What's the worst swing song ever?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

What's the worst swing song ever?

#1 Post by gatorgal » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:49 am

So I'm bored at work, reading this CNN article on Blender mags list of the top 50 worst songs ever... which of course led me to the inevitable question...

What is your pick for the worst swing song ever?

Yeah, I'm opening Pandora's Box, but like I said, I'm bored.

BTW, Blender picked "We Built This City" by Starship as the worst song ever. Which makes me feel like total '80s geek because I always liked that song. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:58 am

A geek with some funk taste in pop music.

Here are my top three:

"White Wedding" The New Morty Show
"Paint It Black" Nick Palumbo & His Flipped Fedora "Orchestra"
"Detroit Swing City" Alien Fashion Show (???)

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:59 am

I hate that stupid song that I don't even know the name of with the guy making Chicken noises.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Platypus

#4 Post by Platypus » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:30 am

Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Taco, In the Mood (synthesizer hell, if you don't believe me, check out the sound bite on Emusic)

Re chickens, do you mean Slim Gaillard or Ray Steven's chicken version of "In the Mood"?

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:33 am

It's not Slim. It's the one where he goes on for like 2 minutes making chicken noises in the end. It's a hi-fi song. I guess it is Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:38 am

Kristina - The Taco songs, they are so bad they are good. I liked the "Puttin on the Ritz" when it first came out, I was in middle school or something like that. Listening to the whole album (via eMusic), you realize there are ridiculous songs on there.

I love Slim Gallard, but I have never been a fan of the Chicken Rhythm or the Laughing Song. But, I would not say they are anywhere near the worst songs ever.

Kalman - Seems like you have an issue with neo-swing covers of 70s/80s songs.

Shanabanana

#7 Post by Shanabanana » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:54 am

Chicken In The Mood.

Or anything else with chickens.

Ron

#8 Post by Ron » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:56 am

Oh, I hated "We Built This City" passionately.

The worst swing song? Well, of course we don't play the really awful stuff, like anything off the CD I was sent "Swinging to Sting". But of the stuff that gets played, or conceivably gets played, perhaps one of the following is my vote for the worst swing song ever:
  • Brian Setzer's version of "Jump Jive and Wail" or anything else on the excretable Dirty Boogie.
    Crescent City Maulers version of "Jump Jive & Wail" on their Screamin CD, which ranks as my least favorite CD out of 500+ on my review website.
    "Jump Jive & Wail" by Big Daddy Orchestra on Next Generation Swing 2.
I can tolerate the Louis Prima version.

gatorgal

#9 Post by gatorgal » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:05 am

Shanabanana wrote:Chicken In The Mood.

Or anything else with chickens.
Now, see, when I hear that song I start laughing like a pure grade idiot. :lol: Chicken noises are funny to me. But then again, I think Austin Powers is funny. But I digress...

Does anyone remember that song that "We The Boys Will Rock Ya!"... that would be my vote for worst swing song.

I think my vote for worst song is a tie for "Achy Breaky Heart" (which was on the Blender top 10) and "Blame It On the Rain" by Milli Vanilli. I don't know how Milli Vanilli didn't make their top 50.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Doug

#10 Post by Doug » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:08 am

ANYTHING & EVERYTHING by Rumble King. See comment on Albums I Wish I'd Never Bought thread

mousethief

#11 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:20 am

Nate Dogg wrote: Kalman - Seems like you have an issue with neo-swing covers of 70s/80s songs.
Yeah, but those were so damned bad that they stood out above other bad music. Hell, "Baseball Bat Boogie" was just as bad but not the same as taking a classic Stones piece and trying to do it in a fedora with some instruments you picked up at Easy Sal's Pawn-n-Go.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

sonofvu

#12 Post by sonofvu » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:06 pm

I have Louis Armstrong doing a version of Frankie and Johnny. Simply ghastly.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

RaleighRob

#13 Post by RaleighRob » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:18 pm

Ella Fitzgerald - Sing Song Swing

It's not that the music is bad. It's actually kinda nice. Maybe it's just my asian half, but those words are just wrong.

Lyrics here

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:44 pm

RaleighRob wrote:Ella Fitzgerald - Sing Song Swing

It's not that the music is bad. It's actually kinda nice. Maybe it's just my asian half, but those words are just wrong.
Manu plays that song! He's in trouble now, brother.

Kalman

GemZombie

Re: What's the worst swing song ever?

#15 Post by GemZombie » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:47 pm

gatorgal wrote:So I'm bored at work, reading this CNN article on Blender mags list of the top 50 worst songs ever... which of course led me to the inevitable question...

What is your pick for the worst swing song ever?

Yeah, I'm opening Pandora's Box, but like I said, I'm bored.

BTW, Blender picked "We Built This City" by Starship as the worst song ever. Which makes me feel like total '80s geek because I always liked that song. :)

Tina 8)
Anything by Hipster Daddy-O and the Handgrenades or Swingerhead. Both are equally vile.