What's the worst swing song ever?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#76 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:45 pm

Beginners respond well to Runaround Sue. It is not my favorite song, but I play it when I want something that is familar and danceable for both lindy and six count.

GemZombie

#77 Post by GemZombie » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:44 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Beginners respond well to Runaround Sue. It is not my favorite song, but I play it when I want something that is familar and danceable for both lindy and six count.
True. I get requests from local teachers who's students are wanting something slow to dance to. I know what they also mean is "something slow with a beat that will knock you over the head". Rock-ish tunes have that, so I tend to consider those as "beginner friendly". Plus, even though I DJ probably 90% classic swing (ala what you'd hear at Sugarfoot Stomp these days), the local scene aren't music snobs, and tend to enjoy just about anything. I'm very pleased with my local dance scene when it comes down to it.

WindsorSwingKid

#78 Post by WindsorSwingKid » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:30 am

This could get pretty bad:
Swingin' to Michael Jackson: A Tribute

I have played some of these tracks before to some really mixed reviews... Mostly a love it/hate it attitude... Some awesome looks from the dance floor once people realize what they are swing dancing to... :)

John...
Next Stop: ???

Segue in C

#79 Post by Segue in C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:27 pm

All copies of Rod Stewarts American Songbook should be purchased and burnt in the mother of all bonfires. What a travesty! Why do old crusties like Rod think that anyone can make a swing album. His voice has to be the absolute WORST for swing vocals.

'The Jitterbug Stroll Song' makes me want to hang myself if I ever hear it (thankfully rarely these days).

GemZombie

#80 Post by GemZombie » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:55 pm

Segue in C wrote:All copies of Rod Stewarts American Songbook should be purchased and burnt in the mother of all bonfires. What a travesty! Why do old crusties like Rod think that anyone can make a swing album. His voice has to be the absolute WORST for swing vocals.

'The Jitterbug Stroll Song' makes me want to hang myself if I ever hear it (thankfully rarely these days).
Agreed on all accounts. You know that Satan is bumpin' Rod Stewart in Hell right next to Pat Boone.

Segue in C

#81 Post by Segue in C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:21 pm

Right on!

I'll tell you a non-swing song that I have always loathed, 'Walkin' on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. I only need to hear the firts note to make a swifty exit.

GemZombie

#82 Post by GemZombie » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:44 am

Segue in C wrote:Right on!

I'll tell you a non-swing song that I have always loathed, 'Walkin' on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. I only need to hear the firts note to make a swifty exit.
They don't play that in swing venues do they? The horror!

Segue in C

#83 Post by Segue in C » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:59 am

No...just thought I'd mention it. Sometimes you hear it on commercial radio, out shopping etc...makes me cringe!!!!

Nate Dogg

#84 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:43 am

Segue in C wrote:All copies of Rod Stewarts American Songbook should be purchased and burnt in the mother of all bonfires. What a travesty! Why do old crusties like Rod think that anyone can make a swing album. His voice has to be the absolute WORST for swing vocals.

To be fair to Rod Stewart, I don't think anybody involved was trying to make a swing album. It was a standards album focusing on slow love songs.

A lot of the less educated folks who bought his song book albums may have otherwise never have been exposed to those songs. I can imagine that a few of his fans may have been inspired to pick up a Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald album after hearing the Rod Stewart version.

So, I think the albums were a good thing, not that I would play them at a dance.

GemZombie

#85 Post by GemZombie » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:51 am

Nate Dogg wrote:

To be fair to Rod Stewart, I don't think anybody involved was trying to make a swing album. It was a standards album focusing on slow love songs.

A lot of the less educated folks who bought his song book albums may have otherwise never have been exposed to those songs. I can imagine that a few of his fans may have been inspired to pick up a Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald album after hearing the Rod Stewart version.

So, I think the albums were a good thing, not that I would play them at a dance.
Though that is true, re the swing thing, it's still not good, in my opinion.

Segue in C

#86 Post by Segue in C » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:42 am

Yep, I just see it as someone trying to cash in on the 'crooners' bandwagon. With his voice, its just painful to hear.

northbayclay

#87 Post by northbayclay » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:14 pm

Almost everything on that Steven Mitchell album is a contender- like "SavoyStyle"- ughh....shivers... lyrics make me laugh " Say it loud..I swing and I'm proud!"

The guy can move like crazy, but his music career is iffy.
"If you can't hear it.... you'll never understand it." -Satchmo

anton

#88 Post by anton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:56 pm

I came to think of this old thread when I listened to Mary Ann DeVries' excellent guest DJ set on Yehoodi Radio. She spins the great, original version of In the Mood by Edgar Hayes. AMG writes
"In the Mood" really changed the face of popular music during the 1930s and early '40s. Based on a lick borrowed from Wingy Manone, the tune became an international hit after Glenn Miller came out with a close cover using the same arrangement about a year and a half after this version was recorded.
This version proves that the song is not bad at all - only subsequent covers. Stompy as hell, and probably excellent for balboa. Thank you, Mary Ann!

zzzzoom

#89 Post by zzzzoom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Ah, thanks! :D

michael-t

#90 Post by michael-t » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:58 pm

anton wrote: This version proves that the song is not bad at all - only subsequent covers. Stompy as hell, and probably excellent for balboa. Thank you, Mary Ann!
I have a blues harmonica version by Walter Horton from "Sun Records 25 Rare Blues Classics" (2003). It's up on emusic.com if you want to check it out.