:51 am

Kyle wrote:Whaddaya Want

that is the song that I was searching for.

that is the cheese/neo factor that i was talking about

:)
I like the song.... although it's a song that gets worn out easily -- Miss Lee Lee, the singer is really great live.

djstarr

#35 Post by djstarr » Thu May 27, 2004 2:58 am

Ron wrote:It is an excellent song. As is the rest of the CD. It's too bad they they didn't continue to write and release new songs and CDs like that.
Casey is working on a new CD; I have a demo copy and it's got a great version of "Love is just around the corner". His backup band are three guys who play in a traditional jazz band here in Seattle called the Holotrad Band (the band leader's last name is Holo).

I struggle with Casey; he's a great piano player and plays a mean cornet, which he should play more often. His band is great rhythmically, especially when they are doing vintage material, but Casey himself is a showman - he loves that Broadway style. It doesn't make the best dance music at times; he also likes little amplification when he plays live and I've found it's hard to hear the band and it lacks energy unless you are dancing right in front of the band - then it's great.

I have a lot of respect for him as a musician; he hasn't gotten much work in Seattle as far as dance gigs, but he's played a couple of dances recently in outlying areas (Olympia, Ellensburg for a college show, and Abbotsford, B.C); hopefully with the new CD release things will pick up for him.

Next time I see him I'll ask about "Rhythm" and whether he wrote it or not.

Ron

#36 Post by Ron » Thu May 27, 2004 5:05 pm

I got pretty sick of "Waddaya Want" very quickly and its been on my do-not-play list for a long time. However, it has a catchy tune, it has lyrics people love to sing along to, it has fun breaks, and it has energy. A lot of dancers love it.

Zev

#37 Post by Zev » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:09 pm

Ron wrote:I got pretty sick of "Waddaya Want" very quickly and its been on my do-not-play list for a long time. However, it has a catchy tune, it has lyrics people love to sing along to, it has fun breaks, and it has energy. A lot of dancers love it.
There's a reason for that. It's a Leiber & Stoller tune originally done by the Coasters. I've loved the song for years. I don't care much for the Casey McGill version, it's not bad but...

djstarr

Re: Rhythm

#38 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:26 pm

MikeD wrote:The song Rhythm by Casey McGill....

Is that his own original tune? Or are there other versions of this song?
Casey came out to a dance here on Sunday. Rhythm is his original tune; he said the original Spirits of Rhythm also do a song called "Rhythm" but it's a different song.

mousethief

#39 Post by mousethief » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:02 pm

Ron wrote:I got pretty sick of "Waddaya Want" very quickly and its been on my do-not-play list for a long time. However, it has a catchy tune, it has lyrics people love to sing along to, it has fun breaks, and it has energy. A lot of dancers love it.
There's a girl here that just LOVES the damn song. Too bad mine got stolen...

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."