Cootie Williams in Hi-Fi

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

sonofvu

#16 Post by sonofvu » Mon May 24, 2004 2:32 pm

I like this cd but there are some things about it that give me the heebie geebies. 1) It has that "Old man" big band sound. The musicians seemed to be restrained. Almost like it's for listening and not dancing. A perfect example of this is Air Mail Special. Great song, Cootie's solo although a recreation of Goodman's solo is exceptional but the problem is that it seems like he is tiptoeing around the material and not getting after it. I like Summit Ridge Drive, On the Street where you live, I'll see you in my dreams and Swingin' down the lane. Stay to hell away from My Old Flame. I think that song is wretched and I have never found a good version of it anywhere.
2) The bonus material has that 50's rock and roll feel to it, shich definitely gives me the heebie jeebies. Almost like it is not jazz anymore heebie jeebies. Yeah, Block Rock is not swing but I like it. Percy Speaks is another good one. Cootie growls on this one. Shoot he growls on everything.

I don't know. I'll rip some stuff off of it. Then I'll try and fit it into a set somewhere. I'm not expecting much. It's a good cd I just don't like the vibe I get from it.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Jerry_Jelinek

#17 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon May 24, 2004 4:07 pm

sonofvu wrote:.... Stay to hell away from My Old Flame. I think that song is wretched and I have never found a good version of it anywhere...
Not found a good version of My Old Flame??!!! You haven't heard the Spike Jones version. Spike was the master of novelty comedy in the 40s and 50s. His version of My Old Flame is a classic. True, it isn't dance, but it is VERY good.
...2) The bonus material has that 50's rock and roll feel to it, shich definitely gives me the heebie jeebies....
This is true. I don't own the bonus stuff CD, and frankly after hearing it from a friend, I have no desire to own it.

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Thu May 27, 2004 3:28 am

sonofvu wrote:Stay to hell away from My Old Flame. I think that song is wretched and I have never found a good version of it anywhere.
George - where is the romantic in you? :-)

My high school band used My Old Flame as the solo ballad piece for our lead alto - he did a great job on it and I've always enjoyed listening to the song ---- however, it is a ballad - it's not even really a good song for slow dancing --- I've typically heard it arranged as a solo vehicle.

sonofvu

#19 Post by sonofvu » Thu May 27, 2004 12:43 pm

I don't know what it is about that song that just sends me running the other way. And I don't what about it that I find insipid. Maybe it is the lyrics, or maybe the melody. I don't know. All I know is that me and that song do not get along. And by the way, I'm as romantic as the next guy. Maybe even more so. For the past month I've been updating my romantic swing music. I have 5 songs now. :)
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri May 28, 2004 10:08 am

sonofvu wrote: For the past month I've been updating my romantic swing music. I have 5 songs now. :)
Five songs, that's a short date.

mousethief

#21 Post by mousethief » Fri May 28, 2004 10:14 am

Heh.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."