Song Samples

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

Song Samples

#1 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:47 pm

After the fun of listening, commenting, bantering etc. in the 50s big band topic, I decided to take the song sampling idea one step further. So here goes:

http://www.wkhr.org/SwingDJs/

There are 10 song samples. These vary in swing and jazz styles. They vary in band size and a bonus clip.

Enjoy the music. I'm curious to here your opinions if the songs are danceable or not.

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:09 pm

#1: I don't like to DJ lots of trad jazz in a row, so when I do throw a song in, it tends to be by one of the old greats. That's why though I listen to my Dream Team CD, I have yet to spin from it.

#2: Rocks! I wanna get up and dance to this. Title/artist/album details?

#3: It'd take such skilled dancers that you'd only have 3 couples out on the floor if any, and in that case, why not give them a fast song they'll really really like, rather than one they merely can dance to? However, I know if a live band played this at the Times, we'd have at least 2 couples out on the floor, if not enough to fill it (4-5 out of 7 or 8 potential).

#4: See comment 1. Also, some of this makes me want to march more than it makes me want to dance. I think it's partly the presence of a tuba instead of a bass or low drum. It'd probably start a charleston jam circle here, though.

#5: I should know this tune. The middle & treble registers don't have much rhythm, and there isn't a lot of swing-style call & response, so I doubt I'd want to lindy to it, but it does make me want to dance. I'd probably bal or face-to-face charleston to it.

#6: Yeah, too many sections all playing in unison/harmony. I'd rather hear more division and playfulness. I'd scratch my head and sit out if this played at one of our venues, but I'd have fun dancing to it if asked at our venue that plays stuff like this more often. Ideally, I'd find a lead who could foxtrot.

#7: Still a lot of unison, but a lot more call & response. In fact, maybe the effect of unison comes partly because you can hear a section better, so you notice that it's 4 of the same instrument, not 2. I'd dance to this.

#8: I don't like dancing to slow 20's-style stuff. I haven't learned any dances that suit it, and I prefer not to force a square peg into a round hole.

#9: Too much unison in the intro. I think this is part of what makes something "blaring." Even when the number of instruments cuts out, the remaining ones play the same thing for an extended time. Also, the smooth style reminds me of Nick at Nite theme songs.

#10: Haha...no way! If I were in a bar and they were background to another activity (like socializing), I'd turn around and listen with a smile on my face, simply because it's a funny song.

julius

#3 Post by julius » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:14 pm

I love this, Jerry, this is fun.

1. Hey, nice violin and sousaphone. Fun for crazy-legs Charleston stuff.

2. I dug this clip more and more as it went on. This is great! Economical soloists, nice riffing, wish the drums were a bit more prominent but you can't have everything...

3. I can barely hear the rhythm section at all. Don't think I'd play this at a dance. Sounds like a bop big band playing a more transitional chart (between swing and bop).

4. Ahh, who hears tuba and doesn't want to charleston their way across a floor? great ensemble playing by some dixieland outfit. banjos are always a bit corny to me though...

5. This has a loose feel but the obbligatos and solos are tight as hell. That's damn tricky to pull off.

6. Never been a big fan of flute. Would be good for a mellow after-hours dance. It's odd though, the bass is really digging into a bluesy feel but the horns are playing a pop song or something.

7. Fun to listen to, but the drummer is throwing in a ton of fills and it seems more like a show band than a dance band.

8. I really dig this. Where can I get it?

9. Sounds like the perfect song for Lindygroove...tons of dancers would love this I'm sure.

bonus: haha, Lambert Hendricks and Ross, Gimme That Wine.
I love LHR, but I'm not sure I'd play this at a dance because of the oddball rhythm during the verses.

I've always wanted to throw in Cloudburst or Everybody's Boppin' just to torture dancers.

Jerry_Jelinek

#4 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:43 pm

Julius wrote:...I've always wanted to throw in Cloudburst or Everybody's Boppin' just to torture dancers....
Julius, you just reminded me. I have wanted to post a short clip from one of my all time favorite bands. I won't give
the name out just yet. This is a sound clip from a very popular jazz band from the 1960s into the 1970s. Led by one
of the most innovative arrangers/composers in big band jazz history.

If you want to clear the dance floor out in less than 10 seconds, then this is the band for you. Sorry for being WAY
OFF swing music. Enjoy:

http://WKHR.org/SwingDJs/Torture.mp3

It is hard to tell from this 60 second clip, but this is an extrememly talented jazz band. Further into the song, the
piano player starts improvising to this beat.

Anyway, back to your regularily scheduled program....

Ron

#5 Post by Ron » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 am

More clips, how fun! When I judge it as "danceable" I really mean, "I would play for Lindy Hop dancers". My scale: Very Danceable, Danceable, Somewhat Danceable, Not Danceable.

1. Somewhat Danceable. But people probably wouldn't Lindy to it with that upbeat, traditional jazz feel. I like the soloing. Tight playing, I like it! I very rarely play Dixielandish songs.

2. Danceable. If you like 'em fast!

3. Not danceable. Too fast, too random, sound quality too low.

4. Somewhat Danceable. A lot of the same comments as #1, dixieland isn't really good music for Lindyhop, people might do something else, though. I like the song, though.

5. Not Danceable. Same problem with it being a Dixieland song. Why the big focus on Dixieland?

6. Not Danceable. The flute, tempo and feel give it too relaxed a feel.

7. Not Danceable. It's just too irregular. Danceable songs need more of a steady rhythm. This song has too many spastic interjections by every instrument.

8. Danceable. I really like this song. Kinda slow for Lindy, but I think it would work, and the singer and the melody is intriguing. The instruments give a bouncy feel, but when people dance slower its not usually to a bouncy song normally. I keep playing this clip over and over trying to decide.

9. Danceable. Good tempo, good steady groove. The horn interjections are perhaps a little overpowering, but not too bad. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it, the melody line is like something from a smooth jazz station. Great songs have a melody line with more of an edge and some hooks.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:15 am

julius wrote:
bonus: haha, Lambert Hendricks and Ross, Gimme That Wine.
I love LHR, but I'm not sure I'd play this at a dance because of the oddball rhythm during the verses.
Kearney, Grams and Bronsdon (aka KGB Trio) covered this song on their "To Go" album. Thanks for another opprotunity to check out some KGB Trio source material.

I think I danced this song one of the times I saw KGB live. As for DJing, "Gimmie That Wine" has not been one of the songs that play, there are other songs by them that are much more mainstream I guess.

I guess I will give it another listen and compare it to LHR version. There are some other KGB fans on this Board, perhaps they have some insight.

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:24 am

Ron wrote: 1. Somewhat Danceable.

4. Somewhat Danceable.

5. Not Danceable.
There is a big difference between "Danceable" and "Lindy-able" These 3 songs were all more than "Somewhat danceable"
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

julius

#8 Post by julius » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:28 am

Oh, that clip is "We Hate You" by the We Hate Dancers Orchestra isn't it?

That is so funny. It sounds like something you might hear at a bar mitzvah or maybe a biergarten in Munich??

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:49 am

1. Extremely danceable! Happy little tune.

2. Actually, this really doesn't do much for me.

3. No thanks.

4. Extremely danceable! Another happy little tune. Banjo solos kick ass.

5. Awesome shit. Best one so far. It's fast, but there are good resting phrases.

6. Ugh.

7. Okay I suppose... doesn't really do it for me though. To much blaring.

8. Excellent selection. This is my kind of "groove."

9. EWWWWWW. God awful. Someone shoot that drummer.

10. No thanks.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Jerry_Jelinek

#10 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Hee...hee...hee....

Julius, no you got the band name a wee bit wrong.

The 'Torture' cut was from Don Ellis:
All Music wrote:Don Ellis
AKA real name: Donald Johnson Ellis
Born Jul 25, 1934 in Los Angeles, CA
Died Dec 17, 1978 in Hollywood, CA

by Scott Yanow

A talented trumpeter with a vivid musical imagination and the willingness to try new things, Don Ellis led some of the
most colorful big bands of the 1965-75 period. After graduating from Boston Unversity, Ellis played in the big bands of
Ray McKinley, Charlie Barnet and Maynard Ferguson (he was featured with the latter on "Three More Foxes"), recorded with
Charles Mingus and played with George Russell's sextet (at the same time as Eric Dolphy). Ellis led four quartet and
trio sessions during 1960-62 for Candid, New Jazz and Pacific Jazz, mixing together bop, free jazz and his interest in
modern classical music. However it was in 1965 when he put together his first orchestra that he really started to make
an impression in jazz. Ellis's big bands were distinguished by their unusual instrumentation (which in its early days
had up to three bassists and three drummers including Ellis himself), the leader's desire to investigate unusual time
changes (including 7/8, 9/8 and even 15/16), its occasionally wacky humor (highlighted by an excess of false endings)
and an openness towards using rock rhythms and (in later years) electronics. Ellis invented the four-valve trumpet and
utilized a ring modulator and all types of wild electronic devices by the late '60s. By 1971 his band consisted of an
eight-piece brass section (including French horn and tuba), a four-piece woodwind section, a string quartet and a
two-drum rhythm section. A later unrecorded edition even added a vocal quartet.

Among Don Ellis's sidemen were Glenn Ferris, Tom Scott, John Klemmer, Sam Falzone, Frank Strozier, Dave MacKay and the
brilliant pianist (straight from Bulgaria) Milcho Leviev. The orchestra's most memorable recordings were Autumn, Live at
the Fillmore and Tears of Joy (all for Columbia). After suffering a mid-'70s heart attack, Ellis returned to live
performing, playing the "superbone" and a later edition of his big band featured Art Pepper. Ellis's last recording was
at the 1977 Montreux Jazz Fesival, a year before his heart finally gave out.
The track I put was called 'Bulgarian Bulge'. The meter is 33/16. Don had a very warped sense of humor and his music
definatley reflected that. It was a shame he passed away prior to synthesizers really taking off. I would have loved
to hear what he would have done in the 80s.

He has a great song called 'Beat Me Daddy Nine to the Bar'. I seem to recall it was in meter 9/4 or 9/8. Maybe when I
get into another late nite mood, I'll throw that one up for enjoyment.

Again thanks for the digression away from swing music.

Enjoy the song samples everyone.

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Sat May 01, 2004 5:59 pm

1. I dig it, who is this? I'd play this.
2. I'd play this one too.
3. Ugh... No real center to the song.
4. Not bad, more for listening, but would consider playin' it.
5. I like the music a lot, not sure I'd play it for a dance.
6. *yawn* ack, is that a wrong note I hear? Oh god, it gets worse as it goes on. Flutes rarely swing.
7. More of that High School Swing.
8. Nice traditional music... I dig it.
9. It's the lawrence welk show! Ugh.
10. What's this crap? :P

Jerry_Jelinek

#12 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed May 05, 2004 7:16 pm

Ron wrote:.....Why the big focus on Dixieland?....
Hi Ron,

I just spotted this. Sorry for the delayed response.

You bring up a very interesting point. Prior to following this discussion board about 2 1/2 months ago, I would have never thought the more traditional jazz styles were popular by the dancers. Around Cleveland I hardly ever hear the trad. jazz being played, much less being danced to.

WHen Doug put his samples up, I noticed a definate taste in his samples for more traditional sounds. I took it one step further to hear the comments on more dixieland sounds. The comments from the pro DJs like yourself bear witness to the enjoyment of the style in dancing. Very revealing to me.

BTW - I'll get the answers to the song samples up this weekend. If you want to play along, listen to the clips and post your comments. I find the discussions a lot of fun.

Enjoy,

Toon Town Dave

#13 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed May 05, 2004 11:17 pm

Some cool stuff:

1. Kind of a neat song. A bit of western swing feel, would befun to mix up som Lindy, Charleston and a little Two-Step.

2. Cool the first time I listened but got tired quickly.

3. I would expect to hear this music while sitting on hold.

4. Cool stuff. Definitely makes me want to move. Little more of a Charleston of Shag feel to me.

5. Crazy fun stuff. Great tune for some more traditional Lindy.

6. Good for ballroom fox-trot, not much else. I was waiting for some Sinatra-esque vocals.

7. A little busy, probably a good quick-step but I don't dance quick-step.

8. Almost an awesome song. The vocalalist seems to be trying too hard to sound southern at times and that bugs me a little.

9. More music-on-hold.

10. At least it's better than some of the "Mambo's" our ballroom club uses for teaching.

Matthew

#14 Post by Matthew » Thu May 06, 2004 3:29 am

My opinions on how other dancers and I might react:

1. I think it could be fun for many dancers. Rhythm section sounds a bit square for my taste.

2. I'd enjoy this one a lot. Very bouncy, and with unique phrases to play with.

3. I like the first 15 seconds more than the rest of it.

4. I think it could be fun, especially with the break. Rhythm section again sounds slightly square for my taste.

5. I think the tempo would scare many dancers. Sounds pretty square, too.

6. I think it would have many people dancing. Flute sounds like a TV theme from the 1960s or 1970s - very, very cheesy.

7. Tempo might give some dancers pause.

8. I think many people would dance. Tempo's pretty slow for many dancers to do anything but blues.

9. I think this would polarize the dancers, or at least let you see what certain people prefer. I don't care for this one, though others may like it.

Bonus song: Annoying as heck. Lyrics are the focus, but don't give dancers much to play with.

sonofvu

#15 Post by sonofvu » Thu May 06, 2004 7:39 am

1) Dixieland with the violin replacing the clarinet. Good song. It not one of my normal songs but it would be good to use as something to broaden horizons.

2) A little bit hot. The clarinet sounds like Artie Shaw. Perhaps a bit too fast. It depends on the dancers and their level of expertise. I could see myself playing this.

3) Too fast and it does not have a catchy tag line. The music seems to be too complex or maybe too much happening. I would not play this one.

4) Dixieland again. This time it has more of a familiar feel because of the clarinet. I would play this.

5) Again with the New Orleans thing. This time more up tempo. I'm ambivalent about this one. It does not sound like Bechet but it sounds like something he would do.

6) Old guy big band. Not bad, I could dance to this I just don't know if I could play it at a dance. The audio is great. The instruments are clear and forceful. Makes you feel like you are there.

7) Great sound. The opening sequence really grabbed me but then it gave me a Glenn Milleresque vibe. I don't think I could play this at a dance. I do like the vibraphone.

8 ) Good Dixieland/blues feel to it. I'm not so sure about the vocalist. He lacks a certain yo no se que .

9) Big Band with a modern jazzy sound. This is one class that I don't know about. I find that I can listen to it but I don't like dancing to it.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.