Teaching people to hear music (not while DJing)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

Re: Teaching people to hear music (not while DJing)

#16 Post by yedancer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:45 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
yedancer wrote:Any ideas on good songs to use in that regard?
"Easy Does It" by Basie and Friends.
Hmmm. That's a good idea.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#17 Post by yedancer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:46 pm

Doug wrote:But there are some songs - especially riff based pieces - where NOBODY can miss the 1 and the phrasing. Is this what you are looking for??
Yes, I think that would help a lot. If you have a list already made up, I would definitely appreciate a copy.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

paul13

#18 Post by paul13 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:32 pm

tell the person to watch footloose and "study" the part where kevin bacon teaches chris penn to "feel the beat."

i'm so split on this whole discussion. i really feel that dancing is about feeling and not counting. i think numbers just confuse people when it comes to music. i can't count the amount of times someone has asked me, "what beat are you doing that step on?." i don't know, nor do i care and neither should you.

numbers are for math, not music.

i know a lot of people disagree with this theory but i can't help but "feel" this way.

make your friend a tape with some really easy to follow hard-hitting beats and help them to "feel" the beat. eventually, they'll get it.

djstarr

Re: Teaching people to hear music (not while DJing)

#19 Post by djstarr » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:03 pm

yedancer wrote:I have a friend who I'm teaching some basic dance steps to. Unfortunately, he has trouble "hearing" the music. He has no idea when the 1 is, and in fact I think he may even have trouble hearing the beat.

He wants me to help him learn how to "hear" the music. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I figured I would get a song with a very clear beat and start from there. Any ideas on good songs to use in that regard?
when I first started dancing my friend who was the lead I practiced with couldn't hear 1. He started listening to swing mixes (I'm pretty sure he had Frankie's CD) in his car. After about 3 months of this he started being able to find 1 consistently.

I also think turning the bass up and trying to listen down helps a lot.

Goody Goody by Ella Fitzgerald is an easy song to dance to with a big beat and a big clapping section in the middle where they actually clap on the 2 and 4.

and I like Julius suggestion about Indigo Swing - Lavay and Lily Wilde are also good choices --- modern recordings, big bass, lots of vocals. For people who can't find the 1 high-fidelity is probably a good idea ;-)