Cootie Williams in Hi-Fi

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

sonofvu

Cootie Williams in Hi-Fi

#1 Post by sonofvu » Wed May 12, 2004 11:24 am

So, I decided to get this cd:

I received the cd and excitedly tore open the package and inserted the disk into my powerbook when I realized that there are only 12 tracks on the disk. I looked at the listing in allmusic and amazon and both list 23 tracks. I contacted the seller, they apologized and told me that my money will be refunded and that I could keep the cd. What is going here?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 12, 2004 11:28 am

allmusic.com wrote:This 12-song album from 1958 -- appended with 11 more that appeared as singles from the year before
The CD version I had does have the extra 11 songs, but I guess you are proof that there are copies floating around that are just of the original album, so technically you did get the entire album "Cootie Williams in Hi-Fi". Your copy is just missing the extra 11 tracks which were bonus tracks, not featured on the original. The extra songs actually have a very different sound from the ones on the album, and you honestly might be disappointed if you are expecting them to be in the same vein as the twelve you have heard.

Jesse

sonofvu

#3 Post by sonofvu » Wed May 12, 2004 11:32 am

Yeah I just read that on allmusic, carefully again for the third time. But I thought that I was getting the re-issue cd. I guess I got the orginal for free. What really gets me is that I want the song "Block Rock".

Ron

#4 Post by Ron » Wed May 12, 2004 11:32 am

Yeah, I have the extra ones, too, and they aren't that great. They have a 50's R&B sound.

I actually wasn't that fond of the original tracks, either, it was a CD I kinda wished I hadn't bought.

sonofvu

#5 Post by sonofvu » Wed May 12, 2004 11:39 am

Oh, now you tell me. I should have consulted with the hive before I made this purchase. :)

Kyle

#6 Post by Kyle » Wed May 12, 2004 1:07 pm

that is a great CD

Jesse first introduced it to me in SF, THANKS BRO!

I think his version of Air Mail Special is wonderful, and I know of many dancers who have that version at the top of their list for dancing.

mousethief

#7 Post by mousethief » Wed May 12, 2004 1:28 pm

Ron wrote:Yeah, I have the extra ones, too, and they aren't that great. They have a 50's R&B sound.

I actually wasn't that fond of the original tracks, either, it was a CD I kinda wished I hadn't bought.
Same here. "Echoes of Harlem Big Bands" wasn't any better.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Zot

#8 Post by Zot » Wed May 12, 2004 8:29 pm

I love this disk. Favourites for me are:
Summit Ridge Drive
Block Rock
Percy Speaks (Cootie gers readlly dirty on that riff)

But it's all good.
"Take the worst of neo-swing and put it together with Glen Miller. The man thinks the Count is someone from a horror flick. Take pity on him and let him play two or three tunes. But be sure you have some errands to run." -- Bill Borgida

GemZombie

#9 Post by GemZombie » Wed May 12, 2004 8:40 pm

I really didn't care much for the CD myself. It's not horrible (at least not all of it), but i got the shorter version, and was fairly disappointed.

sonofvu

#10 Post by sonofvu » Thu May 13, 2004 7:17 am

So it looks like it's 50-50 like/don't like with this cd. I guess I'm going to have to listen to it and make up my own mind. Where's the hive mind set when I need it? :)

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Thu May 13, 2004 7:39 am

oh, and "Block Rock" is definitely not swing :P But it sounds like you liked it, so you may like the CD after all. I played that once for some psuedo groovsters, they seemed to like it. Haven't played it since... i don't like it ;)

JesseMiner

#12 Post by JesseMiner » Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 am

Here are the songs from Cootie Williams In Hi-Fi that I carry on my mix:

Air Mail Special (184 bpm) - Great version!
Available Lover (127 bpm)
Block Rock (126 bpm)
Boomerang (118 bpm)
I'll See You In My Dreams (130 bpm)
Just In Time (125 bpm)
Nevertheless, I'm In Love With You (114 bpm)
Now That You've Loved Me (108 bpm)
Percy Speaks (122 bpm)
Summit Ridge Drive (136 bpm)
Swingin' Down The Lame (123 bpm)

Of course I have only ever played "Air Mail Special" and "Summit Ridge Drive" at dances.

You might want to check out Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From..., a swinging set by Cootie Williams from 1960. I love his version "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (118 bpm) from there which used to get played a lot. "It Don't Mean A Thing" (175 bpm) from there is pretty cool as well, but I haven't spun it in a while.

Both of these albums are great just to hear Cootie's great unique trumpet sound.

Jesse

sonofvu

#13 Post by sonofvu » Thu May 13, 2004 12:41 pm

JesseMiner wrote:

Both of these albums are great just to hear Cootie's great unique trumpet sound.

Jesse
If I want to hear Cooties unique sound I'll just listen to the Duke Ellington stuff I have! Ha! :) But I kid, I kid. I definitely will take your suggestions into consideration.
GemZombie wrote: oh, and "Block Rock" is definitely not swing But it sounds like you liked it, so you may like the CD after all. I played that once for some psuedo
groovsters, they seemed to like it. Haven't played it since... i don't like it
Block Rock is not swing? I guess it has been a while since I heard it. I don't recall getting that "this is not swing" vibe from it. Maybe you are right. I'll have to listen to it again.

Jerry_Jelinek

#14 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu May 13, 2004 4:00 pm

After all of the talk of this, I dug up my reissue. I have the first reissue that only has the Hi-Fi tracks and not the bonus stuff.

I remember liking the CD and the relisten is just as good. Of note is Bill Stegmeyers arrangemenst. He is doing a nice job of lightly swinging the charts and not going too over the top.

I think the original is very nice for listening and for lighter dancing.

Lawrence

#15 Post by Lawrence » Sat May 15, 2004 7:46 pm

Great CD; I got it years ago and still like it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com