Wynton Marsalis Quartet - "The Magic Hour"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

Wynton Marsalis Quartet - "The Magic Hour"

#1 Post by falty411 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:38 pm

This is Wynton's fisrt album after signing his contract with Blue Note. I wonder if anyone has heard it yet? It feautures pianist Eric Lewis, bassist Carlos Henriquez, and drummer Ali Jackson. It also has tracks with Bobby McFerin and Diane Reeves singing.

I am a big fan of Wynton and when he wants to swing, he swings HARD. I was just wondering what this album is like.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

main_stem

#2 Post by main_stem » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:44 pm

Hmmm..... I've heard some of it and it seem more for listening than dancing. Lots of different themes going on.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:56 pm

"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:53 pm

thanks for posting that Kevin - I could listen to Wynton's voice all day long --- "you gotta put the blues on 'em".

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:27 pm

what about miles hatin' on Wynton

too funny
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Yakov

#6 Post by Yakov » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:56 am

there are a lot of jazz musicians who have a problem with wynton... his reactionary traditionalism, his ego, his playing style, his goofy-looking horn, his inaccurate stories and demonstrations on ken burns jazz...

main_stem

#7 Post by main_stem » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:22 am

falty411 wrote:what about miles hatin' on Wynton

too funny
I thought Miles hate everyone and one point or was that the coke talking.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

mark0tz

#8 Post by mark0tz » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:41 am

I haven't heard the album in the topic yet, but I do have a copy of the Branford Maralis Quartets's "Romare Bearden Revealed." Wynton appears on a few tracks... There is some nice blues on it, but I need to give it another listen to se if it would be worthwhile for a SwingDJ to acquire (don't think it would be). One thing I do remember is that Delfeayo Marsalis owns it up on the trombone.

On a side note, the album I'm talking about is a tribute to, or even a collaboration with, Romare Bearden and his art. Bearden was a Harlem Renaissance painter who helped capture the feeling and colors of a time and place that we're all still fixated on today. His friend, Max Roach has said, "It's not that there's necessarily nothing going on. There's always a pulse there. There are times when there's nothing but the pulse... Bearden's paintings are like that."

I think he still has some stuff downtown at the Smithsonian that I plan on checking out this Sunday...
Mike Marcotte

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:10 pm

Yakov wrote:there are a lot of jazz musicians who have a problem with wynton... his reactionary traditionalism, his ego, his playing style, his goofy-looking horn, his inaccurate stories and demonstrations on ken burns jazz...
yeah, it's a good thing that Miles didn't have any ego (lol!)

I have a huuuugggeeee crush on Wynton so I'm sure I'm not objective, but I think what sets him apart from other jazz musicians is his humanism and his focus on education. I was spell bound everytime he had a section on Ken Burns jazz and I loved how he could imitate all the other trumpet styles.

What stories were inaccurate? I'm curious.

RaleighRob

#10 Post by RaleighRob » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:28 pm

I previewed this album on iTunes, but you really can't tell much from 30 seconds of each track. I only downloaded one track, "Baby, I Love You". I wish I'd known the vocalist was Bobby McFerrin before I did...

Allmusic didn't think much of the CD.

I played "Baby, I Love You" at our dance last night. It was well received (except for a couple of wonky piano phrases in the middle). It doesn't swing hard, but it's... nice. Just nice. Not great.