Relation between music and dance

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

Relation between music and dance

#1 Post by yedancer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:09 am

paul13 wrote:
one more thing. there's no such thing as lindy music
There was this one lindy hopper I heard once who said, "Lindy Hop is done to swing music." What was his name? Oh yeah. Frankie Manning.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

mousethief

Re: i'm famous

#2 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:35 am

yedancer wrote:
paul13 wrote:
There was this one lindy hopper I heard once who said, "Lindy Hop is done to swing music." What was his name? Oh yeah. Frankie Manning.
It's true, I have it on tape.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

falty411

#3 Post by falty411 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:13 pm

There is no such thing as lindy music? hmmm

the same could be said about foxtrot. There is no such thing as foxtrot music. It is not a musical genre. However, any record you would of seen released in the 30s, a lot of them would say the song name, and then in parenthesis (Foxtrot).

Is there no such thing as tango music? Is there no such thing as polka music? Are polka dancers out there arguing if they should dance to old school polka or to Barbara Morrison?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#4 Post by falty411 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:15 pm

yedancer wrote:
paul13 wrote:
The same has been said by Al Minns, Sugar Sullivan, Jennie LeGon, Norma Miller, George Sullivan, Mama Lu Parks, etc

but what do they know.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:17 pm

paul13 wrote:what does it matter what kind of music is being played as long as you can dance to it.
Let's just say that because I can waltz doesn't mean that I necessarily want to waltz. Especially if I go to an event billed as a venue for lindy hop.

Now substitute whatever it is you want to play for "waltz" (WCS, "Groove," what-have-you) and you get the idea of some people's gripe.

Swifty

#6 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:28 pm

falty411 wrote:the same could be said about foxtrot. There is no such thing as foxtrot music. It is not a musical genre. However, any record you would of seen released in the 30s, a lot of them would say the song name, and then in parenthesis (Foxtrot).
Where does that leave all of the great swing tunes that are noted as Foxtrots on their labels?

Would you Foxtrot or Lindy Hop to this? Or neither?

Real Audio Sample
Last edited by Swifty on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Or this?

Real Audio Sample

Lindy Hop song or Foxtrot song?

Swifty

#8 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Or this?

Windows Media sample

I don't know if I could Lindy Hop to this, but trying to Foxtrot to it would kick my ass all over the dance floor.

falty411

#9 Post by falty411 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:08 pm

swifty, just so you know. yes you could foxtrot to all of that. we are talking about a late 20s / 30s style of foxtrot which is far different than foxtrot as it is done today.
-mikey faltesek

mousethief

#10 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:21 pm

I just talked with gatorgal and she's going to play nothing but Whitesnake and Loverboy for a fortnight to help settle the "swing anything" argument.

Too bad she does not have the Foreigner Belt....

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Swifty

#11 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:23 pm

falty411 wrote:swifty, just so you know. yes you could foxtrot to all of that. we are talking about a late 20s / 30s style of foxtrot which is far different than foxtrot as it is done today.
Okay, fair enough, but what would you do today if those songs were played? Also, in the 20s/30s did people only foxtrot to those tunes or did they lindy hop as well? I've never seen a label noted as "Lindy Hop."

I'm not really trying to prove any point here, I'm just curious.

Swifty

#12 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:29 pm

falty411 wrote:swifty, just so you know. yes you could foxtrot to all of that. we are talking about a late 20s / 30s style of foxtrot which is far different than foxtrot as it is done today.
This also makes me wonder, why is it okay that modern foxtrot is far different from 20s/30s foxtrot but a modern take on lindy hop is frowned upon by so many? Is it simply a ballroom vs vernacular viewpoint or is it something else?

Swifty

#13 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, sorry to interject discussion about music/dance in this thread, I didn't mean to interrupt the cat fight.

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:37 pm

Swifty wrote:I've never seen a label noted as "Lindy Hop."
It was due to marketing as it was thought that something labeled as "Lindy Hop" would not sell as well due to it's "evil" associations.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#15 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Swifty wrote: This also makes me wonder, why is it okay that modern foxtrot is far different from 20s/30s foxtrot but a modern take on lindy hop is frowned upon by so many? Is it simply a ballroom vs vernacular viewpoint or is it something else?
It's probably because none of give a rats ass about foxtrot, modern or otherwise. haha.
Reuben Brown
Southern California