Need help with an unfamiliar acronym...

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

Need help with an unfamiliar acronym...

#1 Post by gatorgal » Thu May 13, 2004 9:45 am

I'm perusing a book my friend let borrow, The Encyclopedia of Jazz and Blues by Keith Shadwick.

In it, he keeps using an acronym, JATP, in reference to a concert or series of concerts done by everyone who's important in jazz.

I, of course, have no idea what he's talking about. Anyone familiar with the acronym?

Thanks.
Tina 8)

p.s. Even though the book is dated, it seems like a decent reference book. I'm having fun reading it.
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

gatorgal

#2 Post by gatorgal » Thu May 13, 2004 9:49 am

Check that... I don't think it's a concert. Here's a line from the book.

RE: Oscar Peterson
Persuaded by Norman Granz to join the annual JATP package in 1949, Peterson, on his NYC debut that year with his own trio, immediately impressed both audiences and fellow musicians alike.
Mightily confused in Florida...
Tina 8)

Jerry_Jelinek

#3 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu May 13, 2004 10:04 am

JATP = Jazz at the Philharmonic

Norman Granz was the promoter for these events.
AllMusic.com wrote:Norman Granz

Born Aug 6, 1918 in Los Angeles, CA
Died Nov 22, 2001 in Geneva, Switzerland

by Scott Yanow

At the height of his career, Norman Granz was one of the most powerful nonmusicians in jazz. He always fought for the music he believed in (having a love for freewheeling jam sessions), for his artists (who he accurately considered to be among the greatest in the world) and against racism, forcing many hotels and concert venues to become integrated in the 1940s and 50s. He studied at UCLA, served in the Army and then in 1944 began to make an impact on jazz. Granz supervised the award-winning film short Jammin' the Blues (which featured Lester Young) and put on a concert at the Philharmonic Auditorium in Los Angeles that he dubbed Jazz at the Philharmonic. The latter was such a big success that soon Granz was able to take the all-star jam sessions on domestic and eventually worldwide tours. The producer loved to team together top artists from the bop and swing worlds in "battles" and, although these rousing concerts were often criticized by conservative and somewhat humorless jazz critics, the jams resulted in a great deal of rewarding music. Not content with merely presenting concerts, Granz often recorded the performances even though, at 10-15 minutes, they were too long for a conventional three-minute '78. Granz founded Clef (1946) and Norgran (1953), eventually consolidating his music when he founded Verve in 1956. The rise of the LP in the early '50s was perfect timing and Granz was able to release many JATP performances on records. In addition to his work as a record company head and a concert promoter, Granz managed Ella Fitzgerald and in 1956 he largely started Verve as a label to feature her recordings. Among the many other artists who prospered in the 1950s due to Granz were Oscar Peterson (who he discovered and managed), Lester Young, Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie, Art Tatum, Count Basie and Ben Webster. By the late '50s JATP was drastically slowing down and in 1960 Granz sold Verve to MGM. He functioned mostly as a concert promoter and the manager of Ella and O.P. in the 1960s but in 1973 he returned full force to the record business, founding the very successful Pablo label. Many of Granz's favorite artists had had erratic recording careers in the 1960s (including Ella, Basie, Roy Eldridge and Dizzy Gillespie) but the rise of Pablo resulted in their discographies being uplifted and greatly expanded. Granz extensively recorded his artists (including Joe Pass who soon found fame, Zoot Sims, Sarah Vaughan, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis and especially Oscar Peterson), emphasizing the spontaneity of jam sessions. The number of Pablo releases slowed down during the 1980s and in 1987 Granz sold the label to Fantasy where most of his sessions were eventually reissued on CD. Norman Granz retired to Switzerland, having greatly helped the music he loves. He died in Geneva from complications of cancer on November 22, 2001.
Also there are quite a few of the early JATP concerts on CD.

MikeD

#4 Post by MikeD » Thu May 13, 2004 12:15 pm

If you ever need to know about an acronym.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Thu May 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Thanks Jerry and Mike!

Tina 8)

JesseMiner

#6 Post by JesseMiner » Thu May 13, 2004 1:29 pm

The popular live version of "Smooth Sailing" by Ella that is found on Bluella is originally from J.A.T.P. In Tokyo.

And for an extensive listing of JATP recordings:

Jazz at the Philharmonic

Jesse

Jerry_Jelinek

#7 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu May 13, 2004 3:49 pm

JesseMiner wrote:...And for an extensive listing of JATP recordings:

Jazz at the Philharmonic
Thanks Jesse, I had no idea of the volume of material out there. The first 10 CD set of JATP is fun to listening to. Gives me an idea for a future radio show :)

Also of note is Norman started video recording the JATP at Montreux from the 1970s. I have probably 8 or 10 hours worth of videos from these. Unfortunately they aren't on DVD. Hopefully someone with some brains will get the rights and publish a multi DVD set of the videos. They are fun.

When everyone comes through Cleveland, it would be a fun diversion to have a JATP watching session.